Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tv screen half black

(Topic created on: 21-10-2021 10:45 PM)
Katelyna
Apprentice
Options

Hello, 

I have purchased 2 Samsung TVs about 2 years ago , 1 year and about 1-2 months after my first Samsung tv half the tv screen went black and went back to the shop for them to say the 1 year warranty was up and nothing could be done to fix it and it would cost more to fix than it was worth. Now after paying 500€ for a tv you think it would last a lot longer than a year. 
Now my second Samsung tv that I purchased maybe 2 months after the first one with the warranty also expired the screen is starting to go black on this one also and I presume nothing can be done about this either? This tv was more expensive than the other one. I would have emailed about this but I could not find one to email but just wanted to post this here so that people might see it and stay clear of purchasing Samsung TVs that have no life long value. Very disappointed by Samsung  

13 REPLIES 13
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Hi @Katelyna 

That's not what we like to hear. Did you run through any troubleshooting steps at the time with our Support Team?

0 Likes
Katelyna
Apprentice
Options

No not at the time as I contacted the shop and explained to them they said it was wasn’t able to be fixed, and if it was it would cost too much, I also brought it to a repair shop and the person there wouldn’t touch it either as he said it is not worth getting it fixed. If you have any suggestions for me I would be more than happy to try them. I would love to not have to dump a second tv in 2 years thank you.

AndrewL
Options

@Katelyna: I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue. Is the dark area of the screen visible on all channels and sources? If so, please head to Settings > Support > Self Diagnosis > Picture Test, and check to see if the issue is present in the sample image. If it is, try pressing and holding the Power button on your remote until the TV restarts, or unplug it at the wall for 30 seconds, then plug it back in and power it on see if this helps. You may also wish to try returning the TV to its factory settings by heading to Settings > General > Reset, and enter your PIN (default is 0000). If these steps don't match your TV, try Settings > Support > Self Diagnosis > Reset. 

Katelyna
Apprentice
Options

I have tired to do this but it says this function isn’t supported when I try to self diagnose.

0 Likes
D0ntBuySam5ung
Apprentice
Options

Did Samsung resolve this issue for you?

I have exactly the same problem.

Samsung support chat is worse than useless and the post I have created on these forums is being ignored.

My tv is just over 2 years old, so outside of the warranty, but I will not accept that a tv should only last 2 years then is only good for the scrapheap.

The repairs will cost me more than in paid for the tv new but the engineer I spoke with earlier today agreed that it wasn't good enough and he would expect that the TV should last between 5-7 years at least before breaking down. 

romerro
Apprentice
Options

I've had the same problem Katelyna. I bought my 55" smart TV BACK in 2019 and it failed via the screen going half black at the same time my warranty had ended in around 2021. It's almost like Samsung is selling TV's with known bad components to increase sales. America calls this good business practice. "Don't make products that last to long so that sales can continue of new products." It's only allowed if you do it legally and don't get caught in obvious bad practices. I need atleast 5 years out of a high ticket item, such as a smart TV, even if I got it at a discount and I'm not saying I got one on mine. This black screen issue is country wide. I've seen videos and read articles on this problem going back over 4 years. Samsung is just ignoring the complaints since it's driving an uptick in sales. After all, they are responsible to their share holders to gain profits. I tell everyone I know to never purchase Samsung TV's ever and I use the half-black screen as the primary reason.  I have no low-cost solutions to repair my TV except to do it myself which would require me to purchase each internal part and keep replacing them until the problem is solved. Not doing it. Horrible TV products. 

romerro
Apprentice
Options

I've too tried all these simple things you've suggested and non worked. This is obvious a hardware failure problem, which the people at Samsung refuse to acknowledge and Fix. This will continue until someone decides its worth pursuing a class action against Samsung. People don't want to spend their hard earned revenue on broken, failing products. This is basically theft. 

0 Likes
D0ntBuySam5ung
Apprentice
Options
I'll never buy a Samsung product again after my experience of both their faulty products and couldn't carecless attitude. As I mentioned above the approved engineer I spoke with told me that to repair a 2 year old TV with the half black screen issue would cost as much as buying a new TV......convenient eh? I think you're right and again according to the engineer, devices such as TVs should have a lifespan of between 5-7 years, and that is with high usage. High usage is leaving the tv on all the time, which clearly the average user wouldn't be doing, so I'd expect at least 10 years out of such an expensive item. I bought samsung products for a number of years where I could afford to because I believed them to be a quality and trusted brand. Never again. In this greedy, throw away consumerist environment they create and exist within they just couldn't care less. Profits and shareholders are the only thing that matters. The only suggestion I could make is play them at their own game. Make use of any warranty or device insurance every 11 months to keep getting a replacement every year at the profit and shareholders expense!
0 Likes
romerro
Apprentice
Options

Found a solution to this issue. It seems that the most common problem that causes this half black screen issue is one of the two LED's that's inside of the TV behind the screen. There's one that covers the right half and another that covers that left half. If either go out, you'll have a half black screen. You can by the led part on Amazon. My backlight led part is UN55NU6900 which sells between $24 & $27 dollars for a pair. You can then watch this guy's video or find one that covers your TV for disassembly, https://youtu.be/rI7yRMulBOI

0 Likes