Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QN94A TV switching off with BBC iPlayer

(Topic created on: 07-02-2022 12:55 PM)
g0akc
Navigator
Options

Our new QN94A TV keeps turning itself off mid way through watching different content on BBC iPlayer using the TV's own app. It's done it several times now.

I thought it might be the auto power off  - though there had been interaction/remote presses within the time set (4 hours)  - including to launch the app.

There was no dialogue box each time - TV just went dark/off - I had to turn TV back on with remote and relaunch the app to resume playing the programme.  It doesn't happen at any particular part of the programme.

I have the auto power off dialogue box come up when watching via a Virgin set top box - that at least gave me the chance to press a button on the remote to continue viewing.

Any ideas?

For now I've disabled the auto power off feature to see if that resolve it.  We are unlikely to forget to turn it off anyway.

76 REPLIES 76
g0akc
Navigator
Options

I suppose if Samsung do learn anything from testing our old unit they might feed that into their repair agents or help desks, but who knows….

0 Likes
Vengefultoad
Student
Options
I am having the same exact fault watching the world cup. Tv just shuts off mid game has anyone managed to find a fix 👀
0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

There’s no apparent fix.  Read through the thread.  Samsung are/were supposed to be testing my returned TV to investigate but won’t share details.

The workarounds are;

• use a set top box (preferably with UHD capabilities for such content like world cup)
  • return the TV for replacement (a different model it seems)
0 Likes
Itsmeazz1234
First Poster
Options

Hi I have the exact same issue with my QE75Q70AATXXU nearly every time I watch BBC iPlayer it will power off the TV. No idea how to fix this?

0 Likes
Mipal
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

there does not appear to be a fix, only the workaround described by g0akc in previous posts.

I would suggest you report it as a guarantee fault to your supplier or direct to Samsung. Although Samsung seems to be ignoring the problem as much as possible.

As a matter of interest, mine has now started doing the same when using other apps as well.

0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

As already stated - no known fix.

We’ve not had the problem with our replacement TV (different model) nor previous Samsung TV.

I never heard anything further from Samsung after they swapped our TV and took ours away to ‘test’ - I don’t know how intensively they tested it.

I guess I’ll never know if 

• there are some rogue units
  • they all suffer this problem 

It would be useful to know if swapping a part or board would repair it or not.  Keep on at your dealer or Samsung.

0 Likes
BrettRogersUK
First Poster
Options

Hi,

Sorry to resurrect this thread again, This exact same thing is happening on my AU7100K (UE50AU7100KXXU). We can be watching TV through our set top box with no problems. As sson as we put the iPlayer on it gets so far through and the TV just goes dark and I have to turn it back on again with the remote.

All power and eco settings are OFF. I don't know if there are similarities between the QN94A and the AU7100 series of TV's. The only thing I do know is that they were both manufactured in 2021. So most probably a hardware issue. I've not yet reported it to Samsung themselves as others have siad it's like banging your head against a brick wall with them. SHOULD I REPORT IT? 

Just thought I'd add my thoughts anyway. Thanks All. Glad to know it's not just me and that the issue has been going on for a long time.

Regards,

Brett

0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

Brett - the symptoms sound similar if not identical to what I reported.  In our case the TV didn't just go dark - it actually switched off to standby - is that what you mean by 'going dark'.  It would turn back on from the remote and I could then relaunch the iPlayer app and resume the programme.

Presumably this is when you are using the iPlayer app built in to the TV itself (not on a set top box)?

Ae there any issues with any other apps such as Prime, Netflix, ITVx or whatever?  Those apps worked fine for us at the time (ITVx was called ITV Hub back then).

I would report it to Samsung - they may well fob you off at first.  Stick to your guns. In our case I had an escalation route having had a complex issue with a different TV before. 

As per earlier updates to this thread, Samsung eventually replaced our TV, for a different model.  That new TV then had major issues of its own - I had to get the repair agents out to fix those....

It may be worth noting that Samsung don't generally seem to take any notice when told others are also reporting the issue here, on their forum!  Maybe they do collate reports in the background.

0 Likes
BrettRogersUK
First Poster
Options
Yes, that is what I meant. The TV turns off and then I can switch back on using the remote. Yes, when using the iPlayer app built into the TV. Not noticed it with other apps to be honest.
0 Likes
nickdayre
Student
Options
Really pleased I found this thread. I haven't read the entire thread as it appears ongoing issue and no fix?

I'm having the same issue with my UE55AU7100K. Iplauetbjust crashing and I'm watching it through a fire cube that's plugged into the TV. My TV won't turn on for about 5 minutes and then it will. This is incredibly frustrating, can anyone give me advice please?

I'll also add that I've had the TV for 6 to 8 months and this has been an ongoing problem.

UPDATE - I have just reported this to Samsung via their 24/7 chat service and spent an hour explain the issue and "troubleshooting" - was told this would fix the issue.

I asked what happens if it doesn't, I was told that it would and it is crashing because "you have slow Internet" - I replied that I have 100 mbps.

The agent asked for my serial number and then came back and said that it is a compatiblity issue between BBC Iplayer and my TV and that's why it is crashing and I need to contact them.

I have asked for the case to remain open and an email of the chat to be sent to me.

I'm not going to leave this, I'm thoroughly annoyed that a new TV can do this and them trying to fob me off.

Has anyone got any advice? Should I contact BBC?
0 Likes