Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 03-03-2018 06:45 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Kendo88wrote:

wrote:

Broadcasts will clearly be HLG (not least because the HDR10 metadata can't be created until you have the entire programme file to parse and analyse to find the brightest frames to create the metadata, which is needed by the TV at the start). This will be fine for our TVs because it is an established fact that HLG over HDMI works.

"On Demand" downloaded content (ie not a satellite broadcast) can technically be either but I'd be surprised if Sky went to the trouble of needlessly converting HLG to HDR10.

It’s a fact that 2016 KS TV’s support HLG over HDMI? Definitely not. Not one example of broadcast HLG working over HDMI. They only thing that works is YouTube and USB. The above post about sky Italy, not supported. Look at DirecTV in the USA, they have HLG on their box and guess what? It doesn’t work on 2016 Samsung’s. DirecTV engineers looked into it and came to the conclusion that the 2016 Samsung’s didn’t support it, as the EDID did not label HLG support, therefore the box didn’t send it.

i would be totally shocked if Sky Q HLG works on 2016 Samsung’s. Samsung have shafted all of its buyers

I thank you for the above and I have been asking for where you can see HLG over hdmi and am still waiting g for an answer. I did see a HLG clip on the TV YouTube app but not through hdmi,  which device can do it?  As per USB the ks cannot play ts files which the clips are and if you look on ratings. com they say the ks can not play ts files.  So I have not seen HLG over USB. I think again miss information from ? ???

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111wrote:

@JAMES4578wrote:

I'm posting this  on behalf of @Saverio571  in connection with SkyQ's  4K HDR:

In Italy Sky from March 25 will broadcast  F1 in 4k HDR on Sky Q. On 8 March the beta testers will receive an update that enables the HDMI port to 2.0b. At this time the Samsung 2016  sets are not compatible with the Sky HLG via HDMI port. As far as I know  they have promised a firmware that enables the HLG of Sky but do not know when it will arrive.
The solution adopted by Sky in Italy for 4K HDR will be the same as that which shall be  be adopted in the UK.

This sounds abut like de ja veu,  another promise,  but until the first broadcast we will not know. 

Correction - until the firmware is fixed we will not know. We already do know that with our current firmware we'd have the same EDID issues that our brothers and sisters in America with DirectTV have.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@mrticklewrote:

@paul1111wrote:

@JAMES4578wrote:

I'm posting this  on behalf of @Saverio571  in connection with SkyQ's  4K HDR:

In Italy Sky from March 25 will broadcast  F1 in 4k HDR on Sky Q. On 8 March the beta testers will receive an update that enables the HDMI port to 2.0b. At this time the Samsung 2016  sets are not compatible with the Sky HLG via HDMI port. As far as I know  they have promised a firmware that enables the HLG of Sky but do not know when it will arrive.
The solution adopted by Sky in Italy for 4K HDR will be the same as that which shall be  be adopted in the UK.

This sounds abut like de ja veu,  another promise,  but until the first broadcast we will not know. 

Correction - until the firmware is fixed we will not know. We already do know that with our current firmware we'd have the same EDID issues that our brothers and sisters in America with DirectTV have.

And that is the issue!  Wouldn't it be great if Samsung actually said they will or will not!  Their silence says a lot and I think there are going to be a lot of upset owners.  

Think on anyone thinking of going for a refund for misrepresentation over the smart connect dongle it may now be a good time. 

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

Let’s wait and see. I don’t care about iPlayer or USB Dongles. Lack of Sky Support is a whole different matter. 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@dunwellwrote:

Let’s wait and see. I don’t care about iPlayer or USB Dongles. Lack of Sky Support is a whole different matter. 

I hope you are not disappointed. 

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111wrote:

And that is the issue!  Wouldn't it be great if Samsung actually said they will or will not!  Their silence says a lot and I think there are going to be a lot of upset owners.  

Think on anyone thinking of going for a refund for misrepresentation over the smart connect dongle it may now be a good time. 

Agreed. Remember we have a rock solid legal redress (dispite the illegal wriggling of bad retailers like Curries) via the Smart Connect Dongle, for many years to come. 

Personally I'm not in a rush. I'd have to research a replacement first, and LG's 2018 range hasn't been launched and reviewed yet for one thing!

0 Likes
amokuk
Voyager
Options

As someone who has constantly said this will be the case for months i feel somewhat vindicated by this news from italy and the usa. We dont have a definition of what broadcast is to samsung and it wouldnt suprise me if sky is over ip as well. The difference with sky and virgin is there will be a box sitting in front but the decoding will be offloaded to the tv. 

So you're going to be disappointed.

Just a heads up, samsung have til weds to reply to my letter of intent. After that i will be initiating small claims court action over all this. I hope ibwin and can get resolution for ks owners. Sadly i cant list js issues in my claim for obvious reasons. 

amokuk
Voyager
Options
By the way next week i would thoroughly appreciate any help on listing of the smart connect and hlg issues to collate into my claim. By that i mean the emails sent regarding smart connect being dropped and any links that are pertinent to the hlg and other promises broken. Sadly hdr10+ is a no go as that was only announced after we had all bought the tvs. Ill post here when i am getting it together.
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@mrticklewrote:

@paul1111wrote:

Agreed. Remember we have a rock solid legal redress (dispite the illegal wriggling of bad retailers like Curries) via the Smart Connect Dongle, for many years to come. 

Personally I'm not in a rush. I'd have to research a replacement first, and LG's 2018 range hasn't been launched and reviewed yet for one thing!

Just to mention that you should report your miss selling issues as soon as you are aware of them. If you do not it is deemed that you accept the TV has it is not as you were promised. 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@paul1111wrote:

@Kendo88wrote:

wrote:

Broadcasts will clearly be HLG (not least because the HDR10 metadata can't be created until you have the entire programme file to parse and analyse to find the brightest frames to create the metadata, which is needed by the TV at the start). This will be fine for our TVs because it is an established fact that HLG over HDMI works.

"On Demand" downloaded content (ie not a satellite broadcast) can technically be either but I'd be surprised if Sky went to the trouble of needlessly converting HLG to HDR10.

It’s a fact that 2016 KS TV’s support HLG over HDMI? Definitely not. Not one example of broadcast HLG working over HDMI. They only thing that works is YouTube and USB. The above post about sky Italy, not supported. Look at DirecTV in the USA, they have HLG on their box and guess what? It doesn’t work on 2016 Samsung’s. DirecTV engineers looked into it and came to the conclusion that the 2016 Samsung’s didn’t support it, as the EDID did not label HLG support, therefore the box didn’t send it.

i would be totally shocked if Sky Q HLG works on 2016 Samsung’s. Samsung have shafted all of its buyers

I thank you for the above and I have been asking for where you can see HLG over hdmi and am still waiting g for an answer. I did see a HLG clip on the TV YouTube app but not through hdmi,  which device can do it?  As per USB the ks cannot play ts files which the clips are and if you look on ratings. com they say the ks can not play ts files.  So I have not seen HLG over USB. I think again miss information from ? ???

@I also have been saying the same and having to deal with Samsungs lackys saying Samsung have done no wrong. You all see them on AV Forums bit like the Russian Miss information and trying to defend the indefenseable.  Bit like the Italian and @ BAMozzy  who I think are being paid by Samsung.  Before you repeat yourself yes I will be honest and yes I do have an agenda and that is to try to show how dishonest Samsung are and how bad they treat their customer's. It will be I won't say interesting if we will get Sky HLG its more like we are praying Samsung will update our ks and older sets to receive it.  If I am wrong saying this please tell me if not then give me a thumbs up.