Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lip sync on Q90R with 5.1 input

(Topic created on: 30-05-2019 08:01 AM)
d00p
Journeyman
Options

I -- and judging from posts in various fora on the web, a lot of other customers -- experience lip sync issues with 5.1 surround sound input on the Q90R (firmware v1066).

Specifically, I experience this on TV channels that are broadcast with 5.1 sound, but not on TV channels that are broadcast with only stereo sound.

This means that I can watch a show on one TV channel with the (stereo) sound and picture in perfect sync, and then simply change channel to another TV channel to experience a mismatch between the (surround) sound and picture. Switching back to the first TV channel, the (stereo) sound and picture is again in perfect sync. So lame 😕

The lip sync issues are present using the Q90R built-in speakers as well as with a Sonos Amp -- however, again, only with 5.1 TV channels, which also means that I cannot use the options for adding a general delay on the sound/picture as that, while perhaps fixing the 5.1 TV channels, will simply shift the issue to the stereo TV channels.

@Samsung: Needless to say, having such issues on a flagship model is really bad.. What are the plans for fixing this (expectedly, through a firmware update to get the TV to process 5.1 sound input properly)?

408 REPLIES 408
NickJ2
Journeyman
Options

That is GREAT info!  One thing I'd like to add (after spending over 20 years solving lip-sync error) is that an individual's ability to detect (or be bothered by) lip-sync error varies tremendously. Some people tolerate 100 ms error while others can see a few ms error when audio leads the image. Less when it lags but if it lags a great deal our brains can't explain it away with assumption of distance and perspective.

What is usually suggested on the forum (capturing the audio before your TV can delay the sound too much) will solve the excess delay being added by the TV but be aware if you are sensitive to lip-sync error you may still see sync error.

The only way to actually correct lip-sync is to align the sound with the image. Unfortunately if audio arrives delayed too much there is no practical way to add the video delay required to correct it. But luckily that doesn't happen often.

Normally video processing delays the image so an adjustable audio delay inserted between your sound source and av receiver or sound bar can align the sound perfectly (within a fraction of a ms for some people).  Lip-sync error changes from source to source and even from program to program on the same source so if you are sensitive to small errors less than 40 ms don't give up.

There is a LOT of information on lip-sync error (probably more than you want to know) at www.LipFix.com but one of the most startling is a link to a research report done at Stanford over 20 years ago which documents the negative impact lip-sync error (audio asynchrony) has on our perception of the characters and story!

Here we are 20 years later and manufacturers still don't understand it!

0 Likes
Wesley Naylor
First Poster
Options

Hi. The HDFury Arcana autodetects the sound coming from TV or internal TV Apps and sends it to the sound system.

If you have the HDMI in (the PS5 in my case) sending audio to the sound system and switch to a TV App (Netflix for example), the HDFury Arcana detects the new input from the arc output and switches to it automatically, so you start getting sound from the TV App.

If you have further questions, I’m willing to test and solve them.

Regards

0 Likes
StevenLyall
Pioneer
Options

Awesome (no credit to Samsung).  I have an older Denon receiver with no eARC, so I’m wondering if the Fury could help.  I’m thinking Sky-to-Fury, video from Fury to Q90R, sound to Denon.

thanks….

0 Likes
Wesley Naylor
First Poster
Options

That should work, Sky in to HDFury Arcana, and outputs to TV and Denon. It should solve lip-sync with skytv.
I bought my Fury on Amazon so if it didn’t work, I could send it back no problem. I’m definitely keeping mine :face-with-tears-of-joy:

0 Likes
StevenLyall
Pioneer
Options

Superb - many thanks.

0 Likes
EAvivi
First Poster
Options

Good to know. Thank you for the info. 

Would you be able to confirm you can get 4k120hz from PS5 via the Fury to Q90R and DD 5.1 to AVR/Soundbar and it doesn't add to the audio and video latency? 

Thanks

0 Likes
Spitfyer
Student
Options

Hi,

I just found these (these!) threads after upgrading PS4 -> PS5 with my 2018 Q7 TV. I'd found the problem originally with the PS4, but simply worked-around it by using optical output.

But now the PS5 has no optical output and can only go straight to TV!

This HD fury sounds great but expensive, and my AV receiver and TV likely don't have eARC. If not using the eARC is it worth paying for?

Has anyone tried an HDMI splitter, either 1:2 or with optical output?

many thanks

0 Likes
JonG
First Poster
Options

If you don't have EARC on your kit then you'll just need an HDMI Audio Extractor. Get one that's 2.0 and can do 4K at 60fps (one I've got no longer available). I use multiple devices with a SONOS Beam and just one audio in so also had to get an optical splitter as well (LiNKFOR Digital Optical Audio Switcher 3x1)

0 Likes
Spitfyer
Student
Options

Good to know, thanks Jon! Will see if I can tolerate stereo, or lag, and if not try one of those.

0 Likes