Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
MC_Blade
Pioneer
Options
Do you mean hlg not hdr? As the TV definitely supports hdr already 😉
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

As it was said, Sky Q HLG does not work on TV in 2016. It has been tested by a tester. 

When I have news about the update of the TV 2016 I will keep you informed

Saverio Casadidio
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@mrticklewrote:
Relevant to the earlier discussion, and beautiful regardless:

From blu-ray.com
"For those who have devices that support HDR on YouTube, check out this demo that's been uploaded in both HDR10 and HLG. A good comparison between the two. HDR10 version has deeper contrast and richer colors, while HLG looks slightly brighter overall, but the colors look a bit washed out in comparison."
IMPORTANT: those descriptions of the colours are someone's OPINION.

HDR10:
SONY STAND NAB SHOW 2018 SAMPLE 1 HDR 10 BT 2020 Color 10 Bit - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0Dz33gtNOs

---------------------
HLG:
SONY STAND NAB SHOW 2018 SAMPLE 1 HYBRID GAMMA HDR HLG - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ86ThGgXk0

Enjoy.

I compared the two on LG OLED and could not see any major difference, again I wasnt doing iot side by side so might have missed out minor caveat - the diffrence isnst as huge as LG Jazz in HDR and HLG

I must say this HDR clip is one of the least retina burning I've vere watched and is quite close to directors intent, remember this is all underwater scenery so expect brightness and colurs to be muted (salt water will allow less light tpo pass throaugh than air or clear water) howevre the thing to wtach out is the details like pices of algae and other stuff flaoting around which can be seen in full detail in both clips - if a TV is bumping up specular highlihts then that would be wrong

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@UHDHDRwrote:

@BAMozzywrote:

I understand what @Saverio571 was trying to say about HLG and its comparison to the Pseudo HDR+ mode. The principal is very similar in but the application is different. Neither offer the wider colour gamut (or so it appears with HLG) so the colours are more muted when compared to HDR10. Its more 'consistent' than HDR+ which can work very well in some scenes but seem off in others. This also gives HLG a more natural looking HDR than HDR+.

The HLG demo's look great and 'consistent' throughout. However when you look at the HDR10 versions, the colours look richer, more vibrant. Reds and Greens are the most noticeable. With the Wider Colour Gamut, that doesn't mean that 'all' colours in scene are outside of the REC709 (SDR) range as the REC709 gamut fits inside the DCI-P3 gamut.

Color_Gamut

As the illustration  above shows, REC709 fits inside the DCI-P3 gamut and so the majority of colours are the same regardless. The Wider Colour Gamut though can have more Reds and Greens in particular than REC709 which is why these can be more vibrant, more rich. The 'Arc' shape represents the full range of colours the 'average' human can see but the triangles represent the different colour range of content. REC709 being the SDR range and it seems the range of HLG too - understandably as it is supposed to work for all TV's - not just those with DCI-P3 or REC2020 colour gamuts.

That's not true. HLG does offer wide color gamut. HDR10 looks better because when you are grading for HLG, you are creating an image that is supposed to look good on an SDR rec709 TV, and also provide an acceptable HDR image on an HDR display. The problem with that is in post production, you have to apply a separate correction to the mid tones and to the highlights, because the gamma is very different between the two. So grading is trickier for HLG, whereas for HDR10, you worry mostly about optimizing the image for an HDR display. 

Exactly, most important thing is cerators intent, I watched two sony clips and can see all minute detaiils in the HLG version - this is footage taken inside salty water with all kind of depbris floating and blocking and dimming the light - do not expect colours to show artifical POP, HDR+ shows more vibrant colurs for SDR but that does not mean HDR+ is better

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Saverio571wrote:

It is right that the thing is resolved. But, to be honest, HLG is not very performing. It is not an HDR10. In a Samsung TV with HDR + activated, the image is hard to recognize it compared to an HLG. Just do the test with the usual jazz file in HLG and not in HLG. the difference in practice is not noticed if you take the non-HLG file and set the HDR +

Again a bit confused, are you saying here that the sky on italian tv is resoved for the KS? Because your last post seems slightly different,

Superuser

As it was said, Sky Q HLG does not work on TV in 2016. It has been tested by a tester. 

When I have news about the update of the TV 2016 I will keep you informed

Saverio Casadidio
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

Never said that problem are resolved. I said that for improving image we can activate HDR+. But it is not HLG although, in my opinion, there is not much difference

Saverio Casadidio
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

Just watched the two clips and I now can see that the HLG is a bit more like SDR where as the HDR10 does sparkle. Just my own thoughts, not a statement.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Saverio571wrote:

Never said that problem are resolved. I said that for improving image we can activate HDR+. But it is not HLG although, in my opinion, there is not much difference

So what are you saying here

"It is right that the thing is resolved. But, to be honest, HLG is not very performing. It is not an HDR10."

So what is resolved?

Saverio571
MegaStar
Options
I apologize. for Google traslation
Saverio Casadidio
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@JAMES4578wrote:

@Pete1234wrote:

Yes I saw that!  But it's a fact that many other manufacturers enabled their tv's to work with the HLG HDR iPlayer and Samsung did not and seemingly won't.  

Whether those other tv's will give the full HDR experience is a different question and not actually the subject of this thread.  

I appreciate the frustrations of KS owners and you are obviously entitled to seek redress as desired, certainly does not look positive if reports of technical challenges with the  DVB-DASH format on 2016 software are correct.  However if Iplayer HLG can be supported on external devices does offer another option.

I think it's more to do with the internal Tizen-TV Javascript engine Samsung used on this and the 2015 model.

For some reason, they opted to use a lot of outmoded modules even by 2016 standards on 2015/16 Tizen-TV builds (which carry a lot of the same underlying code). It's here where the incompatibility lies, they also implemented a non-industry standard encryption model, and it's come back to bite them on the backside.

Even the 2017/2018 Tizen-TV implementations appear to be flawed.