Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lip sync on Q90R with 5.1 input

(Topic created on: 31-03-2020 08:47 AM)
d00p
Journeyman
Options

I -- and judging from posts in various fora on the web, a lot of other customers -- experience lip sync issues with 5.1 surround sound input on the Q90R (firmware v1066).

Specifically, I experience this on TV channels that are broadcast with 5.1 sound, but not on TV channels that are broadcast with only stereo sound.

This means that I can watch a show on one TV channel with the (stereo) sound and picture in perfect sync, and then simply change channel to another TV channel to experience a mismatch between the (surround) sound and picture. Switching back to the first TV channel, the (stereo) sound and picture is again in perfect sync. So lame 😕

The lip sync issues are present using the Q90R built-in speakers as well as with a Sonos Amp -- however, again, only with 5.1 TV channels, which also means that I cannot use the options for adding a general delay on the sound/picture as that, while perhaps fixing the 5.1 TV channels, will simply shift the issue to the stereo TV channels.

@Samsung: Needless to say, having such issues on a flagship model is really bad.. What are the plans for fixing this (expectedly, through a firmware update to get the TV to process 5.1 sound input properly)?

408 REPLIES 408
JImannie
Journeyman
Options
OK that’s confirmed it. I’m not throwing my money away on a set that requires a
PhD in pressing buttons to work. What I am looking for is a quality set that works. Not a lot to ask?
fatguy666
Explorer
Options

I'm not sure this is entirely limited to Samsung products tbh, but it's quite silly that you need to connect external sources straight to the soundbar if you want to avoid lip sync issues for Dolby Digital.

That in itself isn't a massive problem. My issues stem from the fact my external source is a PC and my soundbar wants to turn itself off when there's no audio after 15 minutes. Thankfully I've found a simple enough work around for that, it was just a pain in the backside figuring it out!

0 Likes
StevenLyall
Pioneer
Options
Exactly the same issues - very frustrating.
0 Likes
StevenLyall
Pioneer
Options
Hi - can you expand on this? Are you still able to use the TV's Universal Remote to switch between the TV's apps and your connected sources and they all have video/audio in sync? Or do you have to manually select on your AVR?

Thanks.....
0 Likes
fatguy666
Explorer
Options

Would depend on what your AVR is if yours would be the same as mine. If it's a Samsung TV and soundbar then it's a good chance it will be.

Say I'm watching the Netflix app on my TV. The soundbar automatically changes to TV ARC. If I switch to my PC (which is actually the soundbar) the soundbar changes to HDMI and I can still control the volume with the One Remote. If I was then to change to my Firestick, which is plugged into the TV, the soundbar will change back to TV ARC again. I can also use the One Remote to control my Firestick (although the audio delay issue does affect this, the apps I use have settings to change the delay so it's not an issue. I need my PC to be direct as I use it for gaming and the delay is a big no no).

The only time I would need my remote for my soundbar is if/when it turns off - but there are a couple ways to turn it back on without that second remote (through the TV settings or the multiroom phone app) but the easiest for me was linking it to my Alexa and telling her to turn it on. 

0 Likes
Jimbo095
Apprentice
Options

Hi, I've read all 28 pages of this and am flabbergasted,  it just reaffirms my frustration is upheld and shared by countless other folk. I have a Q9f75, 2018 I believe with a q90r soundbar. Same problems with the OCB and lip sync etc. So, I've tried taking the recommended steps by connecting straight to the soundbar. I have sky q in hdmi 1 and a 4k firestick in hdmi 2,both are then hdmi arc back to the (tv) ocb via arc input 4.. Problem is, as soon as I turn the tv off it loses the sky q input on hdmi 4? If I press the home button on the firestick it automatically switches to hdmi 2 on the soundbar and shows the firestick homepage but sky q is lost,unless I switch everything off at the wall and start again?  I have hdmi cec enabled on the tv so it just seems like the soundbar loses any signal from the sky q BOX? Any suggestions greatly appreciated...

0 Likes
fatguy666
Explorer
Options
Is it actually losing the signal or is it that because you've left your TV on HDMI 4 that the soundbar does not automatically turn on? That's the issue I have. Once I turn the soundbar on my PC will be displayed on the TV, so long as the soundbar source is HDMI.
0 Likes
Jimbo095
Apprentice
Options
Hmmm, I guess I've left it on hdmi 4 but I tried to program the smart things app to power on/off the soundbar when I power on/off the tv to save multiple remotes! What a farce this all is...😐
0 Likes
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

Hi @Jimbo095 

I've experienced similar problems with my SKY Q box and have my system configured very similarly to yours.  I have found on a couple of occasions that actually there is no output from the SKY Q box on HDMI and Ive had to power cycle or reset the SKY Q box.  If you check out SKY forums you will find it's a relatively common issue.

0 Likes
Jimbo095
Apprentice
Options

Yes it does seem that way but surely related to the input going straight into the soundbar as it's never happened before, meaning when hdmi connected to ocb it never did it in 18 months. Well I'm two out of two powering up ok in that when I'm finished watching sky q I hit the standby button on the sky remote then turn off the tv/soundbar.  When powering back on its tv/soundbar first then sky remote home button, probably won't last!!

Raised this issue back in Feb, lots of time consuming pointless calls to Samsung who denied the lip sync problem. Retailer (CURRYS) weren't too bad and I sent the soundbar back thinking it was that. Bought a replacement but obviously realise it's the TV's ocb not fit for purpose. TV is now 14 months old, paid £4k for it so not sure where I'd stand on approaching the CEO office. TV is under 5 year warranty with retailer, I love the picture quality and one cable aspect but clearly it doesn't work. Now I have two hdmi's, the subwoofer power cable, Amazon power cable all draped to the soundbar,  looks *****e.

0 Likes