Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@dunwellwrote:
(1) I'm not an expert. Everything I know, I've learned from this (and the Sky Q) thread and I'm extremely grateful for those who know more than me for the amount of time they have spent patiently explaining this technology.

(2) I think it's pretty obvious what will happen if EDID does not get fixed - HDR from external sources (Satellite boxes, streaming sticks etc) will not work for us KS TV owners.

(3) You called someone ignorant in your previous post!

(4) Plenty here have been critical of Samsung without being shot down. Everyone here has a right to be critical about the iPlayer debacle but the bigger picture needs to be kept in mind. If they don't ever fix EDID then the full spectrum or criticism will be entirely justifiable

(5) You get shot down because whilst you think that you are "just asking"; your questions often come across as aggressive, critical, hyper-sensitive and rude. It just isn't necessary, particularly when 90% of the time the things you are "just asking" about have been answered multiple times over in this and the other thread.

This isn't meant to be a personal attack (it isn't really, I'm sure you're a perfectly nice person) but I just want to reflect back to you what I'm sure many other forum users like me are frustrated about with some of the discourse over recent weeks.

I am highly annoyed by Samsung and the Iplayer issue. People who try to say its not that bad and we can use external devices to get the same do not help. This is why I have asked to name such devices and still not one except the Samsung player (thats if you want to buy another samsung product). A person tried to say they could get and were watching the satellite feed via a satellite external receiver, only to post an article that said you could not send HLG over HDMI! But that is going off topic and we should get back to the issue of Iplayer HLG.  I think it is very unlikely Samsung will fix the EDID because they must have known of this issue sometime back.

You are mistaken and HDR via HDMI is not a problem and works fine from all sources it is HLG that is the issue. 

If you do not like my posts then ignore them please.

0 Likes
BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

To clarify, its virtually guaranteed that the in-built iPlayer app cannot be updated to UHD OR HLG meaning that the TV's OS is not compatible with the updated iPlayer App and therefore, if HLG iPlayer is IMPORTANT to you, then you will have NO other choice but to either wait to see if Samsung fixes the EDID issue, wait to see if ANY device works without requiring the 'HLG' EDID and just sends HLG content regardless, OR upgrades to a new TV. Regardless, it means that the ONLY hope now for being able to play BBC iPlayer HLG on a KS TV will be via an External device.

For those that are still struggling with that, we don't have any concrete information about when (or if) Samsung will fix the EDID issue. We don't know when/if any devices will be released with the 4k HLG enabled iPlayer app that may not need the EDID data (its technically possible but whether they will make any or not, we will have to see). Nothing will change until either Samsung fix the EDID or at least tell us if they don't plant to fix it at all. Even if they don't fix it, it seems that a HDFury will at least offer a solution, a way around the EDID issue and could still enable people to watch HLG iPlayer in HLG on a KS TV - but 'officially' nothing has changed until we either hear about or get an update to fix the EDID issue - same situation we have been in for months now!

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@BAMozzywrote:

@paul1111wrote:

How ignorant are you for calling people on here ignorant for asking reasonable question. I know you are the expert here but you still have not told me of any other device apart from the Samsung disc player that can send hlg over HDMI. If Samsung do not update the EDID where does that leave ks TVs? Will there be any device that can send a hlg signal to the ks.  If the iplayer hlg is an European standard where does that leave the ks? 

Sorry for being ignorant and stupid,  I am just asking a question not insulting users here! 

Not ignorant at all - maybe getting rather fed up and frustrated with others who have no idea what they are talking about, what this means and yet again having to re-iterate that the state of play is NO different from how it was a week ago, a month ago etc and that the situation won't change until either Samsung do or do not update the EDID issue. As you were keen to shout, that may not even happen until next month (although that is SPECULATION from a user and NOT official). The fact that I am fully aware that this changes 'nothing' and that nothing will change unless Samsung make an official statement regarding EDID fix or just update it, then how can I be ignorant? I am fully aware of the situation!

As ALL of this has been stated to you MANY times and this news Article 'update' hasn't changed ANYTHING. Certainly NOTHING that should have resulted in you getting on your soapbox and trying to rally others onto your personal crusade, certainly nothing that requires you to yet again go over things that have been stated many times before. Unless or Until we get an update to fix the EDID, then chances are, most (if not all - unless some will send HLG regardless of knowing whether the TV can handle it or not) external devices will not work as intended. How is that any different to what was know last week? How as some slight 'clarification' on a article suddenly thrown everything up in the air again? What has actually changed that you need to get so worked up over yet again? Both the original text and update state that the 2016 (and older TV's) cannot play the HLG (or even UHD but that doesn't mean that the TV isn't 4k enabled) iPlayer app and wouldn't be able too. All its clarified is that the reason is not necessarily just HLG related but related to the App. You can't put a PS4 disc in an XB1 and expect it work - point is, the App is not compatible with the Tizen OS in our TV's which was already known and this is just saying the same thing.

You were saying that there were devices that could send a HLG signal to the KS over HDMI. Infact you called me ignorant for asking what devices could send HLG over HDMI. It now seems when I question some who said they were receiving HLG over HDMI I was correct. Also who is shouting?

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

This is such a frustrating post. Again, to break it down:

(1) This is not off-topic; the topic has been broadened by the moderator to include HDR / HLG on Samsung TVs

(2) Nobody is saying that the issue can currently be mitigated by using external devices.

(3) The thread(s) have been really clear over the last couple of weeks that external devices may hold the eventual answer to this problem but are entirely dependent on EDID being fixed

(4) Nobody on here can answer why EDID wasn't already fixed and whether it is going to be fixed in the future. This is only speculation and as per other posters, nothing has changed with regard to this.

(5) Re HLG /  HDR - I think it is fair to say that in the context of the discussion on these pages the terms can sometimes (not always correctly) be used interchangably. My apologies if my post caused you any confusion but I think it was clear what was intended to have been said.

I would really implore you to stay calm about all of this... it will either be resolved with an EDID fix or it won't.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

But why were people saying they could get HLG over HDMI when it was false

@BAMozzy    said

This changes nothing - nothing we didn't know months ago. This is one of the MAIN reasons we started looking at alternative methods of getting iPlayer HLG and that was very dependent on whether HLG would work over HDMI in particular. With a lack of actual HLG iPlayer devices, its been difficult - especially with some being too ignorant to make the connection that if HLG works with 'x, y and z' devices over HDMI, there is almost a guarantee that some external devices will be able to offer BBC iPlayer HLG - like SkyQ for example as a HDMI option or even Amazon Fire Stick as a USB option in the future.

I think it is quite clear he she is saying HLG will work over HDMI when that is not possible.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@paul1111wrote:

But why were people saying they could get HLG over HDMI when it was false

@BAMozzy    said

This changes nothing - nothing we didn't know months ago. This is one of the MAIN reasons we started looking at alternative methods of getting iPlayer HLG and that was very dependent on whether HLG would work over HDMI in particular. With a lack of actual HLG iPlayer devices, its been difficult - especially with some being too ignorant to make the connection that if HLG works with 'x, y and z' devices over HDMI, there is almost a guarantee that some external devices will be able to offer BBC iPlayer HLG - like SkyQ for example as a HDMI option or even Amazon Fire Stick as a USB option in the future.

I think it is quite clear he she is saying HLG will work over HDMI when that is not possible.

And again please could you tell me the names of tghe x,y and z devices that can send a HLG over HDMI as you say.

Also the HD Fury seems to be an American product not for sale un the UK.

0 Likes
BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@paul1111wrote:

You were saying that there were devices that could send a HLG signal to the KS over HDMI. Infact you called me ignorant for asking what devices could send HLG over HDMI. It now seems when I question some who said they were receiving HLG over HDMI I was correct. Also who is shouting?

There are devices that can send HLG over HDMI - the Samsung Bluray Players and the Oppo 203 Bluray player. Its also been proven that other devices, if you use a HDFury to tell the Device that the TV can support HLG and therefore send HLG, works too. If that isn't proof enough that HLG works over HDMI, I don't know what is. I am NOT shouting, I use Caps to emphasise certain words - that is NOT shouting! Its about trying to get you to understand that nothing has changed and that we are STILL in the same situation as we were a month ago!!

You are STILL INCORRECT!!! HLG can work over HDMI as proven by people with Oppo Bluray players (if you don't like Samsung) and by those with HDFury devices that tell those Devices the TV is HLG enabled and therefore send HLG over HDMI which works as expected - automatically switches to HDR.

The issue, as it has been for MONTHS is that the EDID is limiting the devices that will send HLG over HDMI. If its nt receiving the right information, the devices aren't even trying to send HLG over HDMI but downgrading it to just SDR before sending. By using a HDFury to tell the device the TV can play HLG, these devices then send HLG content over HDMI and the TV displays them as HLG HDR. That proves that HLG works over HDMI - so you constantly saying it doesn't is factually incorrect. Its a workaround until Samsung fix the EDID which will make it much easier (no need to buy a HDFury) to just plug the device directly into the OCB and get HLG over HDMI BUT that won't mean that HLG has suddenly been enabled - just that the Devices are now receiving the information that the TV is HLG enabled rather than just HDR enabled.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@BAMozzywrote:

@paul1111wrote:

There are devices that can send HLG over HDMI - the Samsung Bluray Players and the Oppo 203 Bluray player. Its also been proven that other devices, if you use a HDFury to tell the Device that the TV can support HLG and therefore send HLG, works too. If that isn't proof enough that HLG works over HDMI, I don't know what is. I am NOT shouting, I use Caps to emphasise certain words - that is NOT shouting! Its about trying to get you to understand that nothing has changed and that we are STILL in the same situation as we were a month ago!!

You are STILL INCORRECT!!! HLG can work over HDMI as proven by people with Oppo Bluray players (if you don't like Samsung) and by those with HDFury devices that tell those Devices the TV is HLG enabled and therefore send HLG over HDMI which works as expected - automatically switches to HDR.

The issue, as it has been for MONTHS is that the EDID is limiting the devices that will send HLG over HDMI. If its nt receiving the right information, the devices aren't even trying to send HLG over HDMI but downgrading it to just SDR before sending. By using a HDFury to tell the device the TV can play HLG, these devices then send HLG content over HDMI and the TV displays them as HLG HDR. That proves that HLG works over HDMI - so you constantly saying it doesn't is factually incorrect. Its a workaround until Samsung fix the EDID which will make it much easier (no need to buy a HDFury) to just plug the device directly into the OCB and get HLG over HDMI BUT that won't mean that HLG has suddenly been enabled - just that the Devices are now receiving the information that the TV is HLG enabled rather than just HDR enabled.

OK so may I ask why do Sky not use the same work around and aslo all other devices, if it is posible, and why then do you need the EDID at all please?

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

I have just had a look at the review for the Oppo 203 and therevsi no mention of HLG support.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/blu-ray-players/1405903/oppo-udp-203-review-the-expensive-4k-uhd-blu-...

0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@paul1111wrote:

I have just had a look at the review for the Oppo 203 and therevsi no mention of HLG support.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/blu-ray-players/1405903/oppo-udp-203-review-the-expensive-4k-uhd-blu-...

It does, via firmware update, HDMI2.0b means HLG

http://support.oppodigital.com.au/support/solutions/articles/4000094153-udp-203-frequently-asked-que...