Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking phone

(Topic created on: 3 weeks ago)
cjlee
Student
Options
Hello All!

My brother in law recently passed, and we are trying to see if there is a way to access his phone, in order to save any memories we have of him, before we restore the phone to factory. He had a Samsung A13, its only passcode protected, is there any way of unlocking the phone?

Many thanks
Chris
0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
AndrewL
Options

@cjlee: I'm very sorry to hear of your loss, and understand that preserving your brother in laws memory must be important to you. Sadly, the only means of unlocking a device without knowledge of the lock screen details is to arrange this via an authorised Samsung engineer. Please note that you will need to present valid proof of purchase for the phone, as the service relates to a security feature of the device. I hope this helps. 

cjlee
Student
Options
Thank you so much and thank you for this information. What alternative documentation can us as a family provide for proof of ownership? If we cannot find receipts of purchase.
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@cjlee: If the phone has been registered to his Samsung account, and you have access to the account, then it may be possible to provide a screenshot of the device details from here. I recommend speaking with one of our Support agents by heading to samsung.com > Scroll to the bottom of the screen > Contact us, and they will be able to provide further guidance. 

0 Likes
arianwen27
Pioneer
Options
Hang on a sec. Samsung can unlock any Samsung phone if valid proof of purchase can be shown? I was under the impression Samsung phones are secure and without a backdoor. It's a good and thoughtful idea for situations like what cjlee is sadly going through. But I'd expect unlocking without the code to be impossible. Can you clarify what exactly you mean by "unlocking a device"?
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@arianwen27: I am unsure of the process, however it is possible for our engineers to help customers regain access to their device. This doesn't present any security concerns, so please don't worry.

0 Likes