Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QN94A TV switching off with BBC iPlayer

(Topic created on: 07-02-2022 12:55 PM)
g0akc
Navigator
Options

Our new QN94A TV keeps turning itself off mid way through watching different content on BBC iPlayer using the TV's own app. It's done it several times now.

I thought it might be the auto power off  - though there had been interaction/remote presses within the time set (4 hours)  - including to launch the app.

There was no dialogue box each time - TV just went dark/off - I had to turn TV back on with remote and relaunch the app to resume playing the programme.  It doesn't happen at any particular part of the programme.

I have the auto power off dialogue box come up when watching via a Virgin set top box - that at least gave me the chance to press a button on the remote to continue viewing.

Any ideas?

For now I've disabled the auto power off feature to see if that resolve it.  We are unlikely to forget to turn it off anyway.

76 REPLIES 76
g0akc
Navigator
Options

Noted -  indeed the outage reporting websites show outages/problems  being reported tonight 

its the same with different devices here

0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

The BBC have responded regarding the iPlayer problems faced last night;

Dear  Audience Member 

Thanks for getting in contact with BBC iPlayer Support to report that you had some trouble with iPlayer yesterday.

We really appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

The BBC iPlayer teams have now identified what caused the fault which has now been fixed with an update and iPlayer is working again as expected.

Thanks again for getting in touch.  

Kind Regards
BBC iPlayer & BBC Sounds Support Team 

It was just a pain that this coincided with me 'resetting' the app on the TV as suggested by Samsung.

The original issue remains ongoing - iPlayer has played several episodes of Killing Eve and Peaky Blinders (in UHD) without incident - so it is very intermittent - I'm not convinced that the problem is fixed.

0 Likes
Mipal
Apprentice
Options

Great result and well done and thank you for taking this up with the BBC.

Mines working fine since the update.

Mike

0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

Update

I've had a further message from the BBC;

Our engineers have asked whether or not you have an external audio device connected to the TV? If so, can you please disconnect that and then see if the issue is fixed?

I'm currently trying with (and without) my soundbar switched on to see if that makes any difference - mine is connected via an SPDIF optical cable and I'm sceptical if it will. I do also have a source connected to the HDMI that has eARC. I don't currently bother with Dolby Atmos (which I recall is only available via eARC on the TV).

I can't currently reproduce the issue - but will keep monitoring.

It might be worth seeing if there's any correlation with using any external audio kit

Mipal
Apprentice
Options

I have an eARC soundbar connected via HDMI. I have not had the problem reoccur since the update.

0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

Latest from BBC

I'm very sorry for the delay but we've just heard back from our engineers.

They have raised this issue with Samsung and they have asked the users to contact them directly about this issue. Please contact Samsung Customer directly so that Samsung can start investigating.

Also, please contact us again if you are not getting a response from Samsung’s Customer team, and if possible provide a reference number so that we can chase them internally.

I've not seen the issue again - but I've not been using iPlayer as we've been viewing content elsewhere for the last week or so.

Will keep monitoring and, if necessary, try raising with Samsung - though they have me jumping though unnecessary/pointless hoops over it.

0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

The problem just occurred again with our TV.

0 Likes
Mipal
Apprentice
Options

I have had the problem occur again intermittently but not very frequently. There does not really seem to be a pattern to it that I can identify. I am convinced that it is not the television but  iPlayer, especially as there are reports of it happening on other brand TVs.

Unsurprisingly, the BBC are trying to pass the problem to Samsung. This is a typical stance when they cannot resolve the problem themselves.

0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

Having provided a further update to the BBC, where I mentioned reports of this apparently also happening on other brands of TV, I tried raising it again with Samsung.

That's just been an awful experience - after waiting 30 minutes to get a human response in 'chat' with 'support' I got give the runaround again, despite quoting the previous enquiry reference and so on.

Regrettably, I granted remote control of our TV to the Samsung agent who then proceeded to reset it to factory default without even asking - so I have just had to spend ages again setting it up and logging in to the various apps (The 'Smart Things' restore didn't work for many on the settings).  When I complained about this they were not interested and insisted it was a necessary step, despite me saying it had already been tried previously!

Then because I busy in the other room trying to sort the TV out they declared I had been idle on the chat for too long and cut me off!  Just fobbed off, again!

Yes Samsung - I have already tried tuning it off and on again and all the rest of the pointless steps your so called support staff insist on going over without actually accepting any responsibility or picking this up!

0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

The best way to proceed with this, taking it forward, would be for Samsung and the BBC to collaborate.

Get a TV of the appropriate model in a test lab/environment (even the 'engineer's' office) and run the app repeatedly as necessary until the issue arises to see it for yourselves - hook up whatever diagnostics are required.

0 Likes