Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Grinch wrote:

Hi

I wish I had been aware of this Samsung complaint site before I had purchased my KS9000, if I had I would have stayed with Sony.

What amazes me is how the Audio, AV and Hi-Fi magazines have not picked up on the poor after service given by Samsung. How do they ever justify their 5 star ratings on the Samsung products without taking into account their after service. It is absolutely clear they treat customers with disdain.

Follow the advice here and send it back for misrepresentation.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

@AntS wrote:

Morning folks.

Just a post to say that no further updates on this as of yet, other than that your concerns have been passed on, and that discussion is now taking place between the people above me about this matter. I’m unable to give a timescale, or predict the outcome, but as I said before, I’ll keep you all updated with what I can as I can.

Meanwhile, happy for the contributions and conversation between you guys (and anyone else who’d like to join in) to continue.

@AntS any update on this matter please. Is Samsung taking this issue seriously? I payed over £4500 pounds for a  KS9500 78" TV just over 6 months ago. I was under the impression that this was a flagship model and future proof for few years. Like most of the KS owners I am very disappointed with the lack of information and update from Samsung. We are not happy with the generic response provided by Samsung support. 

If I was you after seeing the evidence of Samsung's behavior I would be looking at sending it back for misrepresentation. The more that start the process the more pressure will be put into Samsung from the retailers for them to deliver their promises.

Paul

Sam-Knp
Navigator
Options

Update (10/01/18) 

Got a call from my local JL store (technical services) and the lady told me that they spoke to the "inhouse" samsung rep

and he told them that if the firmware is upto date the KS users will get HLG (ha ha ha!) - I told her categorically that this is about the BBC iPlayer HLG version..and she kind of understood - instead asked me to send them all the correspondence (which I have) to her..

Second set of call came from JL (central tech team) and the guy addresses HLG as "High Light Gamma" and I knew instantly that he didnt had a clue of what he was talking about..anyway I told him the story and he said BBC iplayer still in beta stage - and I confronted him by telling him that it went live with full series of blue planet 2 on Dec 10th

(probably I was more informed than he was!), so we hung up with the promise from JL that they are looking into this.. they never touched the subject of the "smartthings" yet!

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Sam-Knp wrote:

Update (10/01/18) 

Got a call from my local JL store (technical services) and the lady told me that they spoke to the "inhouse" samsung rep

and he told them that if the firmware is upto date the KS users will get HLG (ha ha ha!) - I told her categorically that this is about the BBC iPlayer HLG version..and she kind of understood - instead asked me to send them all the correspondence (which I have) to her..

Second set of call came from JL (central tech team) and the guy addresses HLG as "High Light Gamma" and I knew instantly that he didnt had a clue of what he was talking about..anyway I told him the story and he said BBC iplayer still in beta stage - and I confronted him by telling him that it went live with full series of blue planet 2 on Dec 10th

(probably I was more informed than he was!), so we hung up with the promise from JL that they are looking into this.. they never touched the subject of the "smartthings" yet!

Thta's good in that they may learn something and are actually loking into it and could be some pressure on to Samsung.

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Hopefully slowly but surely we are all getting our cases heard by Samsung in this forum and retailers by email and in writing.

Just an idea @paul1111 if anyone is successful and can prove they have got a full refund/replacement is it worth creating a new thread with this in it?

Because of the speed that this thread moves at any success stories could be lost very easily.

Sam-Knp
Navigator
Options

"Samsung has previously promised to bring HDR10+ support to some of its 2016 TVs, though this has not apparently been achieved yet" - so Forbes is stating this fact too.....

amokuk
Voyager
Options

He is right iplayer IS beta, however samsung have catagorically stated that they will not update 2016 tvs to enable this, EVER.

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

It would be nice to actually get an official response from Samsung on this matter if that ever comes to fruition.

Sam-Knp
Navigator
Options

that is something all of us would ideally want - but Samsung is avoiding this completely -

unofficially full range of SUHD TVs are obsolete!