Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't switch digital output audio format on Netflix app

(Topic created on: 22-07-2020 02:11 PM)
IdoSams
Student
Options

I have a qe55q60r connected to a reciever. The sound works great, however when I turn on the Netflix app i get bad noise as described in Netflix-sound-not-working-on-UE50NU7400-with-digital-output.

According to that issue, the solution is to switch the digital outpu audio format to PCM, and it indeed worked for me for a while.

Since few days ago, I guess there was an automatic firmware update, however, not sure, when the Netflix app is on, the digital outpu audio format in the settings menu is grayed out with the option Dolby Digital+ and I can't change it, so I can't get rid of the noise. On the TV speakers this option is set to PCM and sound works well.

Can anyone please help me solve this? Or at list help me get the previous firmware version so I can see if it is a firmware issue? 

Thanks! 

55 REPLIES 55
Spider6891
First Poster
Options

Yes it's been intermittent for me as well. Talked to Samsung and Netflix support. And like everyone, this is specifically for Netflix, all other apps work fine.

Sometimes powering off the TV for a couple minutes and then powering back on for another couple minutes before launching the app works, but not always.

Through lots of experiments I narrowed it down to: if an HDMI cable (from any of the TV's HDMI inputs) is plugged into a device that supports Dolby Digital (such as my receiver), the Netflix app defaults/forces dolby digital audio output. As soon as the device is disconnected, PCM becomes available again. Plug the cable back in, 10 seconds later the PCM cuts out.

Unfortunately for me, while my reciever supports multiple codecs, my headphones support only PCM.

And the most frustrating thing is this all started at the end of Feb after an update, and it's been 4+ months since Samsung created the problem and they still haven't fixed it. Reverse the update Samsung and don't release forced/unrollable updates until the bugs are ironed out!

I guess dropping 2000$ on a TV doesn't buy the quality you'd expect.

Maybe I'll exchange for an LG OLED TV if they can't sort out their software within a few weeks.

Pissed off, previously loyal Samsung customer,

Samsung UN75RU8000F

RincewindUK
First Poster
Options

Turn tv on to a message that the software has been updated (version 1360) and Netflix appears to be working with Dolby Digital now. Not done extensive tests but it worked when I briefly tried, and even got a message when I tried to change the output to DD+ that my devices don't support it, which is right. 

0 Likes
ScottMoody
First Poster
Options

Installed fw 1361 last night and my issue with Dolby Digital+ audio via  internal apps over HDMI(3) ARC to my Denon reciever is still not resolved. 

0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

Same thing here. I thought this update would finally resolve it but no. Still buzzing loudly.

0 Likes
sirdir
Journeyman
Options

It sort of works for me now, but it's a mess!

Before the update, I couldn't get Netflix out of DD+ mode (my receiver is not DD+ capable, so the sound was distorted). 

For a while it was on DD after the update, all fine. But CEC doesn't work as expected. Receiver switches off, but not on with the TV. and now, all I can chose on the TV is PCM, DD is grayed out. What the heck. 

0 Likes
crackseller
First Poster
Options

The update to version 1361 solved the issue for me. Netflix outputs DD again. Finally!

0 Likes