Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 16-02-2018 01:20 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

wrote:

It depends what you define as live broadcast... BBC will deliver live HLG broadcasts via iplayer. "To be clear for the umpteenth time there will never be over the air 4k broadcasts in the UK, there is no bandwidth available."

The US is different and probably why its been easier for them to adopt HLG quicker, or at least apparently so. 

Realise you may be specifically taking about Iplayer 4k/HLG and it  is the popular service  , however just to point out that Sky do broadcast  limited  UHD content OTA  (though mostly sport and of course they don't currently support HDR), also the case for BT sport with their equipment.   Don't think we can make direct comparisons with the US even it may be a bit frustrating, may be a little while before we have significant HLG content on Iplayer.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

wrote:
I feel we are nitpicking here, however i stated 4k could not be broadcast over the air in the UK. Whilst it is true that HLG could be broadcast over fhd the chances of that happening when you would need a 4k TV to get that functionality and the fact that the bbc and ITV have nailed their colours to iplayer and freeview plus respectively makes that option vanishingly small in my opinion.

Whilst we are nitpicking the fhd HDR broadcasts via Netflix like star trek discovery are HDR and not hlg.

It isn't nitpicking - it is how standards are defined, the whole idea bhind HLG is to make it backward compitable, there are no BBC 4K broadcast so why talk about backwards compitability then?

Answer is because non HDR 4K sets aren't the target demography, the target is FHD owners who should not be impacted when HLG goes online - this clearly means that BBC plan to use HLG regardless of the resolution - the problem would come when only 4K braodcasts use HLG in that case FHD sets wont be able to decode that in first place

Spend some time reading about HLG - nothing to do with 4K!

amokuk
Voyager
Options
You are missing my point... We are talking about 4k HLG on iplayer. Super great that some people might get FHD HLG over the air in a year or twos time and none HLG tv sets wont be impacted but given that to get HLG functionality you need a 4k set you don't think those people will want 4k resolution as well? At the risk of literally repeating myself over and over and over again the only way to get 4k HLG for say the world cup in 4 months time is via iplayer. We are not talking about the reason HLG is being employed, which i understand, we are talking about why my set cant receive it at all.

And i still think that OTA HLG (ie freeview) at 1080p any time soon is not going to happen if ever.
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Aware that  HLG is backwards compatible and may not be directly associated with 4k, however being the latest technologies they are generally linked by the tech world and it may be some time before HLG available via FHD.   In any case surely the bulk of the demand will be for both services.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options
Sony's ENTIRE line of mid-range 1080p sets from 2017 are HDR enabled.
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@amokukwrote:
You are missing my point... We are talking about 4k HLG on iplayer. Super great that some people might get FHD HLG over the air in a year or twos time and none HLG tv sets wont be impacted but given that to get HLG functionality you need a 4k set you don't think those people will want 4k resolution as well? At the risk of literally repeating myself over and over and over again the only way to get 4k HLG for say the world cup in 4 months time is via iplayer. We are not talking about the reason HLG is being employed, which i understand, we are talking about why my set cant receive it at all.

And i still think that OTA HLG (ie freeview) at 1080p any time soon is not going to happen if ever.

I am aware of iplayer issue  that is why I swapped my KS9000 for LGE C7, but as I've said before my response was on a comment made for HLG broadcast! Nothing to do with iplayer per se

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@TastyBurger666wrote:

yes that makes perfect sense as benefits for higher resolution diminish by the distance but HDR impact remains unchnaged, in fact 1080p + HDR has more impact than a 4K screen beyond optimal viewing distance (1.2 meters for 55 inch 4K screen)

Jay108
Voyager
Options

@Daleski75  I assume there is still no further updates from What hifi or flatpanelshd?

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@hdmiwrote:

@TastyBurger666wrote:

yes that makes perfect sense as benefits for higher resolution diminish by the distance picture to remains unchnaged, in fact 1080p + HDR has more impact than a 4K screen beyond optimal viewing distance (1.2 meters for 55 inch 4K screen)

I have  now had the replacement q9f for my 64ks9500 for 24 hours,  and not impressed.  The picture does not seem as sharp in SDR,  but it is really poor in HDR.  I think its brighter in SDR. Watching Netflix star trek in 4k HDR and its lime watching SD,  and terrible blooming and banding.  Also the corners are darker,  and the picture noise is like something from a very old Philips TV I had. Motion is another poor issue as well.  I have sent a picture to support and am waiting for a call back.  Just hope its a bad model and replace it.  

Paul

0 Likes
amokuk
Voyager
Options

I dont see how there can be when Samsung refuse to discuss the matter.

0 Likes