Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 22-02-2018 11:29 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Why wait till May?  If you have information that could help please let us know. 

0 Likes
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@paul1277wrote:

I asked several follow up questions, and I will definitely post here when I get answers from Samsung.

Regarding the part about May, in the last message they sent, they said they would contact me by May to tell me more. I am assuming that this is the timeframe in which they plan to release the HDR10+ firmware update (if they aren't lying.) So that's why I said that if we do not get HDR10+ by May, I will pursue this even further.

Still, I am looking forward to seeing how they respond to my follow up questions. 

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@UHDHDRwrote:

@paul1277wrote:

I asked several follow up questions, and I will definitely post here when I get answers from Samsung.

Regarding the part about May, in the last message they sent, they said they would contact me by May to tell me more. I am assuming that this is the timeframe in which they plan to release the HDR10+ firmware update (if they aren't lying.) So that's why I said that if we do not get HDR10+ by May, I will pursue this even further.

Still, I am looking forward to seeing how they respond to my follow up questions. 

Be interesting to know who you are in contact with at Samsung and why they are.not giving the same I information on this forum .

0 Likes
Ronson808
Pioneer
Options

@paul1277wrote:

@Ronson808wrote:

I think sadly the customer is probably the lowest priority here, samsung are a huge global manufacturer and it wouldnt suprise me if the retailers were far more concerned with upsetting them over us lot.

I have no clue what could be going on behind the scenes though, maybe samsung are going to do the right thing and offer us something reasonable for their mix up. but Im not sensing the retailers are budging until that side of things is sorted out, so no harm in us waiting to see the resolution as it does at least appear like we are getting the same messages across the board. so something is probably being worked on.

then once they come back to us we can take it on from there if we arent happy, but we dont need the cost, hassle or uncertain outcome from us going down the small claims court. although I think its a decent case, from experience, that doesnt always translate to getting the right outcome. although of course that applies to samsung/retailers as well, probably more so as things do look quite clear cut. but its upto the person who looks at in on the day, and thats always fun.

I think you may find this "consultation " could be indefinite and an easy way to hope people give up.  Samsung have already told us there position on the smart connect and there is no response to the other issues. The retailers are using any excuss to try to get out of this.  Section 75 is the way forward. 

yeah I know, that was my first thought. I think on balance something is being discussed, but I wont rule out that its just time wasting.

but the thing about that, the retailers know my next steps so its only going to hurt their case to go along with it for nothing.

but a few weeks wont hurt as I dont have section 75... plus to give them a chance looks better as court is the last resort

UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

It was someone from the Office of the President. Still probably just a customer service rep. But the conversation happened through an intermediary (Better Business Bureau.) They were motivated to respond to me because if they do not do so within 10 days, the company's BBB rating takes a hit. The Samsung rep forwarded the inquiry to the engineering department a couple of weeks ago, and today I received the answer that I copy/pasted here.

Now, of course they could be lying again. But as I stated previously, lying in their own press releases as well as in a conversation being intermediated by a 3rd party, would be a bad look, and I'm sure it would have some adverse effect on their BBB rating. I am told that each conversation through BBB may be posted on their website. 

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@UHDHDRwrote:

It was someone from the Office of the President. Still probably just a customer service rep. But the conversation happened through an intermediary (Better Business Bureau.) They were motivated to respond to me because if they do not do so within 10 days, the company's BBB rating takes a hit. The Samsung rep forwarded the inquiry to the engineering department a couple of weeks ago, and today I received the answer that I copy/pasted here.

Now, of course they could be lying again. But as I stated previously, lying in their own press releases as well as in a conversation being intermediated by a 3rd party, would be a bad look, and I'm sure it would have some adverse effect on their BBB rating. I am told that each conversation through BBB may be posted on their website. 

They lied About HLG,  hdr10+,   and smart connect,  so what is new! 

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

Good result,

Sent Richer Sounds a simple email this morning detailing the issue and requesting a refund , they rang me back this afternoon offering a store credit for the full purchase price , superb service as always !!!

paul1111

Voyager

@paulyoung666wrote:

Sent Richer Sounds a simple email this morning detailing the issue and requesting a refund , they rang me back this afternoon offering a store credit for the full purchase price , superb service as always !!!

Well done, hopefully JL have seen the light and will offer the same to everyone else. Useful to put this update onto AV Forums.

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

@UHDHDRwrote:

@UHDHDR  just to confirm did you get a  firm confirmation from Samsung that HDR10+ / HLG upgrade will be available for 2016 and for all regions by May? 

0 Likes
CJH26
Navigator
Options

I know there has been debate on which topic info on smartthings/misselling should be posted but I felt this could be the best place to post it as it could pertain to both threads.

I noticed on Samsungs USA website they have posted a new 2018 TV, With something that looks rather familiar, A smarththings app for the TV to control your devices! Except this time it looks like you use your phone to pair and choose which devices you want on your TV.

Now the cynic in me makes me think could this be what Samsung & John Lewis are communicating about, The potential to port it to the KS series in order to try and avoid more returns?

What is also interesting to me (and any other gamers) is they are touting the auto-game HDR mode which was promised for the KS series!

I have attached a screenshot to this post and also a Link in case it is compressed, Or you can find it on Samsungs page.

Screenshot-2018-2-23 65 Class NU8000 Smart 4K UHD TV TVs - UN65NU8000FXZA Samsung US.jpg

0 Likes
amokuk
Voyager
Options

Samsung cant even turn on 4k iplayer for 1 year old tvs, the chances of enabling a 2018 tv feature is virtually nonexistent i would say!