Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@blenky 

OK say sorry!  There is currently a trail for a new Virgin Media firmare for the V6 box that has HDR firmware.  Users on the trial have confirmed that the iPlayer beta Planet Earth 2 clip does play in HLG over HDMI.

Ok so where is the link saying so?

Link below - top post on page four of this thread from the VM support community.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/Where-the-hell-is-HDR/td-p/3627698/page/4

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@BAMozzy wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

How? Even our Italian friend said it was not a fix for SKY HLG!

What other devices do you know will all so do Iplayer HLG over HDMI!

If I am wrong then I will say sorry again!

All the EDID fix does is tell the device its connected to a HLG enabled TV. When a device receives the EDID, it knows what the specs of the TV are. At the moment, the EDID only states the TV is HDR but devices (like Sky and DirectTV) want to receive notificaion its connected to a HDR enabled TV before it will send HLG. Its NOT a fix for the SkyQ device or Sky itself but it does tell the Sky box that it is connected to a HLG TV so that the device WILL send HLG content.

Any HLG device that requests the information its connected to a HLG TV before sending HLG content (like Sky and DirectTV) will NOT send HLG to a KS TV UNTIL they fix the EDID to include that information. Any HLG device that doesn't need that information or just that its connected to a HDR TV before sending HLG will WORK currently with a KS TV over HDMI.

Until Samsung update the EDID, there will be very limited HLG devices that will send HLG to the TV - When they fix it though, these devices will send HLG. Its not that the TV can't play HLG over HDMI, its that the devices don't know they are connected to a HLG enabled TV and therefore NOT sending the HLG signal. They are only sending the SDR version.

The equivalent would be connecting a 4k HDR Bluray player to just a 4k SDR TV. Because the TV doesn't tell the player its HDR enabled, those 4k HDR discs still play but only in SDR. This is why the fix is important. Its NOT a fix for Sky as was stated, its a fix to the information that the TV sends to Sky (or anyother device that's connected)

I don't know how else to explain it. Its been stated time and time again. If you go back to the end of Feb in this thread, the information was stated then too - inc the comments about Samsung planning to fix the EDID - in fact we had a discussion about it because you were aggressive about the fact that it wouldn't be fixed by the time F1 arrived in Italy and was speculated to arrive a month (or more) after.

The ONLY thing that has changed since the discussions around this back in Feb is time. We are still in exactly the same position we were in then. The same issue is still in effect and we are still waiting for a fix to the EDID - the information the TV sends to a device that tells that device what specs the display is capable of - nothing more. All a HDFury does is add a bit more info to that EDID the device receives, telling it that it is connected to a TV that is HLG enabled and therefore that device will send HLG content. Nothing else is changed.

Seems to me you are not answering the question it looks like copy and paste a stock answer, which is very long to confuse everone.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@blenky wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@blenky 

OK say sorry!  There is currently a trail for a new Virgin Media firmare for the V6 box that has HDR firmware.  Users on the trial have confirmed that the iPlayer beta Planet Earth 2 clip does play in HLG over HDMI.

Link below - top post on page four of this thread from the VM support community.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/Where-the-hell-is-HDR/td-p/3627698/page/4

Its the same as Sky as it is over HDMI and as we know the KS without the EDID update can not recieve it. Show me where a KS can recieve the HLG broadcast from Virgin over HDMI. LG and Panasonic 2016 and newer I agree will be able, but at the moment not the KS and older. So not yet ready to say sorry!

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@crashcris wrote:

I see some people have forgotten that it would be greatly appreciated if posters didn't copy and paste WHOLE threads to comments that they're determined to argue over, it really messes with the "feng shui" of these pages.

And what they say does not actually tell us anything. They will not answer actual questions, just stock answers, bit like Samsung support!

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@blenky wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@blenky 

Its the same as Sky as it is over HDMI and as we know the KS without the EDID update can not recieve it. Show me where a KS can recieve the HLG broadcast from Virgin over HDMI. LG and Panasonic 2016 and newer I agree will be able, but at the moment not the KS and older. So not yet ready to say sorry!

Yes it's the same situation as Sky, I didn't claim otherwise.  All I was doing was giving another example of where KS owners (well VM subscribers that is!) WOULD be able to get iPlayer HLG WHEN and IF samsung fix the EDID.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@blenky wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@blenky wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@blenky 

Yes it's the same situation as Sky, I didn't claim otherwise.  All I was doing was giving another example of where KS owners (well VM subscribers that is!) WOULD be able to get iPlayer HLG WHEN and IF samsung fix the EDID.

And I asked where can a KS owner now recieve HLG over HDMI and Iplayer HLG over HDMI, also Sky? I now know I will get the same very long stock answer which tells us owners nothing. That is all I have been asking as a KS owner. But some have tried to muddy the waters with loads of tech stock answers which actually say that untill Samsung update the EDID then the KS and older owners are stuffed. There has been mention of this HDfury, but is that a real alternative and I think if we are forced down that route then again it shows a real lack of support from Samsung. And where is the support from Samsung in the way of keeping us updated? Nill!!!!

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@BAMozzy wrote:

The ONLY thing that has changed since the discussions around this back in Feb is time. We are still in exactly the same position we were in then. The same issue is still in effect and we are still waiting for a fix to the EDID - the information the TV sends to a device that tells that device what specs the display is capable of - nothing more. 

Exactly right! Thankyou for restating it so clearly.

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@paul1111... You ask some very good questions, it would be good to get some answers but at least your KS TVs can (potentially) play HLG even if it is through an external product

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options
@paul1111 wrote:
[invective snipped]
And where is the support from Samsung in the way of keeping us updated? Nill!!!!

It is tardy in the extreme.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@crashcris wrote:

@paul1111... You ask some very good questions, it would be good to get some answers but at least your KS TVs can play HLG even if it is through an external product.

Yes I am sorry that yours can not. If they can fix the EDID it may apply to your JS as well. Even the LG 2015 sets are now out of date. Not good really and I think this an industry wide marketing strategy to sell more new tellies, and not just Samsung. In fact I think they are all involved to rip off consumers.

0 Likes