Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR blackscreen problems

(Topic created on: 09-10-2020 05:43 PM)
IIOIOE
Journeyman
Options

Hello,

I've bought my Samsung Odyssey G7 two months ago and experienced no issues until last week.

Since then, when HDR is activated through the monitor configuration menu, sometimes it happens, that while playing Star Wars Squadrons, Dota 2 or just watching a Twitch Stream, the screen turns black for 5 seconds, and comes back showing the message: Display Port 1 (HDR).

That happens randomly with no explicit event happening before.

When SDR is activated, no problems appear.

All cables are tight and in place, I already switched the display ports. Messages still pop up and screen turns black.

Does anybody experience the same issue or know what's the problem with it?

Latest firmware from 04.09.2020 was installed with USB-drive, monitor drivers are up to date.

Windows version is 2004 (19041.508).

Thank you in advance :smiling-face:

0 Likes
41 REPLIES 41
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Have you tried to reach our dedicated Support Team to have a look at this @AKF79 ? You can find all their contact details here: https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/contact/

0 Likes
IIOIOE
Journeyman
Options

Unfortunately it still happens in some games, or even when watching streams. Just out of nowhere my screen turns black for 5 seconds.

I hope Windows 11 fixes that with the Auto-HDR Support.

Samsung doesnt seem to care about this problem 😕

0 Likes
AG83
Apprentice
Options

It looks like I may have gotten it to stop by turning off Gsync in the Nvidia settings. I talked to Samsung here in the U.S. and the customer service rep said that the software group was going to look into it. Hopefully they find a fix (and that this does indeed fix it for now, I've had it seemingly go away for a bit then come back numerous times).

Update: turning off Gsync did not fix the issue. My apologies.

0 Likes
Kaifune
Apprentice
Options

Just bought this monitor and fought with black screen on and off, then displaying "Displayport 1 (HDR)".

For me it was a problem with duel monitors. One the G7 with HDR enabled, the other a small non HDR (I use for hardware monitoring). Once I disconnected the second display, no more issues with the G7 even with G-Sync and HDR enabled. Hope it works for you.

Also hope Samsung can address this. I imagine it's a driver issue, with windows 10 reading both the SDR and HDR monitors and the G7 reading it as a source switch, forcing a HDR 'turn on'. Only a guess as to what's happening but it makes makes a lot of sense.

AG83
Apprentice
Options

Yep, that makes sense. Since my last message I discovered that turning off GSync didn't stop the problem. I have the exact same setup - HDR main monitor and non-HDR second monitor. Unfortunately, it's almost 2022 and dual monitor setups are basically the norm, and my 2nd monitor is only a few years old and I don't plan on replacing it any time soon, either. 

I got it to stop doing the switching on and off by turning off HDR in the Windows settings. So one of the prime features of this monitor is something I can't use because Samsung is full of half-baked products like the G7 Odyssey and provides very little support. The last driver update they had was over a year ago. You'd think $6-700 monitors would receive more love...

0 Likes
AKF79
Apprentice
Options

I've to say, in my case with the G5, I've the same problem with HDR OFF in Windows. Moreover I've noticed the overall quality of HDR is really bad so I always preferred to shut it down, since the beginning one year ago. Now the Jog button for monitor menus is DEAD. I cannot believe how low is the quality of these products. At work I'm still using Dell monitors produced in 2008 and they are quite good, with all the buttons working. I'm so disappointed for this waste of money and time.

0 Likes
Kaifune
Apprentice
Options

Yeppers, same here. Either HDR off in Win10 or run one monitor with HDR on. Ideas on work arounds (untested) so far. First: Second monitor (is HDMI, the g7 is on DP) run though onboard graphics. Option B: Second monitor also run though a second DP off of a dedicated GPU card. Tertiary: Remove Samsung drivers and run generic Plug and Play Driver.  Fourth: Make the G7 the first listed Monitor by Windows. Currently it's listed second in windows 10, as my 'secondary monitor' was the only monitor for a moment while changing main displays.

I'm going to try the generic driver and HDMI though the rear IO. The others I'll have to test later. My secondary only has HDMI. 

Edit: After some testing, just setting the G7 first in the windows order (removing the secondary monitor, then reinstall [hardware only) SEEMS to have resolved the issue on it's own. I've been testing with HDR on, both monitors running and no more issues. 

Post Script: It'd be a subset of buyers for sure. But likely the cause for a few users, since replacing the main monitor while leaving the second connected defaults the second monitor to a primary position in Windows. Even setting the G-series as default didn't help while Windows listed it in the 2 spot. Only when I disconnected both monitors then plugged in the G-series first, was the issues resolved while running multi monitors.

Kaifune
Apprentice
Options

@AG83 did you get the problem to stop by running a solo monitor even with HDR on in windows? Would love to have it validated by a second set up.  Also is your troubled Samsung listed 1st or some other spot by Windows (more testing needed, but this might be the problem)?  Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
kenryubr
Explorer
Options

Hello,

I'm using my Dell G3 with NVIDIA
GeForce GTX 1660 and G7 Odyssey 27'' as a second monitor.

My Firmware was updated to v1011 and NVIDIA drivers were updated too.

I had the same issue. Everytime that the monitor goes off (standby or turned off) and try to turn on, it turn the lights on, HDMI is recognized but the monitor does not turn on and even the OSD stops to work.

I realized that the G7 monitor only turned on after I set the refresh rate to 60Hz on Windows advanced video settings or NVIDIA Control Panel. Different from that, it only turns on if I unplug and plug HDMI again.
You can set to 144Hz after that, but to turn on I always have turn back to 60Hz on Windows or unplug/plug HDMI.

You can set Freesync ON on OSD, with 60Hz set on Windows.

It seems to be a misunderstanding between the monitor and the input (windows/nvidia) when it is turned on.

Even when the Freesync is ON (Automatic refresh rate) OR Freesync is OFF (set manually as 120/144Hz) on OSD, the input will only be recognized if it's set as 60Hz on Windows/NVIDIA.

I don't know if it's either a Samsung's firmware problem or NVIDIA's driver problem.

0 Likes
CarlH
Options

Hi @kenryubr. Have you tried a different HDMI cable or even used a Display Port cable? 

0 Likes