Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Gear Sport Not Tracking Heart Rate When Exercising

(Topic created on: 04/08/18 14:24)
Stevevdb3000
First Poster
Options
Wearables

Hi, is anyone else having this issue with their gear sport or gear S3?

I have had 3 gear S3's and now changed it to a gear sport and am still getting the same issue. 

When I first went out cycling with the gear sport yesterday, it tracked my HR just fine when displayed in the shealth app but since then it is just showing it go up and then a straight line which is obviously wrong. I think its a software issue. The gear S2 does it fine.

See graph 1st use and then whats happened since - before and after:1st use cycling1st use cycling

2nd use and onwards use2nd use and onwards use

487 REPLIES 487
Chupat
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Some interesting news. I have a friend on the R&D departement in Samsung (don't want to reveil where to protect him). He says that absolutely nothing is done on the Samsung Gear Fit2 software. All efforts are put on the new Samsung Watch. Perhaps you have noticed that it was not out for sale alongside with the new S9. Well there is an explanation to that. They have problems with the software (surprice, surprice). Also, I was in the store (Media Markt) I bought my Gear fit and I was surprised to hear from the seller that they have stopped selling the device. At home i went to the online shop and saw that the product had been removed from the shelves. 

Is it only me but I see a pattern here. Are we all being ***** up by Samsung. Them trying to keep us calme as long as possible.

Well mr Samsung. If you read this, that doesen't work on me. I am going to change TV within the next few weeks. Samsung? I don't thinks so. And when it will be time to change phone. Samsung? forget it.

By the way, today I had a wonderful experience. I burned 500 kcal in 20 mins when I had my walkt to work. How? well the watch locked on 202 bpm (which would have killed me since im 57 years old). Perhaps Samsung have found a new nieche for their watches. People that wants to loose weight without effort.......

Ricky2
Voyager
Options
Wearables

The whole thing is ridiculous. 

How long has it been now without any input from the mods?

After a long conversation with Samsung support via Twitter, they basically advised me that I should keep waiting for an update... 9 months on.

I just want my money back and to go elsewhere.

0 Likes
seballos
Apprentice
Options
Wearables
Samsung Galaxy Watch 46mm, Tizen 4.0.0.0, Software version: R800XXU1BRH3

HR monitor set to Always, the monitor has intervals of 1-2 hours where nothing is recorded, sometimes switching it to Frequent and back to Always works in resetting it, other times it doesn't. This happens both when sitting at the desk and when moving. Sleep monitoring works well for now.

If this doesn't get fixed I will surely return this watch and get something else.

darren68
First Poster
Options
Wearables

same here, got the galaxy watch 42mm last week, have done several workouts where the HR record is clearly faulty, if they cannot get this basic function right then it is really poor, will be sending the watch back and returning to Fitbit, this is a shame considering how nice the watch is.

0 Likes
Thzone
First Poster
Options
Wearables

I have contacted samsung support and showed them a picture of a workout we’re my heart rate flatlined during half of the workout.

They asked me to clean the cache of the Gear app. I’m not hopeful that this could solve the issue.

I’ll keep you posted.

4CD06C36-4E5F-4182-AA4D-2749E8A140F8.jpeg

0 Likes
Shocket
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

I’m currently waiting on a replacement for the 46mm in uk for this very reason, not holding my breath now that this will be fixed, I have owned multiple devices that measure hr via optical wrist and a

thou they have issues, none anywhere near this! Great pity as I love the watch otherwise but surely this can’t be this impossible to fix!  I thought you had some of the best software engineers in the world.

0 Likes
Ssx
First Poster
Options
Wearables

I am on my second Samsung Gear sports. And I am currently having a problem when it comes to tracking my heart rate during the cycling moment. It does not matter if I have my phone or me or if I don't it does not track my cycling after the first two to three minutes or just flat line. I really would like some help on how to figure out what I can do to stop this issue from happening because I really do like the watch but if it doesn't perform or act the way I needed to for $300 I want unfortunately switch it to another brand. So if someone can help me or no a trick that I could do that would be super helpful thank you so much for your support.

0 Likes
MortenBackPeder
Just Browsing
Options
Wearables

Hi,

Just bought my Samsung Gear Sport the other day and went for my first ride on bike today. A fairly good trip which Google Fit (on my phone), tracked fairly good. All of the sudden, I checked my watch and Samsung Health app after the session and apparently I did exercise on my bike outside, for 53 min. (somewhat correct), around town, without moving or using my pulse, since the HR just says zero. Really anoyd about it! But what can you do... I think this tracking issue might relate to the Samsung Health app but I'm not sure. Does anybody know if there are other free tracking apps that can do the job? (I'm quite new in this Samsung world) 

Screenshot_20180804-111527.pngScreenshot_20180804-111552.png

0 Likes
Ricky2
Voyager
Options
Wearables

Hi Mortenbackpeder,

I might be able to help you make sense of what happened.

First of all, I'm going to assume that the workout which was recorded on your watch was an auto recorded workout (you didn't manually start recording a workout, the watch just realised you were cycling and auto recorded it).

If the above is correct, your heart rate is not tracked automatically when your watch records an automatic workout. The only way you could do that is if you have heart rate tracking set to constant (records all through the day). The default setting on the watch is to only record heart rate once every 10 minutes whilst you are still.

So, in order to record your heart rate all the way through a workout you have to manually record the workout instead. By this I mean going into the Samsung Health app on the watch > selecting the type of workout you are going to do > then press start. When you do that the watch will record your HR continuously until the workout is finished.

That's what is meant to happen.

However this thread is regarding a problem with that process.

If you manually record a workout, the HR will only record continuously in certain situations. Most of the time it will stop and you will get just flat lines where no reading was taken.

That problem has been reported to Samsung but months later they have yet to even acknowledge the problem.

A temporary solution is to record workouts using the app 'Gear tracker' on the galaxy app store. It is a paid app but records HR continuously without fail on every workout.

Hope this helps.

MortenBackPeder
Just Browsing
Options
Wearables

Hi Ricky, 

Thank you so much for trying to help me out. Unfortunately, I did manually start the tracking of my ride but it wouldn't neither record the distance or the HR even though I've agreed to let it track by GPS. I don't hope I have to return this watch because of a failure of somekind... I really hope it's just me or software of some sort that doesn't work atm...

Thanks!

Celiawheelia
Pathfinder
Options
Wearables

Hi Mortenbackpeder, 

Alongside what Ricky has said,I should add,if you use the gear tracker app from the galaxy store,you need to remember to switch off the auto detect on your watch or the s.health app will override the gear tracker app. 

Also,when you have heart rate reading on constant,it seems even when the HR picks up,when HR goes above about 180 the watch can't seem to cope. 

I have found that if you go to the HR widget and ensure the HR is reading constantly you have a better chance of a reasonable HR reading. 

I am quite disappointed with the response (or lack of) from Samsung on this issue. 

Frankly I'd like to change my watch but I can't afford it 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

MortenBackPeder
Just Browsing
Options
Wearables
Hi Celiawheelia,

Great answer. Thanks for your reply. I've now switch to constantly tracking HR and hope to see a better result but eventually I'm still quite disappointed it didn't track neither my distance or my HR... Hope it'll turn out better next exercise.

What would you choose change to if you had the money?
lilith14
Explorer
Options
Wearables

I was looking at the Garmin Forerunner 645 but luck had it I knew someone selling their Fenix 5 cheap and bought it, for sport the Garmin’s are great can pair sensors broadcast the wrist HR battery for days. Now it is not as good a smart watch as the Gear S3 as notifications are more clunky not as actionable and the screen quality is not as impressive due to a focus on battery rather than the OLED on the S3.

For the casual Android user if the HR issue was fixed I still think the Gear could still be the best as a smart watch do it all but I started really getting in to my health and cycling last year and for that end the Garmin wins hands down due to sensors that can be added and at this moment the clunkier notifications is worth the trade-off for me especially since the Samsung’s activities has been broken for months without a fix .

Now if the problem with HR wasn’t around I would have stuck with the Samsung as I was happy before this issue and only started to look elsewhere when I found out my brother was planning to get the new Galaxy Watch when it came out so I told him my problems and as he wanted more a smart watch and step tracker he wouldn’t be doing manual activities so offered him my Gear S3 for €100 which he agreed so started looking at Garmins Eco-system.

Celiawheelia
Pathfinder
Options
Wearables

Mortenbackpeder, probably one of the Garmins. I'm a runner and hiker,mostly. So it's very frustrating for me. The treadmill function on the s.health app isn't brilliant and the sleep tracker info isn't as good as the fitbit. 

My first tracker type watch was a fitbit blaze and I had massive problems with that, syncing with the phone app was,and still seems to be,a real and ongoing problem for fitbit. I used to lose GPRS connection from watch to phone during a run, it was so annoying. I still check out their community boards now and then and the problems seem to be persisting to the newer watches. 

I have tried to do more detailed research before I change (again) and the Garmin message boards are the only ones which seem relatively devoid of technical issues. 

We'll see. But for now I am stuck with this semi useless watch and no help from Samsung. 

Mburleso
Observer
Options
Wearables

The sleep monitor is poor on this device. I'm reading that I only deeply sleep for 1 to 1 1/2 hours and my REM registers bw 30  and 90 min for an entire night. 

0 Likes
Jdd3
Apprentice
Options
Wearables
I fixed it. Press both buttons on your watch till it turns OFF. Then restart the same way. Heart rate worked last night and today sleep pattern is back.
GREAT
0 Likes
TimtheTechGeek
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

"I fixed it. Press both buttons on your watch till it turns OFF. Then restart the same way. Heart rate worked last night and today sleep pattern is back.
GREAT "

This thread is about the HRM cutting out during manually selected exercises, not while it is set to constant while not exercising. I tried that two button reboot trick and started an exercise session. It cut out just short of four minutes like it always does. The workaround is to use Endomondo or UA Record to track workouts until Samsung fixes the software.

Mburleso
Observer
Options
Wearables

I am having the same issues with my galaxy watch. It way undercounts my steps and calories. The heart rate monitor works sometimes and other times, I get a message to dry off the sensor. Well I cannot stay dry while working out. That's what happens when you work out. .. You sweat. I'm very disappointed in this product . 

0 Likes
NotoriousGio
Options
Wearables

Same here! Very disapodisapp on this issue. The only reason why I got the watch was to track my exercise!

0 Likes
cyber3825
Options
Wearables

Yep same prooblem here, brought a Samsung gear S3 few weeks ago, however only just started to use the exersize, the HR seems too work outside of the exersize app, however once i start to exersize and check later it shows a flat line in the exersize app for the heartrate, and fails to show up at all when i check the heart rate app, i have tried several different ways but the only conclusion i can come up with the moisture cause by sweat is causing the device to fail to monitor the heart rate, which defeat its use as a device for tracking exersize, if i dry the sensor it will start to work again for a while then fails again. It seem too be an ongoing promlem as evident in this thread, and would like to thiink this is being addressed but from the coments Sumsung are ignoring the issue. its really ashame cause i have many samsung items from enterainment to phones and the watch, until the watch i have not had problem with any item. while i hope the problem is fixed, i am mainly adding this comment to add to the thread to hope more can be done with the problem. in summing up Samsung I will not be recommending the watchs built by you until this problem is addressed and a fix is supplied. 

Smukec
Observer
Options
Wearables

I have got this same problem with my Gear Sport. Its brand new and fully updated. Still the heart rate is a pain, especialy during exercise. It is just not working. Flat line...

0 Likes