Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 03-05-2018 08:29 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@gfsracing wrote:
Taken from another forum - dont sheet the messenger

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2387466-official-samsung-ks8000-ks8500-own...

Thankyou for that. Whilst we wait (possibly forever, 5 months and counting) for Samsung's official statements, we obviously all have to make do with alternatives. These range from journalist's articles on websites (lke John Archer's article without any named sources whatsoever), to little snippets of information like this. It is all we have, and I for one am very grateful for anything that we can learn, regardless of from where it comes. :smiling-face:

SammyMan
Apprentice
Options

Below is a link to a petition recently initiated by the well-known German tester BitsBytesBobs to request the release of the HDR10 + feature for the Samsung KS 2016 TV series with a 10-bit panel. The more we are, the better it is.

https://www.openpetition.de/petition/online/hdr10-for-2016-samsung-suhd-tvs

PS: remember to confirm the petition by clicking on the link that will arrive at the email you indicated at the beginning.

Jay108
Voyager
Options

Still no statement from Samsung!!!!

UHDHDR
Voyager
Options
Just an update on an old issue on Amazon Prime Video, because I know there are some AVS Forum posters here who also experienced this. With regards to episode 10 of season 1 of Man in the High Castle vs the other episodes in the season, this is what Amazon has to say:

>>>>>> I have reviewed UHD and HDR targets for episodes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 of Man In The High Castle for Global market (Canada).
Comparing the same frames of the opening title sequence, there appears to be slightly different HDR mastering between the episodes. Please see attached screenshots.
We are seeing inconsistent color and brightness values across episodes. We would not expect to encounter differences in brightness and color during opening title sequences of different episodes in a series.
The HDR10+ are visually identical throughout the opening sequences. <<<<<<<<<

So it appears that the inconsistent image quality on this and other shows on Prime only occurs with HDR10, and not with HDR10+. With HDR10+, they are consistent for all episodes within each series.

Sucks we won't be getting HDR10+. We'll see if they find a fix for HDR10, though.
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

Interesting, well done for actually getting them to reply. I wish they'd admit they are not streaming HDR10Plus, though. One press release saying they were launching HDR10+, and since then there's been no sign of it even on the 2017 Samsungs. No-one has seen it.

Amazon's own help page says:

"If your television is compatible, and the Prime Video title supports it, an "HDR10+" label appears instead of the normal "HDR" label in the video details.".

Not one user has ever seen the HDR10+ label appear in Amazon's app on their Samsung 2017 model TV.

UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

Interesting, well done for actually getting them to reply. I wish they'd admit they are not streaming HDR10Plus, though. One press release saying they were launching HDR10+, and since then there's been no sign of it even on the 2017 Samsungs. No-one has seen it.

Amazon's own help page says:

"If your television is compatible, and the Prime Video title supports it, an "HDR10+" label appears instead of the normal "HDR" label in the video details.".

Not one user has ever seen the HDR10+ label appear in Amazon's app on their Samsung 2017 model TV.

They claim that they are indeed streaming HDR10+ and that the aforementioned issue is not present on HDR10+ content, as they've compared the episodes between the two formats.

John Archer stated a while ago that his contact at Panasonic confirmed that Amazon was streaming HDR10+, but that it wasn't the final signed off version. 

My guess is that they simply have not implemented that HDR10+ label for HDR10+ content, despite what their website says. It doesn't seem like that page is very accurate. For example, it says that only 2016 LG OLEDs support DV on Prime, but there are other brands that do as well.

I did mention to them that people with compatible TVs are not seeing the label, and they're working on it.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@UHDHDR wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

They claim that they are indeed streaming HDR10+ and that the aforementioned issue is not present on HDR10+ content, as they've compared the episodes between the two formats.

Yes, I agree with you that this is their claim :). But, I'm sick and tired of hearing the same claim for months now, always with no evidence (NB I'm not shooting you the messenger here, my ire is with both Amazon and Samsung (see below!)). I've had enough, I've finally decided that until I see hard proof, I don't believe them. In a Victor Meldrew way :smiling-face:

In this post I use the term "HDR10Plus" because it's very difficult to search for "+" in posts later.

@UHDHDR wrote:

John Archer stated a while ago that his contact at Panasonic confirmed that Amazon was streaming HDR10+, but that it wasn't the final signed off version. 

Yes he did state that, and I believe that the anonymous person from Panasonic was sincere in their belief that Amazon was streaming HDR10Plus. I beleive that JA is sincere enough in his belief to report the anonymous rumours like this that he is given so that we can decide for ourselves. JA is just a conduit.

However, again, zero proof exists 😞

@UHDHDR wrote:

My guess is that they simply have not implemented that HDR10+ label for HDR10+ content, despite what their website says. It doesn't seem like that page is very accurate. For example, it says that only 2016 LG OLEDs support DV on Prime, but there are other brands that do as well.

I did mention to them that people with compatible TVs are not seeing the label, and they're working on it.

Yes, if they actually are streaming HDR10Plus, I would definitely agree with you, that the label is broken.

IF! :smileyhappy:

Amazon claim they've been "working on" this bug ever since the launch happened and people said they couldn't see the HDR10Plus icon where it should be. How hard can it be? The length of time to fix this, again, leaves nothing but deep doubt that they are sincere.

The situation we have now is the result of at least two "bad actors" involved:

(1). Samsung, the manufacturer of the TV, refuses to allow the customer to see the Signal Details whilst they are running one of the internal apps. Ie, the "Info" function on the remote which - for HDMI sources and the internal tuners - shows resolution, frame-rate, etc. It doesn't show anywhere near enough information (see (4)), but it shows SOME information. But instead, for internal apps, Samsung thinks that leaving this decision up to the app developer is acceptable (it is not acceptable - see (2)).
(2a). Amazon, the developer of the app, refuses to divulge the Signal Details of its app (some apps aren't even 4k, they are 1080p for example), and

(2b) within the apps, Amazon also refuses to divulge enough information of the Stream Details whilst the stream is playing. Ie, the playback bar merely saying "HDR" instead of either "HDR10" or "dv" or "HDR10Plus" during playback.

This is not good enough and will not do! If either of those situations were resolved, we would not have to rely on BOTH parties to play nicely at the same time, which we currently have to do. 😞

(3). Amazon, the developer of the app, claims that a label on a different screen shown BEFORE playback happens is going to directly tally with the stream which happens when you press "play", in the future after they fix this bug (reported many, many months ago).

The current "bug" situation, they claim, is that the label is wrong and "the stream is HDR10Plus, honest, just trust us". Well sorry, I do NOT trust them and there is no proof whatsoever it's a HDR10+ stream, and we can't ever prove it because of (1) and (4) 😞

(4). Samsung, the manufacturer of the TV, refuses to improve the Signal Details banner such that is shows PROPER detailed technical information. Eg WHICH flavour of HDR is being decoded - HLG? HDR10? HDR10Plus? Just the word "HDR" will NOT cut it at all any more. What is the chroma sub-sampling, is it 4:4:4, 4:2:2, 4:2:0, etc? PC Gamers want visual confirmation of this kind of thing.

People like us who NEED all this information are completely left screwed over and forced into guessing or asked to believe dubious press releases; people who don't care won't mind or even notice if it's added to the banner. It should all have been there in the first place.

Phew, that wasn't going to be such a long post :smiling-face:

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

And still nothing from Samsung!

We where told by @AntS that a reply from Samsung was very close. Can I ask how close?

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

And still nothing from Samsung!

We where told by @AntS that a reply from Samsung was very close. Can I ask how close?

Each day is closer to the reply, and death, whichever is soonest who knows.