Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lip sync on Q90R with 5.1 input

(Topic created on: 28-08-2019 04:27 PM)
d00p
Journeyman
Options

I -- and judging from posts in various fora on the web, a lot of other customers -- experience lip sync issues with 5.1 surround sound input on the Q90R (firmware v1066).

Specifically, I experience this on TV channels that are broadcast with 5.1 sound, but not on TV channels that are broadcast with only stereo sound.

This means that I can watch a show on one TV channel with the (stereo) sound and picture in perfect sync, and then simply change channel to another TV channel to experience a mismatch between the (surround) sound and picture. Switching back to the first TV channel, the (stereo) sound and picture is again in perfect sync. So lame 😕

The lip sync issues are present using the Q90R built-in speakers as well as with a Sonos Amp -- however, again, only with 5.1 TV channels, which also means that I cannot use the options for adding a general delay on the sound/picture as that, while perhaps fixing the 5.1 TV channels, will simply shift the issue to the stereo TV channels.

@Samsung: Needless to say, having such issues on a flagship model is really bad.. What are the plans for fixing this (expectedly, through a firmware update to get the TV to process 5.1 sound input properly)?

408 REPLIES 408
userjYtfoTda0t
Pioneer
Options

Just want to comment that from what I can tell the audio (both PCM and Dolby Digital 5.1) from the TV internal apps (Netflix/YouTube/DVB-S2 receiver etc) seems to have the correct audio delay applied (to compensate video processing) when the TV audio delay setting is 0.

0 Likes
cirion
Explorer
Options

ok, I got fed up by the audio delay, so I capitulated :serious-face-with-symbols-covering-mouth:

I bought an external 4K HDMI switch which provides video HDMI output + one extra HDMI output which only contains a black screen + audio. With this I can connect 4K devices to the TV and still get HD audio via my AVR without need to rely on the TV ARC or optical output.

And as expected: now the picture is in sync with the audio. 

A shame that this is necessary for such an expensive TV! But the lack of any response from SAMSUNG in this thread told me that if we ever get this fixed at all, it isn't going to be soon.

I'll sure remember that when I buy my next TV ... 

d00p
Journeyman
Options

Ok, I have just updated to firmware 1318.0 on my Q90R--and I actually managed to get perfect picture/sound sync with DD 5.1 on some channels, which previously suffered from the infamous lip sync issues. I was thrilled to see this, but only to get disappointed shortly after.

Apparently, this is still very fragile--and something as simple as switching channel back and forth introduced the lip sync issues again ON THE CHANNEL, WHICH I HAVE JUST HAD PERFECT PICTURE/SOUND SYNC ON (before switching away to the other channel).

I have tried various settings and sometimes, switching both the TV and my set-top box off and on again seems to temporarily eliminate the problem. But, as mentioned above, the lip sync issues come back randomly. I am no expert on this, but it might have something to do with the pertinent devices' "HDMI handshake" (or whatever it is called)...?!

To me, this indicates that Samsung has acknowledged the problem (finally!) and is doing something to fix it. With that said, it is still not fixed--i.e., I still have to feed 2.0 stereo sound into the Q90R to fully avoid lip sync issues.

I really hope that the guys over at Samsung ups their game soon. This is the %$¤!%# FLAGSHIP 4K MODEL for crying out loud 😕

m-oc
Navigator
Options

Also installed the update but I’ve not yet seen a noticeable improvement. 

0 Likes
m-oc
Navigator
Options

Is everyone raising tickets with Samsung and notifying their retailer?  Samsung don’t seem to have reports of this. Maybe we can collect a list of ticket numbers and present them to Samsung?  0330 7267864.

Same to the retailers...

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@cirion wrote:

ok, I got fed up by the audio delay, so I capitulated :serious-face-with-symbols-covering-mouth:

I bought an external 4K HDMI switch which provides video HDMI output + one extra HDMI output which only contains a black screen + audio. With this I can connect 4K devices to the TV and still get HD audio via my AVR without need to rely on the TV ARC or optical output.

And as expected: now the picture is in sync with the audio. 

A shame that this is necessary for such an expensive TV! But the lack of any response from SAMSUNG in this thread told me that if we ever get this fixed at all, it isn't going to be soon.

I'll sure remember that when I buy my next TV ... 

Arc is ok for normal stuff but not high resolution sound. Why can not the tv have a HDMI audio out just like Bluray players, so they can pass through sound. Suppose earc will fix this. 

m-oc
Navigator
Options

Presumably you can only do this with one HDMI source though?  If you have more than one source then you'd have to manually swap the cables over?  As there will only be one ARC port presumably on the soundbar and TV.  What do you do when watching apps on the TV like Amazon or Netflix?  

0 Likes
m-oc
Navigator
Options
I spent an hour on the phone to Samsung again today and wasted my time. They are definitely not looking at these forums. Please everyone make sure you're calling them and raising a ticket.
0 Likes
cirion
Explorer
Options

There are different devices out there. The on I bought has 4 HDMI inputs. So I have 4 sources which I can manually switch, or I can have it automatically switch to the last source which was activated.

On the HDMI out 1 I get the picture + audio from the selected source.

On the HDMI out 2 I get a black picture + audio. My AVR only processes audio, the video feature of the AVR I am not using anymore.

No HDMI cable switching is necessary. As Paul1277 mentioned technically the TV could offer the same feature with an extra HDMI output.

0 Likes
bjorktribe
Student
Options

Same issue here. Still exists on 1315.4