Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QN94A TV switching off with BBC iPlayer

(Topic created on: 07-02-2022 12:55 PM)
g0akc
Navigator
Options

Our new QN94A TV keeps turning itself off mid way through watching different content on BBC iPlayer using the TV's own app. It's done it several times now.

I thought it might be the auto power off  - though there had been interaction/remote presses within the time set (4 hours)  - including to launch the app.

There was no dialogue box each time - TV just went dark/off - I had to turn TV back on with remote and relaunch the app to resume playing the programme.  It doesn't happen at any particular part of the programme.

I have the auto power off dialogue box come up when watching via a Virgin set top box - that at least gave me the chance to press a button on the remote to continue viewing.

Any ideas?

For now I've disabled the auto power off feature to see if that resolve it.  We are unlikely to forget to turn it off anyway.

76 REPLIES 76
g0akc
Navigator
Options

Has anyone got any advice? Should I contact BBC?”

I was never able to get it fixed - I spent ages on it 

• I contacted the BBC and went over and over it with them in great detail.
  •  I liaised with Samsung technical departments and they set up logging on our TV. Dragged on and on.
  •  I initially got fobbed off and told to update app, reset things, factory reset, off and on at the mains - you name it - that was all pointless.
  •  I did have the workaround of using a set top box instead (app running on that, not the TV itself 
  • It took months 
  • I pushed through Samsung head office 
  • Eventually I pushed and Samsung replaced the TV with a different model - they took the TV away to test it at their workshop supposedly but I don’t know if they ever did - they refused to share the results with me.
0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

My advice would be to keep on at Samsung (or where you bought it) until resolved 

0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

And read through the whole thread!

0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

Just re-read your post - if you are watching through a 'fire cube' then it appears to be a different issue.

This thread relates to the QN94 series models when using the inbuilt app.

0 Likes
robo1969
Student
Options

hi g0akc many thanks for your perserverance and postings with this issue.

My QN94A switches off randombly but i never noticced it was only when using iplayer, coincidently thats what i was watching tonight when it switched off. I love this tv howver i would want to get this problem fixed.

What tv did they give you as i would not want to accept a lesser model. I also notice sometimes the iplayer and sounds apps dont open correctly. At least you have saved me going through the pain and frustration of contacing anyone for help. I thanks you for that mate. 

cheers Rob

0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

Hi Rob

Sorry to hear you have the same issue, but good that this thread has helped.

Samsung swapped our TV to the QN95B, which was the newer model offering Dolby Atmos built in - see my update on page 6 of this thread ‎(20-09-2022 12:03 PM).

A further tale of woe as that TV has also been troublesome, as mentioned in other threads on here.  It had to be repaired with boards being replaced and the rear speaker panel still vibrates.

I never have heard anything further about any findings with our QN94A - it was supposed to be taken away for tests/investigation but for all I know it was just scrapped. Samsung refused to share any findings but did state they would share anything internally.

What I could never establish is if the 94A models could be repaired (say by replacing a board). Any replacement model might now come from the 2023 lineup?

robo1969
Student
Options

Thanks again for your reply.  Its a nightmare and you again having another problematic tv to deal with. I hope you get it resolved soon mate. You would think it would be a bonus getting a newer tv out of it but it has not proved a good thing for you. 

My shutting down problem is not frequent enough that i would send it off for repair just yet. If it gets more frequent then maybe i will.

I have set the iplayer app to beta mode to see if it helps. Has anyone found a trick that did improve this problem?

I have my own AV system too so i dont have a need for dolby speaks on a tv.

0 Likes