Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[KS OWNERS ONLY] Sky to introduce HDR content on Sky Q from March

(Topic created on: 27-02-2018 10:24 AM)
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Seen this article just now https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/sky-uk-unveils-next-wave-sky-q-tv-feature-upgrades.htm... and it will be very interesting to see if our televisions get HDR content through Sky Q.

Not seen anything yet about the format but assuming its HLG.

Will keep this thread as up to date as I can.

209 REPLIES 209
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@tarbatwrote:

I have both a 2016 Samsung (KS8000) and a 2017/18 Samsung (MU6400). I also have access to an HDFury & EDID analysis software, so have compared the "HDR Static Metadata" the EDID provides for these two TVs.

The 2016 KS8000:

2016.jpg

And the 2017/18 MU6400:

2018.jpg

So, Samsung definately need to update our 2016 KS TVs to provide the correct EDID before Sky start transmitting HLG content.

Was this done over hdmi I take it? If so I agree Samsung definitely need to update it before Sky broadcast HLG content or otherwise our KS tv's will not be able to display it at all.

tarbat
Voyager
Options

@daleski75wrote:

Was this done over hdmi I take it? If so I agree Samsung definitely need to update it before Sky broadcast HLG content or otherwise our KS tv's will not be able to display it at all.

Yes, this was over HDMI. Unless Samsung correct the EDID data from our KS tv's, they will not accept HLG on their HDMI inputs. They'll only accept SDR and ST.2084, so they only other solution would be for Sky to put ST.2084 out on the HDMI interface instead of HLG, which is highly unlikely in my opinion.

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

In case anyone with a technical interest is still reading this. I have now successfully proven that a 2016 KS8000 TV can accept HLG on it's HDMI inputs. By using my HDFury Integral to override the TV's EDID for HLG, and then generating an HDR infoframe injection, the TV auto-switched into HLG mode.

P1010871.JPG

P1010870.JPG

I then confirmed that what I was injecting was genuine HLG by repeating the exercise on my 2017 TV, which has the useful feature of actually displaying the gamma being used, and it correctly displayed HLG.

The infoframe used was:
87:01:1a:cc:03:00:34:21:aa:9b:96:19:fc:08:48:8a:08:39:13:3d:42:40:a0:0f:32:00:e8:03:90:01

So, this shows that as long as Samsung correct the EDID data, the Sky Q box should be able to send HLG to the TV.

UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@tarbatwrote:

In case anyone with a technical interest is still reading this. I have now successfully proven that a 2016 KS8000 TV can accept HLG on it's HDMI inputs. By using my HDFury Integral to override the TV's EDID for HLG, and then generating an HDR infoframe injection, the TV auto-switched into HLG mode.

P1010871.JPG

P1010870.JPG

I then confirmed that what I was injecting was genuine HLG by repeating the exercise on my 2017 TV, which has the useful feature of actually displaying the gamma being used, and it correctly displayed HLG.

The infoframe used was:
87:01:1a:cc:03:00:34:21:aa:9b:96:19:fc:08:48:8a:08:39:13:3d:42:40:a0:0f:32:00:e8:03:90:01

So, this shows that as long as Samsung correct the EDID data, the Sky Q box should be able to send HLG to the TV.

Nice!

I was thinking of purchasing an HDFury myself recently. I have two questions:

1. How did the HLG image look to you? When I play HLG from YouTube via HDMI, the image, especially skin tones, look very oversaturated.

2. How exactly did you override the TV's EDID and inject the infoframe for HLG? Did you use the HDFury's default GUI?

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@UHDHDRwrote:

@tarbatwrote:

P1010871.JPG

P1010870.JPG

The infoframe used was:

Nice!

1. How did the HLG image look to you? When I play HLG from YouTube via HDMI, the image, especially skin tones, look very oversaturated.

2. How exactly did you override the TV's EDID and inject the infoframe for HLG? Did you use the HDFury's default GUI?

Can ask what device are you using to get YouTube hlg via hdmi? 

Also if it you can get the edid sorted why do you think Samsung have not already done that? 

0 Likes
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@paul1111wrote:

@UHDHDRwrote:

@tarbatwrote:

P1010871.JPG

P1010870.JPG

The infoframe used was:

Nice!

Can ask what device are you using to get YouTube hlg via hdmi? 

Also if it you can get the edid sorted why do you think Samsung have not already done that? 

Already addressed multiple times in the other thread. Stop spamming the same question over and over.

tarbat
Voyager
Options

@UHDHDRwrote:

The HLG image looked, as expected, oversaturated, since the source material's gamma range is not HLG.  Although one surprise was that Wonder Woman UHD download from Sky Q actually looked quite good, which did make me wonder whether any of Sky's content is already encoded for HLG. Given that HLG is "backward-compatible" for normal SDR TVs, it's a possiblity that Sky already have some material with HLG gamma levels.

To override the EDID I used the standard HDFury Integral GUI. You can simply use the AUTOMIX function and enable HDR/HLG, and that works. However the approach I used was to capture the TVs EDID using HDFury, and then edit that in EEditGold software to add the HLG flag to the CEA extension. Export from EEditGold and load into the HDFury EDID table.

0 Likes
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@tarbatwrote:

@UHDHDRwrote:

The HLG image looked, as expected, oversaturated, since the source material's gamma range is not HLG.  Although one surprise was that Wonder Woman UHD download from Sky Q actually looked quite good, which did make me wonder whether any of Sky's content is already encoded for HLG. Given that HLG is "backward-compatible" for normal SDR TVs, it's a possiblity that Sky already have some material with HLG gamma levels.

To override the EDID I used the standard HDFury Integral GUI. You can simply use the AUTOMIX function and enable HDR/HLG, and that works. However the approach I used was to capture the TVs EDID using HDFury, and then edit that in EEditGold software to add the HLG flag to the CEA extension. Export from EEditGold and load into the HDFury EDID table.

So you used to EEditGold to generate the Infoframe which you then loaded into the HDFury GUI?

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@UHDHDRwrote:

@tarbatwrote:

@UHDHDRwrote:

So you used to EEditGold to generate the Infoframe which you then loaded into the HDFury GUI?

But what has this got to with sky hlg on ks Samsung TVs ? Which is what this thread is about. 

0 Likes
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@paul1111wrote:

@UHDHDRwrote:

@tarbatwrote:

@UHDHDRwrote:

But what has this got to with sky hlg on ks Samsung TVs ? Which is what this thread is about. 

tarbat found a way to get Sky HLG to work on the KS TVs using the HDFury.

Try to keep up.