Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 18-03-2018 07:28 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Jay108
Voyager
Options

The FIFA World Cup is being shot in 4K UHD and it’s rumoured that the BBC will be launching its 4K UHD service for the start of the tournament . 

https://hisense.co.uk/world-cup-hub/world-class-ways-watch/

Also see link below:

Hisense's exclusive World Cup TV app will stream games in 4K HDR

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/08/hisense-world-cup-4k-hdr/

dunwell
Voyager
Options

Indeed - and I suspect that is what is really driving the SkyQ HDR rollout across Europe during 18/19 Q1. Whether Samsung help us 2015 / 2016 model owners out with an EDID fix in time is entirely questionable though. 

Jay108
Voyager
Options

@dunwellwrote:

Indeed - and I suspect that is what is really driving the SkyQ HDR rollout across Europe during 18/19 Q1. Whether Samsung help us 2015 / 2016 model owners out with an EDID fix in time is entirely questionable though. 

But Samsung has already confirmed that  live Broadcast HLG is supported on KS models if I remember correctly.  So if bbc is launching a new UHD channel then it should work for at least 2016 morels. Not sue about 2015 models though.

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@Jay108... No. The BBC are only looking to use the UHD HDR Iplayer to deliver 4K to UK homes in the short term. The only UHD channel will be on the iplayer for the time being.

Jay108
Voyager
Options

@crashcriswrote:

@Jay108... No. The BBC are only looking to use the UHD HDR Iplayer to deliver 4K to UK homes in the short term. The only UHD channel will be on the iplayer for the time being. I think this has been covered quite a few times here already. It's what this thread is about, it's in its title.

@crashcris. Thanks for correcting me. Meaning KS owners are stuffed. 

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Jay108wrote:

@crashcriswrote:

@Jay108... No. The BBC are only looking to use the UHD HDR Iplayer to deliver 4K to UK homes in the short term. The only UHD channel will be on the iplayer for the time being. I think this has been covered quite a few times here already. It's what this thread is about, it's in its title.

@crashcris. Thanks for correcting me. Meaning KS owners are stuffed. 

yes but go to ks refund thread, and get a refund and buy a new telly. I would suggest buying from Richer Sounds.

crashcris
Voyager
Options

It is the reason this forum topic exists. SAMSUNG not doing their upmost to support their JS and KS TVs as far as BBC iplayer is concerned. The rotters won't be getting my future custom.

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options
Not necessarily. The BBC have regularly launched “pop up” channels in the past for major events. Twenty Olympic channels in 2012 for example. Even BBC HD channel was a “trial” for a long time, rushed out in time for the 2006 World Cup.
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@dunwellwrote:
Not necessarily. The BBC have regularly launched “pop up” channels in the past for major events. Twenty Olympic channels in 2012 for example. Even BBC HD channel was a “trial” for a long time, rushed out in time for the 2006 World Cup.

I think I will have laugh at that!

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@dunwell ... True. Anything is possible. I'm a JS owner so OTA HLG hasn't been activated on my set and I doubt it'll even be able to receive a UHD over the air broadcast. I love my TV but all this lack of support takes the shine off of it for me.

0 Likes