Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Gear Sport Not Tracking Heart Rate When Exercising

(Topic created on: 07/08/18 10:38)
Stevevdb3000
First Poster
Options
Wearables

Hi, is anyone else having this issue with their gear sport or gear S3?

I have had 3 gear S3's and now changed it to a gear sport and am still getting the same issue. 

When I first went out cycling with the gear sport yesterday, it tracked my HR just fine when displayed in the shealth app but since then it is just showing it go up and then a straight line which is obviously wrong. I think its a software issue. The gear S2 does it fine.

See graph 1st use and then whats happened since - before and after:1st use cycling1st use cycling

2nd use and onwards use2nd use and onwards use

487 REPLIES 487
Celiawheelia
Pathfinder
Options
Wearables

So I have had more double counting heart rate readings the last few days....

I was walking the dog this morning using the manual exercise walking option,mainly as it seems the best option for my running,and I noticed while walking on flat my HR was 182 which is higher than when I am running 🤔 so hmmmmmmm......

Then tonight when I was walking I had another HR reading up in the high 170's and low 180's and I wasn't out of breath or anything. 

The longer this goes on, the more upset and frustrated I am. I spent £300 on this smart watch with what I felt was confidence,due to my general brand confidence. What a fool. 

I had a fitbit and moved away from them as I had massive connectivity and sync issues, was very active on the community and fitbit failed to resolve the issues. I feel like this is deja vu with a different problem. I cannot afford to replace my watch and I doubt Samsung would give me my money back after 4 months. 

Feeling very despondent 

0 Likes
Andrezao
Explorer
Options
Wearables

Test it!! move your arm quickly, pretending that you're running but stand still. Make sure your beats increase gradually while you move without stopping your arm. In my case, what happens, that is, this watch does not measure anything at all heart rate is a misleading advertisement. I took my watch on Samsung and I'm waiting for an answer!

0 Likes
lilith14
Explorer
Options
Wearables

Problem with shaking around your arm is wrist HR are all bad at that kind of movement, if you shake only the arm not wearing the watch do you get the same sudden flux upward also when you stop shaking your arm does it suddenly drop back to normal reading on the continuous HR page?

This is why chest HR is the only way to go for gym activities like ropes and fast rep activities.

Here is a cycle I did today pity auto detect didn’t pick it up but continuous HR reading worked throughout (As it always does for me) so here is an hour segment with the wrist HR on the S3 and the Garmin Edge with Chest HR now cycling doesn’t have a lot of fast wrist movement but the two tracked pretty close wrist HR will never be as quick at changing as a chest strap but the overall tracking is pretty good and AVG HR is too.

Shealth(continuous HR)                                     

2.png

Garmin Edge(Chest Strap)

Screenshot_20180712-152624.png

Now when I got my Gear S2 I knew the limitation of wrist HR but wanted just for commutes when not wearing a chest strap and to cover my all-day activity and a hub to put all my data together, I got the S3 as a free replacement for the faulty S2 a hardware issue, but then tizen 3 broke tracked activities and Samsung have done nothing for months.

Worse now it seems connected services is being removed which means I cannot track activities (As HR data is flatlines in a manual activity) and use Shealth as hub for MFP, Weight and Strava rides to be kept in one place.

I was going to get a Elemnt bolt but got the Edge 130 as I thinking before this news about connected services about leaving the Samsung Ecosystem, I am not sure if the shop will give me a chance to swap out the Gear S3 but otherwise I guess a family member not into health stuff will get it and lose Samsung a sale of the Gear Watch.

People who care about health should look at the Vivoactive 3 if where you bought the Samsung will let you exchange it, it has the option to allow you to connect a chest HR for activities that wrist HR does bad on and the wrist HR actually works if you are using for an activity. 

Worst part for me now is if they somehow decide to fix the HR on manual activities if connected serives is removed  it still doesn’t serve a hub for me.

TheRugbyProp
Explorer
Options
Wearables

Thanks all for your contributions. I've decided to surrender and exchange my Gear Sport for a Fitbit Versa. Thank you (very much) to Best Buy for being so understanding about this (?!#) situation. Maybe now I'll have some time to focus on the issues my wife is having with her Gear FitPro 2 - I expect she'll be jealous and want me to exchange hers as well. There's always something.

Thanks Again!

0 Likes
lilith14
Explorer
Options
Wearables

OK auto-detect did its job today and so I can show you the S3’s continuous HR vs Edge 130 with a chest strap that Strava imported back into SHealth. I have put the Edge 130’s reading along with the elevation and you can see as expected the wrist based doesn’t react as quick to the decrease when there is a  short down hill section as the chest strap but overall the S3 did very well especially once it get to flater sections there is some differences becuase auto-puase removed 6 mins of reading on the edge 130 mainly where I had to pull over for oncomming cars in the last 20 min.

S3(Continuous HR Auto-Detect)       Edge 130 (Chest Strap)

Screenshot_20180714-150513.pngScreenshot_20180714-150704.png

0 Likes
Ricky2
Voyager
Options
Wearables

Any further news on this problem mods?

0 Likes
Ricky2
Voyager
Options
Wearables

Any further news on this problem mods?

0 Likes
TracyR
Options
Wearables

Hey @Ricky2

I'll chase this up with our R&D guys.

:thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

Say "hello!" and

Introduce Yourself, or virtually hangout in the Samsung Lounge

0 Likes
BBred
Apprentice
Options
Wearables
Tracy,

just had a new update on watch. Very excited that it might fix the problem. Tried it on 17mile bike ride and only worked for 35% of the exercise time. I'm now looking to change to OS Wear as at least they will fix the problem. I will not be buying the new samsung watch which I would have done as I expect the software problem fixes never to be fixed. Sorry it's a negative response but I'm firm that I vote with my feet and wallet.
0 Likes
TracyR
Options
Wearables

Sorry to hear that @BBred

I'll forward your results over to R&D.

Thanks for letting me know. 

Say "hello!" and

Introduce Yourself, or virtually hangout in the Samsung Lounge

0 Likes
Ricky2
Voyager
Options
Wearables

Any updates on this @TracyR?

Traycer
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Hello, @TracyR and other Samsung employees reading this! I don't know if this has been reported earlier in this thread or elsewhere, but I noticed something today with my GF2P on the latest firmware update. As with the other reports, continuous HR monitoring works fine when there is no activity being tracked, but once an activity starts, there is a good chance the HR monitoring simply freezes up and no longer updates.

What I noticed today is if I turn on Power Saving Mode, the green LEDs on the back don't stop blinking. They normally stop when the band is switched into Power Saving Mode. In this case, they continue to blink as if ignoring the command to stop. The rest of the band goes into Power Saving Mode, it seems (wifi, monochrome display, no other functions running, etc.).

So I suspect this is indeed some sort of software issue where the process that collects the HR sensor data has locked up and no longer responds. The next time this happens, I'll fire up an SDB shell connection to the GF2P and see if I can locate that stuck process.

Ricky2
Voyager
Options
Wearables

Any update on this mods? Other than 'We've chased it' I mean.

I feel like i'm talking to a wall. A big Samsung branded wall *facepalm

0 Likes
Gal1419
Options
Wearables

Any news? What is going on? This is unbelievable!

0 Likes
Theron
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

I remember when there was a severe issue with fit2 battery after one of updates a year and a half or so ago. Thread (not here) full of unhappy customers whose watches only lasted as little as 4 hours, one very shameful response and update that fixed the issue (to me at least) came after 9 months! Nothing changed I see.

0 Likes
Ricky2
Voyager
Options
Wearables

Any news on this? ...Again

0 Likes
Ricky2
Voyager
Options
Wearables

I see Mods are responding to much easier threads and ignoring this one.

How long does this have to go on for before the problem gets escalated to someone in a higher position than whoever already has it assigned to them?

So far were up to 8 months without a fix.

0 Likes
Traycer
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Another data point: I've since switched to "Frequent" auto HR and the issue has not occurred, either with manual or auto-detected activities. I just switched it back to "Always" to see if the issues restart.

0 Likes
Ricky2
Voyager
Options
Wearables

I've experienced the issue in with the HR frequency set to both 'Frequent' and 'Always'.

Doesn't make a difference for me. Every so often it will record a workout completely fine then next time, even though no settings change, it not work again for a long period of time.

0 Likes
rcsabalaki
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Yep same here. Tried restarting both my phone and the gear but nothing changed. It must be a software error. The HR monitor is working perfectly if i start a measurement manually, but when i start an exercise it's not showing anything. Don't know why Samsung doesn't give a s**t about it....

Celiawheelia
Pathfinder
Options
Wearables

Has anyone tried Twitter to get the attention of Samsung on this issue? 

Maybe we should all do it?