Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-03-2018 01:43 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@Chris325wrote:

I spoke to my contact at JL on Friday. He confirmed discussions were taking place at very high levels with Samsung involving JL lawyers and Samsung lawyers. He also said Samsung were not taking the matter nearly as seriously as JL and he recognised the impact this is having on JL own reputation. They are looking to arrive at a resolution for all people who have contacted JL complaints department rather than deal with them piecemeal hence the delay for which he profusely apologised.  

It does sound like JL are follwoing this up with Samsung aggressively but he couldnt tell me when it would be resolved which he appreciated was frustrating especially for me as it sounds like I was the first person who complained.

Any body on this forum therefore who has complained to JL I can only say they do appear to be acting on our complaints. He promised to call me end of next week for an update but he was unwilling to commit to whether the update would confirm the resolution. 

Anyone dealing with Currys and JL should let them know that Samsung reps are using the floor space of thier stores and still making promises like upgradable OCB - so legally Currys and JL should either kick them out or take the responsibility of Samsuiung claims 

0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@paul1111wrote:

Interesting in the wrong way

The encryption media extension is too old in tizen 2.4. The version in the ks8000 is the same as that in the 2014 sets. Devs have raised this previously (not bbc but independents trying to create DASH based media players) they could never get it to work persistent errors with many things but I believe mainly with widevine and clearkey. This api baked into the os so short of giving the ks series a tizen 3 update it would have never worked, they had no such issues on 2017 sets

For those interested http://developer.samsung.com/tv/develop/specifications/media-specifications

Cheers

I always suspcted this, Samsung are killing off KS support just to shore up sales of 2017 sets

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@hdmiwrote:

@Chris325wrote:

I spoke to my contact at JL on Friday. He confirmed discussions were taking place at very high levels with Samsung involving JL lawyers and Samsung lawyers. He also said Samsung were not taking the matter nearly as seriously as JL and he recognised the impact this is having on JL own reputation. They are looking to arrive at a resolution for all people who have contacted JL complaints department rather than deal with them piecemeal hence the delay for which he profusely apologised.  

It does sound like JL are follwoing this up with Samsung aggressively but he couldnt tell me when it would be resolved which he appreciated was frustrating especially for me as it sounds like I was the first person who complained.

Any body on this forum therefore who has complained to JL I can only say they do appear to be acting on our complaints. He promised to call me end of next week for an update but he was unwilling to commit to whether the update would confirm the resolution. 

Anyone dealing with Currys and JL should let them know that Samsung reps are using the floor space of thier stores and still making promises like upgradable OCB - so legally Currys and JL should either kick them out or take the responsibility of Samsuiung claims 

Interesting and hopeful.  Looks like  Richer sounds are giving refunds nothing heard about Curry's yet. 

I take your point but I now think they best thing is get the sales staff to actually confirm what they say on the sales invoice. Then you have future proof that the retailer did promise what you asked for or what the manufacturer is Advertising.  I have seen sales reps from both LG and Sony in Curry's , and be careful because the do not work for the retailer. Suppose its very cheap sales staff,  but they can say anything for a sale.  Get everything confirmed and in writing from the retailers sales staff.  And don't believe them when they say trust me I work for Samsung,  or LG,  or Sony as we know where that gets you,  because that is what the LG rep said to me! 

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@hdmiwrote:

@paul1111wrote:

The encryption media extension is too old in tizen 2.4. The version in the ks8000 is the same as that in the 2014 sets. Devs have raised this previously (not bbc but independents trying to create DASH based media players) they could never get it to work persistent errors with many things but I believe mainly with widevine and clearkey. This api baked into the os so short of giving the ks series a tizen 3 update it would have never worked, they had no such issues on 2017 sets

For those interested http://developer.samsung.com/tv/develop/specifications/media-specifications

Cheers

I always suspcted this, Samsung are killing off KS support just to shore up sales of 2017 sets

@I think it means that the ks and older will never get IPLAYER 4K and HLG. What worries me is Sky looks likely to use HLG and will the ks and older be able to show it. I have asked @AntS for an answer to this as Samsung must know because Sky are going to start very soon.  I hope its not going to be like IPLAYER when ks and older owners found it would not work when iplayer started its HLG test. 

0 Likes
AntS
Options

Hi all.

We're hoping to get an official final stance on this whole matter soon. I’ve already made my colleagues aware of the Forbes article – but other than that, as an official peep,  I’m unable to comment on it (hence why I hadn’t).

Some more general points/observations when reading stuff in this thread from the past week:

• In this thread, if you’re going to raise the question whether of HLG works at all, or how and in what ways, then any posts on that are to be expected, and are fine IMO. They’re at least more interesting and informative than a “bump”.
  • In response to demands (explicit or implied) of proof, like in good science, 'proof' is best coming from you folks in the Community trying out things for yourselves, and sharing your experiences, thinking, and knowledge with each other, rather than anyone from Samsung trying to convince you. Hence why me or anyone else from the company haven't repeatedly spammed the thread (or wider board) with posts about how "HLG has been enabled for broadcast services etc." or argued with anyone on here over it.
  • If you’re worried that talking about the workings of HLG somehow weakens or distracts from the issue that's been raised here of HLG availability on iPlayer on pre-2017 TVs (along with other issues): for those of us at this end, it doesn’t weaken or distract from that.
  • Not everyone who disagrees with you on a specific subject works for “The Enemy”. Differences of experience, knowledge, opinion, vision, perspective, or priority, happen everywhere - even between people on the same side of a particular fence. For example, it’s not like supporters of a sports club or national team don’t disagree on who should be playing for their team, the team tactics, or who the manager/coach should be, right?
  • Related to that: Saverio doesn’t work for Samsung (as I pointed out before). Neither does BAMozzy (as they’ve pointed out before). Not that it’d matter even if they did: what they’ve said regarding HLG can be tested, challenged/corrected/verified by anyone out there with the relevant equipment without resorting to questioning their motives or person. If you can't counter what they've put forward with anything other "You work for the company!" then it shows that your argument needs a lot of work... to say the least. (For those interested, it's a form of the ad hominem logical fallacy. Moving goalposts ain't good either BTW.)
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@paul1111wrote:

@hdmiwrote:

@paul1111wrote:

Cheers

@I think it means that the ks and older will never get IPLAYER 4K and HLG. What worries me is Sky looks likely to use HLG and will the ks and older be able to show it. I have asked @AntS for an answer to this as Samsung must know because Sky are going to start very soon.  I hope its not going to be like IPLAYER when ks and older owners found it would not work when iplayer started its HLG test. 

Moment of truth is upon us so we will know if KS sets will work with SKy Q HDR (or HLG for that mattre) over HDMI or not

0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

It probably works by setting the KS to UHD color On and HDMI Sky Q settings to 2160 HDR. On March 8, the new sw in Italy comes out for testers with 4k. After that date I give you the answer

Saverio Casadidio
amokuk
Voyager
Options

Dont hold your breath... I reckon sky will use dvb-dash just like iplayer because guess what, it's broadcast standard that has been known about for ages. Won't matter if its over HDMI if they do.

0 Likes
amokuk
Voyager
Options
Nice one, have sky italy told anyone the technical details of what transport layer its going to use to the TV?
0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

Welcome back @AntS. Can't wait for the official Samsung statement. Fingers crossed that it's something like- "Sorry for messing you about and of course we'll be sending an update to your KS, JS  and earlier TVs to enable 4k UHD and HLG BBC iPlayer. We value your custom and unreservedly apologise for any turmoil caused, we truly are silly sausages."