Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR blackscreen problems

(Topic created on: 09-10-2020 05:43 PM)
IIOIOE
Journeyman
Options

Hello,

I've bought my Samsung Odyssey G7 two months ago and experienced no issues until last week.

Since then, when HDR is activated through the monitor configuration menu, sometimes it happens, that while playing Star Wars Squadrons, Dota 2 or just watching a Twitch Stream, the screen turns black for 5 seconds, and comes back showing the message: Display Port 1 (HDR).

That happens randomly with no explicit event happening before.

When SDR is activated, no problems appear.

All cables are tight and in place, I already switched the display ports. Messages still pop up and screen turns black.

Does anybody experience the same issue or know what's the problem with it?

Latest firmware from 04.09.2020 was installed with USB-drive, monitor drivers are up to date.

Windows version is 2004 (19041.508).

Thank you in advance :smiling-face:

0 Likes
41 REPLIES 41
AG83
Apprentice
Options

Studio drivers are different than Game Ready drivers and aren't optimized for gaming. You're using Studio Drivers while running games at 240 hz with HDR and Gsync enabled with none of the turning flickering on/off issues mentioned above?

0 Likes
Sparklight
First Poster
Options

Yes, but you can also go back to Game Ready driver version 472.12. Both work for me

0 Likes
AG83
Apprentice
Options

Go back 40 versions from the current 511.23 seems like a long ways back, I'll see how the Studio Driver works and report back

0 Likes
Kevin78
First Poster
Options

I can confirm this as a solution. Same issue, gone with Studio Drivers

0 Likes
MaxArceus
First Poster
Options

I have this issue as well, but also an even more puzzling issue. First my setup
G7 as main, 1920x1080 sdr 60hz monitor as 2nd. GPU a 3070ti. Running Windows 11 with auto hdr on.
If I turn on GTA5, my monitor goes off for a sec, and then the DisplayPort 1 HDR thing appears. It's mildy annoying, but no big deal.
Then the game starts up, and suddenly "No signal detected, turning off in 3.2.1.." .. overlayed over the perfectly displayed game. If I interrupt the message, by entering a menu of the monitor, forcing it to not turn itself off, I can simply start playing the game with an annoying UI overlay. No glitchy mess, no dropped frames or anything like that, looks fine.. other than message claiming it's not receiving a signal.
After the time's run out, the monitor turns off, windows freaks out and places the game into windowed mode onto my other monitor, causing the G7 to realize it's getting a signal, placing GTA back onto it, now in windowed mode, and it works. Then I go to the settings, turn on fullscreen, and it starts again. 

0 Likes
GENAB
First Poster
Options

I'm giving this a go. Hopefully finally this fixes it. For me, to get G7 to first monitor spot, it had to be plugged into the 2nd DP port from the right to get the 1st monitor position in Windows. The order of plugging in the monitors didn't change the 1st position for me (RTX 3080 GPU driving the monitors).

0 Likes
MaxArceus
First Poster
Options

So I tried this, and it didn't work. The monitor still turns off when I turn on GTA. 
In fact, it made it worse, now whenever my computer wakes up from 'monitor off'  mode, it connects/loses connections/reconnects FIVE times, rather than the previous three times. 

0 Likes
gorbash12346
First Poster
Options

I'm having this issue on my G75 27" as well, Have updated to the latest firmware and have tried studio nvidia drivers etc. none of them solve it. It is so intermittant that getting a recording of it is near impossible but when playing online it is extremely irritating. I've tried 3 seperate displayport cables including the supplied factory cable as well as trying different connectors off the back of my 3090 and then trying it from my other halfs computer. Same issue every time. Not what i expected from such an expensive monitor. Why are there no official fixes for this? 

ZombieWorm
Explorer
Options

Any updates on this?

I have only had the monitor about six weeks, seen odd thing but nothing too troublesome. Then today I had a problem as windows loaded logging on the display went funny and got the no signal detected switching off GUI.

After eventually getting back in the desktop, later when loading a game it was off screen and stretched like a funny resolution. I had to uninstall GPU driver to get normality again.

I had the HDR mode on and confirm odd issues with it toggling on and taking time as you switch into games etc. but it seems to be a known problem judging by posts all over online sources.

Is it a windows issue, gpu driver problem, or display fault? How on earth a £500+ product does not get attention and feedback on what is known is beyond me!

0 Likes
gorbash123
First Poster
Options
Samsung wouldn't take the screen for repair, kept taking me through new firmware versions and factory resets then losing my reference number and rinse/repeat. Took it back to the retailer (Currys) who also couldn't get them to take it for repair. They ended up getting me a new one that did exactly the same thing but more often. Managed to record it on the first day I got it. Took it back and got a full refund. I won't be touching another of their products after this experience and also similar with one of them Q95QE65 tv's. Feels like they are trying to hide from a known issue that they can't fix. I am sorely disappointed.
0 Likes