Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QN94A TV switching off with BBC iPlayer

(Topic created on: 07-02-2022 12:55 PM)
g0akc
Navigator
Options

Our new QN94A TV keeps turning itself off mid way through watching different content on BBC iPlayer using the TV's own app. It's done it several times now.

I thought it might be the auto power off  - though there had been interaction/remote presses within the time set (4 hours)  - including to launch the app.

There was no dialogue box each time - TV just went dark/off - I had to turn TV back on with remote and relaunch the app to resume playing the programme.  It doesn't happen at any particular part of the programme.

I have the auto power off dialogue box come up when watching via a Virgin set top box - that at least gave me the chance to press a button on the remote to continue viewing.

Any ideas?

For now I've disabled the auto power off feature to see if that resolve it.  We are unlikely to forget to turn it off anyway.

76 REPLIES 76
g0akc
Navigator
Options

In the meantime I'm drafting an email to send to President's escalations in Samsung UK.

0 Likes
Mipal
Apprentice
Options

I'm sorry to hear you are still suffering from the problem and also poor helpdesk service from both the BBC and Samsung it seems.

The fault has been very intermittent for me, only now happening rarely and I can still not see a pattern for it.

0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

I've escalated it to Samsung 'head office' and hopefully they will get someone to look at it - it's exasperating trying to deal with the first line support teams who make the assumption that you're doing something wrong, rather than there actually being a fault with their product.

0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

Samsung head office have now passed it to Samsung head AV technicians.

0 Likes
RichyC
Explorer
Options

Not that it helps, but mine is doing the same still. Watch iplayer and the TV switches off. Doesn't do it with any other app.

0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

I’m hoping to do some work with Samsung next week to grab logs for investigation.

0 Likes
Mipal
Apprentice
Options

It will be interesting to hear the results of your dialogue with Samsung.

Strangely, I have not experienced the problem again for some time.

0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

Samsung set up logging on the TV about a week ago.  Since then I've noted 5 instances of the issue occurring.  Details have been passed for further investigation.  We've not used the app too much during the course of the week, and there have been sessions where the programme played without incident.  I cannot see any pattern to it - different content, different times, whatever.

g0akc
Navigator
Options

This remains ongoing. Samsung have logs captured off our TV and have been given the times of incidents.  Said to be under investigation.  I'm waiting to hear back from Samsung.  It's been another month.

0 Likes
Dseven
Apprentice
Options

Any progress? My Q60A is doing the same thing - random immediate shutoff (screen goes black) while warching shows in iPlayer - haven't seen it happen with Netflix, external HDMI input or Live TV.