Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odyssey G7 menu button intermittently not working

(Topic created on: 15-12-2021 01:13 PM)
KEH93
Journeyman
Options

My #Samsung Odyssey G7 is around a year old, and recently it's been giving me problems

The main menu button on the back of the monitor sometimes, seemingly at random, fails to respond. Toggling the joystick left brings up the source menu, and down brings up volume. Left toggle does nothing, and the pressing the main menu button does not being up the menu.

Strangely, when scrolling through available sources, the directional buttons are inverted.

Holding down the menu button to put the monitor on standby (and get rid of the flashing light) also does nothing.

I have to pull the power cord instead, and this seems to reset the monitor and brings back menu functionality for a little while.

The sources that it uses are two HDMI sources (I have to swap cables when I want to use either device) and a Display Port source.

I am hoping to update the firmware to see if this fixes it, but as I am stuck on my work laptop (the Display Port input), I can't use a USB. Since I now can't switch source to my home PC without any kind of control, this will be an issue to update.

The button is not stuck, nor did it receive a bump or knock that may have broken it.

This is a real pain, and I'd rather not have to send my monitor (that I rely on for work and play) off for a few weeks/months if I can fix something on my end.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

43 REPLIES 43
Mickey009
Pioneer
Options
I'm reluctant to try this in case it breaks the monitor lol. I've only noticed the issue with the JOG Button after having the monitor since October
Pezzar
Explorer
Options

I had exactly the same last year when I got my new G7 (it had been in the shop a year and never updated).

DO NOT bang the button, take it apart or any of the other mad ideas on here. I cured mine simply by updating to the latest firmware. It was a bit of a faff but since then it's been perfect. Your software should be M-TG700CCAA-1014.1. Hope that helps.

Mickey009
Pioneer
Options
I opted to ring Samsung and see if they could do anything for me since its basically a new monitor. I do have the new firmware on a USB drive, but I can't get it to update without the button, such a pain lol
Pezzar
Explorer
Options

What did they say? are you definitely plugging the USB into the right port (there are 2 and only one is for the update USB). I managed to do mine even though the button wasn't working correctly. Can you physically take it back to the shop and tell them to sort it out?

Mickey009
Pioneer
Options
So it was from Amazon, i rang Samsung, so they are arranging a pick up for me. Yeah its in the right slot, I'm just unable to do the update unfortunately
mholtmanns
Apprentice
Options

Yes, don't be "brutal" with the button, it WILL break at some point. Been there, done that, but mosly out of annoyance. And latest firmware did not make a difference, although the button might have been damaged already when I bought the Display.
I thought I might add my latest status as well. Since RMA was not an option anymore for me I ordered a replacement button (Search for "CHG90 BN41-02578B jog button" G3986CP

(Picture above with broken off button and from here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/t3zak3/samsung_odyssey_g7_menu_button_fix/)

It is really easy to open up the monitor on the backside and replace the part.
For one I found that the small connectors that hold the actual button/stick to the PCB had broken off, which explains why wiggling and hard-pressing sometimes worked.
The second thing I saw was that the case opening for the button seems to have a design flaw. The button is recessed in a way that the stick can hit the case itself when moving it into any of the 4 directions. That way you need to use more force to get it to react than is good for the fragile connectors.
Which is why I decided to route the connector cable outside the monitor casing and attach the PCB outside of it for better accessibility. And since I did that earlier this year I had zero issues.

Pezzar
Explorer
Options

'So it was from Amazon, i rang Samsung, so they are arranging a pick up for me. Yeah its in the right slot, I'm just unable to do the update unfortunately'

Good news, they should sort you out then - mine was from a private seller on ebay so I was goosed if I hadn't fixed it. Got to say it was worth the hassle - beautiful monitor and I love it. Playing Days Gone atm and the graphics/monitor is sumptious to look at, the curve just sucks you into the game.

Pezzar
Explorer
Options

Yeah, it does seem the button isn't that sturdy - I got p*ssed off as well when I first had it and am lucky I didn't break it as I did 'smack' it a few times - and the firmware cured everything - been faultless here too now for a year.

0 Likes
Mickey009
Pioneer
Options
Yeah I love the monitor, I use it for work and gaming and was just disappointed when this started to happen. I'm praying they can solve the issue for me and I can easily swap my Inputs between the two
Pezzar
Explorer
Options

What you have described sounds like a firmware issue to me - you have to find a way to upload the latest firmware...M-TG700CCAA-1014.1. Good luck, maybe a local PC store can do it for you?

0 Likes