Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Galaxy S24 Ultra - Battery and Charging Issue

(Topic created on: 04-02-2024 04:58 AM)
ashoam0d
Journeyman
Options

I had my S24 ultra for 10 days now.  Since i got it and until this morning i am having the same issues and nothing is making them better.  The issues are:

• Battery drains so fast i have to charge the phone multiple times a day.  This phone replaced the S23 Ultra with the exact same settings.  Checking the battery monitor and nothing seems to be draining the battery!!!!!
  • The charger does not always work.  If it doesn't, i have to restart the phone to work again.
  • Charging randomly stops at 80-81%.  i have the battery protection off and it still does that.  

i checked every post on the net and i cant find a solution.  Anybody with the same problem???

Go to solution
39 REPLIES 39
Turbo Sunny
Journeyman
Options

I found it's not just, battery. Mine drains the battery like crazy, on the other hand the charging speed is playing a game with me as well. I'm connecting it to charge it shows as super fast charger,  with 1Hour and something to full. 30 minutes later it's only 10% up and still shows 1 H and something to full charg and the phone is hot as he'll. This is frustrating. 

Turbo Sunny
Journeyman
Options

I am coming back from a samsung repair center,  where a technician told me that you can kot charge your phone with anything other than the official 25 wat samsung charger!!! I have 45 w samsung charger for my laptop  and a 25 w charger.  They insist that the anything other than original cable and charger will damage the phone. I reminded them that samsung is not included any charger in the box. I realized I'm not getting anywhere with them,  so I am returning the phone 😶

JoefromNYC
Explorer
Options

After being disgusted about my second 1TB S24 Ultra also charging super slow AND charging to 90-92% and then stopping, I did the following.

I bought a new Samsung OEM 45W charger and cable from Amazon Samsung's store.

It arrived, I used it for a first S24 charge AND THE PHONE CHARGE FAST (as advertised) AND WITHOUT IT STOPPING CHARGING BEFORE 100%.

I used old 25W and 45W Samsung charges with a variety of cables before.  These chargers and cables still super fast charge my S23Ultra, S22+ & iPhone 15 Pro Max BUT NOT THE S24s.

Either the S24 charging port hardware OR software is very sensitive/faulty.

While I am happy to find the fix, I am extremely disappointed in Samsung to have manufacture a device that is so sensitive & finnicky.

JoefromNYC
Explorer
Options

After being disgusted about my second 1TB S24 Ultra also charging super slow AND charging to 90-92% and then stopping, I did the following.

I bought a new Samsung OEM 45W charger and cable from Amazon Samsung's store.

It arrived, I used it for a first S24 charge AND THE PHONE CHARGE FAST (as advertised) AND WITHOUT IT STOPPING CHARGING BEFORE 100%.

I used old 25W and 45W Samsung chargers with a variety of cables before.  These chargers and cables still super fast charge my S23Ultra, S22+ & iPhone 15 Pro Max BUT NOT THE S24s.

Either the S24 charging port hardware OR software is very sensitive/faulty.

While I am happy to find the fix, I am extremely disappointed in Samsung to have manufacture a device that is so sensitive & finnicky.

0 Likes
Reylob
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Hi @Turbo Sunny 

I am sorry you have to endure bad customer service. The idea that a Samsung 45W charger can damage the phone is plain cattle excrement, to put it politely.

Is your phone a S24? The S24+ and S24 Ultra supports 45W charging, so a 45W cannot damage them. I have a 3rd party 100W charger and it works perfectly well without damaging the S22 Ultra or the S24 Ultra. The supported wattage is the minimum required for the phone to charge within the advertised capability. My phone cannot charge any faster with my 100W charger because it cannot simply withdraw any more than the maximum 45W it supports.

The same applies to the S24, you need a minimum 25W for the phone to charge at the advertised capability/speed, but a 45W Samsung charger will not damage the phone.

Dodgy chargers could damage a phone because they might not comply with the advertised technical specification and it could "fry" the phone, but any charger from a reputable manufacturer should do the job.

It could well be that your phone is faulty. Returning the phone seems a logical thing to do if Samsung repair centre does not try to solve the problem. By the way, did they try to charge the phone? Did they say anything about what you were seeing? The phone getting too hot and not charging.

0 Likes
Reylob
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Hi @JoefromNYC 

The first thing you described made think that there was some battery protection at play. However, the fact that the  Samsung 45W  charger did charge the phone to 100% contradicts it.

My opinion is that it should be a software bug. If it were a problem with the port the new charger would not have worked either. Do you feel a difference on how well the USB cables get attached to the phone? Are the cable of the other chargers a bit loose?

The 25W charger should worked perfectly fine. It might take more time, but it should charge it to 100%.

As I mentioned on my reply to @Turbo Sunny, I use a 100W charger, but I have also used a wall USB port and a USB port on a lead extension. They all worked perfectly fine. I have even used a battery pack to charge my S24 ultra to a 100%.

The firmware update should have started rolling out from yesterday. Let's hope that it fixes your charging issue.

I think that I have been very lucky. I pre-ordered 2 S24 Ultra 1TB blue, me and partner, and so far both phones have been behaving very good. Battery performance has started to gradually improve. The initial days is really bad due to the learning phase.

By the way, is NYC for New York? If yes, you might also like to check the US site. This is the European community forum. The local forum might have more localised info.

0 Likes
Turbo Sunny
Journeyman
Options

My phone is a s24 ultra,  my chargers are a 25 w charger from my s20 ultra , and 45 w from my galxy laptop.  They charged the phone and mentioned that " yah it got warm" while the phone was HOT, and they Said I need to leave the phone with them for a few days di they can diagnose it. I agreed to that on one condition that they don't attempt a repair because if the phone is defective I want to return it. I didn't pay $1500 for this phone to be opened up in the first week.  Specially by a technician that says you can not charge your samsung phone with your samsung charger!!!

It is extremely frustrating. 

Turbo Sunny
Journeyman
Options

I forgot to mention in my other comment  . I really appreciate the time you spent on answering the questions. 

JoefromNYC
Explorer
Options

An update to the update of my updates.

My second charge with the Samsung OEM 45W charger did not go as well as the first.

I charged it overnight this time, (with the phone on) when I checked in the morning.  I see the phone first charged to 67% and then stopped charging for 33 minutes and then resumed charging from 67% to 100%.

Turbo sunny might have hit on it as an overheating issue.  The first time I charge it with the new charger, I left the phone in my office with the heat turned off, it was probably 60F in the room.  Last night, I charged it with heat on in the office with ambient temperature closer to 70F.

0 Likes
Jan1995
Apprentice
Options

I brought the phone 2 days back and it's not charging. Literally took more than 8 hours to charge. I simply tried if charge share is working and it wasn't at all. 

I am going to exchange the product. Does anyone know if you exchange do you still get free promotion stuff like earbuds? Please let me know. 

0 Likes