Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-03-2018 02:27 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
amokuk
Voyager
Options
@AntS
How soon is soon? Because we have now been waiting 3 months for an official answer to this. Are we to be waiting another month? Are Samsung talking with Sky and Virgin about how their systems are going to work? If so then they already know if sky Q and virgin V6 boxes are going to work or not with the KS series. They are about to launch for goodness sake...
0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

I have information that Samsung is working on to solve any problems with Sky Q in HDR. The new firmware will arrive but you do not have the time

Saverio Casadidio
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@hdmiwrote:

@paul1111wrote:

@hdmiwrote:

@paul1111wrote:

Interesting in the wrong way

The encryption media extension is too old in tizen 2.4. The version in the ks8000 is the same as that in the 2014 sets. Devs have raised this previously (not bbc but independents trying to create DASH based media players) they could never get it to work persistent errors with many things but I believe mainly with widevine and clearkey. This api baked into the os so short of giving the ks series a tizen 3 update it would have never worked, they had no such issues on 2017 sets

For those interested http://developer.samsung.com/tv/develop/specifications/media-specifications

Cheers

I always suspcted this, Samsung are killing off KS support just to shore up sales of 2017 sets

@I think it means that the ks and older will never get IPLAYER 4K and HLG. What worries me is Sky looks likely to use HLG and will the ks and older be able to show it. I have asked @AntS for an answer to this as Samsung must know because Sky are going to start very soon.  I hope its not going to be like IPLAYER when ks and older owners found it would not work when iplayer started its HLG test. 

Moment of truth is upon us so we will know if KS sets will work with SKy Q HDR (or HLG for that mattre) over HDMI or not

@AntS I have asked which devices can play HLG over hdmi and I being told it works but not getting any answer. It was said by someone that the pana player does only for an actual pana owner saying it did not. The ts samples that are said to show USB HLG,  has problems because the ks will not play ts  files. I even tested on a q8f and again it would not play ts files. The only source I have seen and had confirm is the TV app YouTube. What seems to happen when I ask these questions is i get drowned out. As to people working for companies is not an issue but I do not think it is unreasonable to ask. The issue with sky is very odd in that Samsung must know the answer and thier silence is worrying.  

I do not see how I have moved the goal posts,  if Samsung had come clean in the first place about not supporting iplayer back in 2016, then there would not be this thread. If Samsung had not promised the smart connect or hdr10 + then again their would be non of these threads. I think thisvthread sometimes has gone off in a tangent but at the end its still about IPLAYER HLG which again we have asked for a definite answer and non has been forth coming and yes that does cause upset when people me included spent over £3000 on what I thought, and  had read Samsungs own propaganda which was false on certain promises and also a bit short on r there 

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@amokukwrote:
Nice one, have sky italy told anyone the technical details of what transport layer its going to use to the TV?

Also I think everyone with sky 4k will already have the hdmi set to uhd. 

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@crashcriswrote:

Welcome back @AntS. Can't wait for the official Samsung statement. Fingers crossed that it's something like- "Sorry for messing you about and of course we'll be sending an update to your KS, JS  and earlier TVs to enable 4k UHD and HLG BBC iPlayer. We value your custom and unreservedly apologise for any turmoil caused, we truly are silly sausages."

And I got told off because I would not except the answers that were being used to divert us away from the issues that this thread is all about.  I would like to ask again what hdmi device can send a HLG signal to the ks and older? Is their any thing in the pipeline to send IPLAYER HLG to the ks or older?  I am still waiting.  If you give me the model number then it will give me a chance to ask the manufacturer the question. 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@amokukwrote:

Dont hold your breath... I reckon sky will use dvb-dash just like iplayer because guess what, it's broadcast standard that has been known about for ages. Won't matter if its over HDMI if they do.

And this is what is so disappointing us that Samsung must know the answer but are not coming clean. Bit like before the IPLAYER issue,  and then I think they just hoped owners would except their so called fix. 

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Saverio571wrote:

I have information that Samsung is working on to solve any problems with Sky Q in HDR. The new firmware will arrive but you do not have the time

Thats great,  so why did Samsung not tell us that?  What is this information, where did you get it? Can you post the link saying as much so we can all see and end this speculation. Still odd where you got this information !

0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

https://www.digital-forum.it/showthread.php?193907-Sky-4K-HDR-(DVB-S2-11219H-29900-5-6)/page38

Post 373

ERCOLINO is in contact with Samsung Italia 

Saverio Casadidio
Jay108
Voyager
Options

@amokukwrote:
@AntS
How soon is soon? Because we have now been waiting 3 months for an official answer to this. Are we to be waiting another month? Are Samsung talking with Sky and Virgin about how their systems are going to work? If so then they already know if sky Q and virgin V6 boxes are going to work or not with the KS series. They are about to launch for goodness sake...

Lets hope that  the Samsung response  is a positive one. 

0 Likes
amokuk
Voyager
Options
so a quick google translate of that

"
A clarification regarding the Samsung TVs 2016 (series K)

Currently via HDMI they do not yet support the HLG HDR (Only via USB and Tuner support HDR HLG)

Soon will come a new sw version that will also enable HDMI to the HDR HLG

While the 2015 models (J series) of Samsung will never be made compatible with the HDR HLG"

Essentially what I said ages ago, Samsung define broadcast as OTA only. It will be VERY interesting to see what happens here however I reckon you are going to be disappointed.