Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QN94A TV switching off with BBC iPlayer

(Topic created on: 07-02-2022 12:55 PM)
g0akc
Navigator
Options

Our new QN94A TV keeps turning itself off mid way through watching different content on BBC iPlayer using the TV's own app. It's done it several times now.

I thought it might be the auto power off  - though there had been interaction/remote presses within the time set (4 hours)  - including to launch the app.

There was no dialogue box each time - TV just went dark/off - I had to turn TV back on with remote and relaunch the app to resume playing the programme.  It doesn't happen at any particular part of the programme.

I have the auto power off dialogue box come up when watching via a Virgin set top box - that at least gave me the chance to press a button on the remote to continue viewing.

Any ideas?

For now I've disabled the auto power off feature to see if that resolve it.  We are unlikely to forget to turn it off anyway.

76 REPLIES 76
Mipal
Apprentice
Options

I am having the exact same problem. I have had the TV about 2 months. I also have made sure the auto off is not enabled.

It happened about four times last night but so far today it has not reoccurred.

I wonder whether it is the TV or I player?

0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

That’s interesting Mipal - that it’s affecting others.  I now firmly believe it’s due to a software bug in the iPlayer app for the Samsung TV.  I have a workaround in that I can watch  iPlayer using a different box (which is presumably a different version of the app). Nonetheless I would like this resolved.  I’m an electronics engineer with years of experience in similar areas, including in the TV broadcast industry.  I’m looking how best to raise this with Samsung (and/or BBC)  - just calling a consumer helpline is likely to be frustrating - they probably won’t understand the issue or won’t believe me.  I will update here.

regards, Tony

0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

I’ve reported this bug to the BBC.

0 Likes
Mipal
Apprentice
Options

Hi Tony,

yes I think you are correct that it is an iPlayer software bug. I have noticed a report about it happening on a Panasonic TV as well.

Well done for reporting it. Watch this space.

Regards,

Mike

0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

Thanks Mike 

that’s useful 

I’m onto Samsung support via a chat but it’s slow - they want me to try needless things like DNS settings and so on (I don’t believe it’s anything to do with the network or my ISP).

Cheers for now 

T

0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

The BBC have come back to me via email asking a few questions but mainly suggesting I try turning the TV off and on again and checking for updates...

They wanted the system information - which is found by going into the settings (of the app itself, not the TV) as here 

in my case it is as follows:

Application Version: 25.5.9.0

Bigscreen Version 5.2.1

Beta mode No

Build Identifier  (shows the date and time)

Framework version 12.0.0

Device Samsung TV 2021 NIKEM2 QTV

Launched Live, Environment Live

etc.

Is yours the same ?

0 Likes
Mipal
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

Mine is exactly the same as yours.

I haven't had the problem again yet and I'm working through the back catalogue of Peaky Blinders, so I've been using iPlayer quite a bit  since. Very strange indeed. 

Rgds,

Mike

0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

It's 'got a bit silly' now - Samsung support had me try resetting the 'Smart Hub' - in settings/support/device care/self diagnostics

That was a pain since it basically signed me out of all accounts, lost some of the apps that add been added and so on - had to sign into them all again (but not iPlayer for some reason, account was still there)

Now iPlayer is acting up and keep getting error code 01119 - 'try later' and very sluggish

I've turned mains off/on and so on to no avail

At least it did play an episode without crashing

0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

So iPlayer is playing up all round  here tonight  - I get the same with a set top box too.

there’s a message about some changes having been made - not sure if it’s that or the football being on?

0 Likes
Mipal
Apprentice
Options

I shan't be doing that then.

It looks as though they (BBC) may have recognised a problem/s or are doing updates, as messages on screen today have said that it will not look "normal" and they can't show your viewed programs at the moment.

Maybe sit on it for a day or so to see if it improves.

Mike

0 Likes