Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 24-04-2018 08:41 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Jay108
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@Jay108 wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43879649  

I assume people with KS models were not able watch the rugby match? 

Did anyone try?

Two things in response to your question,

thank you for the link, and yes I did try and no as it does not give the option on my KS 8000. My son who has a 2016 LG oled did watch it. Looks like I will be watching the world cup at his house

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@Jay108 wrote:

Did anyone try?

thank you for the link, and yes I did try and no as it does not give the option on my KS 8000. My son who has a 2016 LG oled did watch it. Looks like I will be watching the world cup at his house.

did not work for me either.

Come on Samsung sort this out. 

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@Jay108 wrote:

Did anyone try?

thank you for the link, and yes I did try and no as it does not give the option on my KS 8000. My son who has a 2016 LG oled did watch it. Looks like I will be watching the world cup at his house.

did not work for me either.

Come on Samsung sort this out. 

I some how thing by now Samsung have no intentions of sorting this out. It is either they won't or the TV can not be updated. Thier have been some saying that Samsung will have a fix for HLG over HDMI but that is no use for us wanting Iplayer and Sky HLG, and I think it is a bit of miss information. I agree Samsung please again inform us of your plans which @AntS said would be coming soon.

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

That’s not right Paul. A fix for HLG over HDMI would indeed sort Sky Q and then iPlayer too from connected devices. 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@dunwell wrote:

That’s not right Paul. A fix for HLG over HDMI would indeed sort Sky Q and then iPlayer too from connected devices. 

How? Even our Italian friend said it was not a fix for SKY HLG!

What other devices do you know will all so do Iplayer HLG over HDMI!

If I am wrong then I will say sorry again!

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options
I don’t think you understand any of the technological side of this discussion which is a shame as (a) others have explained it in depth multiple times and (b) your knowledge is inversely proportionate to your posting frequency.

If HDMI / EDID gets fixed then SkyQ HLG will work in Italy and when it launches here. It will also allow us to use iPlayer on HDMI devices that have the beta, which may include SkyQ in the future.
Jay108
Voyager
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@dunwell wrote:

@AntS moderator  we have waited long enough. We demand a response from Samsung. Samsung has been dangling a carrot 🥕 for far too long.  Samsung stated that broadcast HLG is supported then why this  live broadcast of rubgby on BBC was not available to us. 

Why cant Samsung provide a proper response.  We all want to watch World Cup in 4K / HDR. 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@dunwell wrote:
I don’t think you understand any of the technological side of this discussion which is a shame as (a) others have explained it in depth multiple times and (b) your knowledge is inversely proportionate to your posting frequency.

If HDMI / EDID gets fixed then SkyQ HLG will work in Italy and when it launches here. It will also allow us to use iPlayer on HDMI devices that have the beta, which may include SkyQ in the future.

I think I do as you say IF Samsung fix the EDID then we are all happy, BUT Samsung have not! If it was such a simple fix as you and others have said then why have Samsung not sent a patch by now????

I also asked what other devices can recieve Iplayer HLG, because I have not seen any, and they would be no good unless Samsung update the EDID!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options
That was exactly my point Paul! That an HDMI / EDID fix would be very helpful for us. In your post around ten minutes ago you said it wouldn’t help SkyQ. It would help!
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@dunwell wrote:

@AntS moderator  we have waited long enough. We demand a response from Samsung. Samsung has been dangling a carrot 🥕 for far too long.  Samsung stated that broadcast HLG is supported then why this  live broadcast of rubgby on BBC was not available to us. 

Why cant Samsung provide a proper response.  We all want to watch World Cup in 4K / HDR. 

Can I ask you @Jay108 do you think I am being unreasonable asking these questions?

0 Likes