Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung galaxy watch 4 - If u have tattoos u cant wear a samsung watch and have it working properly?!

(Topic created on: 08-09-2021 06:19 PM)
RegP
Navigator
Options

So its true! If u have tattoos u cant wear a samsung watch and have it working properly, this is discrimination and a disgrace, this message will get deleted tho like my last

121 REPLIES 121
Steven1979yoxall
Explorer
Options
I've got tattoos on both my arms and found this to be true the watch works perfectly fine on my sons arm put it back on me and nothing if I pull it down to my wrist bone were I av a little bit of bare skin it works fine...wish I would av know this before....ive ad a few samsung watches and not ad this issue....back to garmin venu 2 it is
RegP
Navigator
Options
The only thing u can do to have notifications working all the time is stick a plaster on the back to cover the sensor so the watch thinks ur wearing it. But then heart rate sensor etc wont work
0 Likes
WelshPaul
Troubleshooter
Options

LOL discrimination and a disgrace? It's technology and it has it's limitations! 

My advice comes from being a UK Samsung iPhone user.

Current Devices:
  • iPhone 14 Pro 256GB Deep Purple
  • Samsung Galaxy Buds+ > Model: SM-R175.
RegP
Navigator
Options
All my apple watches worked fine and i had the gear frontier also fine 👍
WelshPaul
Troubleshooter
Options

Having done a Google search, Apple users whom have tattoos also experience such issues...

"I have tattoos covering both my arms and hands. My current Apple watch very rarely recognises that it is on my wrist and therefore cannot utilise most of the watches features. Has this issue been rectified with the series 5?"

"I just received my Apple Watch Series 6 and still got issues with tattoo."

I can post many more but see little point in doing so. 

It sucks, sure! But accusing a manufacturer of discrimination is just ludicrous IMO. If your watch doesn't work then send it back for a refund, and maybe wait until a sensor is developed that works with tattooed skin.

My advice comes from being a UK Samsung iPhone user.

Current Devices:
  • iPhone 14 Pro 256GB Deep Purple
  • Samsung Galaxy Buds+ > Model: SM-R175.
AntS
Options

@RegP wrote:

So its true! If u have tattoos u cant wear a samsung watch and have it working properly, this is discrimination and a disgrace, this message will get deleted tho like my last

Hi @RegP . On that last point, we merged your threads as they pretty much covered the same thing (in this case, your frustration with getting notifications to work on your Watch4 Classic): https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/wearables/galaxy-watch-4-classic-notifications-coming-through-an...

Community works best all round when threads about a topic are added to; as opposed to creating multiple individual threads about it – which just scatters and dilutes the topic matter.

I've also pitched a suggestion to the developers asking them to consider alternative ways of detecting whether the device is being worn other than the optical sensor: https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/wearables/suggestion-changing-the-method-of-recognising-if-watch... . Hopefully, we can get something in the future that works better for peeps with tattoos - at least for stuff like notifications.

Fi27
Journeyman
Options

I have a tattoo exactly where my watch sits and have no problems with it working properly 

Jude63
Explorer
Options
So glad I found this post. I have issues with notifications to my watch 4 classic.....I.e. I am not getting them at all. I have a full sleev on my left arm and now wondering if this is the issue.

Just run a test with my watch on my right wrist (no ink) and notifications came through just fine. So clearly tattoos are an issue, and I totally agree it is discrimination of sorts or certainly an oversight by designers. My watch 3 had no issues, nor did any of my previous Samsung watches (and my tattoos pre-date all of them), so I am very disappointed.

Does Samsung plan on a firmware update to address this?
RegP
Navigator
Options
The thing that gets me is fair enough that the lasers cant penetrate through the ink to read ur blood etc but for notifications to not work even tho the phone is paired to the watch is absolutely ridiculous! I can live with all the health apps not working but notifications is the main selling point to millions!! Surely they should advertise the tattoo issue before selling them! Oh ofcourse not as theyd lose millions of our hard earned pounds.