Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting the default app

(Topic created on: 01-12-2021 06:46 PM)
Ddw1966
First Poster
Options

I use YouTube TV as my television service and would like my Samsung TV to start up on that instead of TVPlus. Is there a way to change the default startup app?

97 REPLIES 97
Bobby B
Apprentice
Options

I disabled that TV plus app and now it works for me with Pluto TV and other apps, including regular youtube.  I have the 2021 Frame.  

Quack4321
Journeyman
Options

Could you please tell me how you disabled the TV plus app? I can’t figure it out…

AndrewL
Options

@Quack4321: You can disable Samsung TV Plus by navigating to the app icon on your Home Screen > Press the down arrow on your remote > Remove > Disable. I hope this helps. 

Bobby B
Apprentice
Options

I went to the app on the home screen, but instead of clicking on it with the center button on the remote to open it, i clicked and held the button down for about 5 seconds.  A menu should pop up below the app that gives you options to move or remove.  I used the arrow button to go down and  I clicked remove.  I think I had to click on another remove message to confirm that I really wanted to remove.

Jennaplum
First Poster
Options

Was afraid to remove it totally but I disabled it and now it defaults to whatever I was watching last.  This fix worked perfectly! Thank you for clarifying!

Bobby B
Apprentice
Options

You're welcome.  If you think you are going to miss the TV plus app, just download Pluto TV if you don't already have it.  It's very similar and won't take over your TV every time you cut it on.  

0 Likes
Steven thalassinos
First Poster
Options

This is crazy. Any fix for this yet? I literally deleted the app, and my TV STILL turns on to Samsung tv! It does stay on a black screen to fix the “ sexy Italian growling stallion” on the Italian channel randomly popping up when you’re looking for paw patrol for the kiddos, but still Samsung. Fix this ***** 

Haakaholic
First Poster
Options

I was having the same problems, the TV was being very dumb by starting up the Blu-Ray player every time the TV powered on but now I have enabled the 'Autorun last app' setting and it does appear to have solved my issue as long as the Blu-Ray player was not selected before shutting down the TV of course.

Within minutes of my purchase I had completely disabled the Samsung TV Plus app and have hidden it along the other apps I won't be using like AppleTV (press up on the remote with the app selected and choose disable, remove or hide). I have zero use or interest in using those. there are still remainders of buttons I will never be using on the interface (ambient mode, smart hub etc.) and on the remote (amazon, rakuten...) , at least this has resolved my most major issue right now.

0 Likes
amylynn913
First Poster
Options

What model or version do you people have that actually allows you to delete, disable, or hide apps?! I remember finding a way to do it (with some difficulty) when first getting my TV a few months ago, then a week ago it started playing Samsung TV by default again! MAKE IT STOP! So many of the music videos are NOT APPROPRIATE for my three year old. Hitting the down arrow just opens the app fully. 😭

sweege84
Student
Options

SAMSUNG, you need to figure out a solution for this!  I've tried everything to get my tv to default to hmdi 1 rather than TV plus and nothing works.  Really tired of switching it every time i turn the tv on.  this must have been in an update because it wasn't like that when i initially bought the tv, and its not on the same exact tv my mother has which isn't internet connected so hadn't gotten any updates.  This will be the last samsung tv i purchase if it doesn't get fixed.  its not that big of an ask, this is ridiculous.