Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S22 Ultra with Exynos has performance & display issues

(Topic created on: 25-02-2022 12:59 PM)
ironass
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
This does not bode well for all those users in Europe who will be receiving their Exynos S22 Ultra devices from Samsung on their official launch day, today, 25th February...

"the only thing I can say is to hold off on purchasing the Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra for now if you live in Europe, because as it stands right now, the Exynos 2200 Galaxy S22 Ultra is completely unusable as a daily driver. It’s incredibly laggy and the battery life is terrible, too. This isn’t even the first day, it’s the second, and even “calibration” shouldn’t cause it to only have 50 minutes of SOT with 67% left."

(Source... Adam Conway, Senior editor at XDA-Developers)

I have a feeling that the new mantra for the Exynos S22 Ultra devices will be...

"Hopefully there will be an update to fix this soon"

If Samsung are able to release an update to fix these and other issues, they need to do it quickly before their returns date ends.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
My device... Galaxy Z Fold5 5G 12/512GB (G946B D/S) CSC EUX. Android 14. One UI 6.1
38 REPLIES 38
ryamoo
Helping Hand
Options
It's slightly concerning that there's been a Snapdragon build on 7th Feb but no exynos build since 8th Jan, especially when so many exynos devices got delivered on Monday.
Makes me think they haven't been able to fix the issues that they're aware of, so no point pushing an update out yet.
ironass
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

@ryamoo 

Perhaps it was that 08 January build that led them to quietly cancel their Exynos 2200 launch and cover their tracks. See...

Samsung's mismanaged Exynos 2200 launch is an ominous sign for the Galaxy S22

"The Exynos 2200shouldbe a significant launch for Samsung — it’s the first mobile processor with hardware ray tracing support and the same RDNA2 architecture that powers popular games consoles. If that’s not an achievement to rub in your competitor’s faces, I don’t know what is. Instead, we’ve witnessed an almost secretive launch. Samsung has provided the bare minimum of detail on the chipset and has given nothing away regarding performance expectations."

This, in part, led me to cancel my pre-order of the Galaxy S22 Ultra on the Exynos 2200 chipset. It would have been arriving this morning. 

I decided that there was no way that I was going to pay £1,500 for a device that Samsung decided was not even good enough for their own country, South Korea.

I hope that I am wrong as I would really like to see the Exynos phones give Snapdragon a run for its money. However, the Exynos model is now the minority variant, worldwide and I do not want to spend my money and time being a beta tester for Samsung... as I was on the Exynos S20 Ultra... all the time being promised that the next update would fix all issues. It never did. ☹️

My device... Galaxy Z Fold5 5G 12/512GB (G946B D/S) CSC EUX. Android 14. One UI 6.1
Jimo2020
Navigator
Options
Good on you, as the only way Samsung will change it's ways, unfortunately, is by customers voting with their wallets and returning them
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I'm not saying it's wrong. Just wouldn't base your buying decision on it or some of these other articles
0 Likes
ryamoo
Helping Hand
Options
I think you've made a wise choice with cancelling.
I'm going to be seeing what devices come out with the Snapdragon 8 gen 1 and going with one of those instead.
ironass
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

@Glenntech 

My decision was based on my long association with Samsung.

I had the infamous Note 7, the exploding model, and was told time-and-again that it was safe and an update would fix it. After about 6 weeks they were recalled by Samsung. 

0 Likes
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I just posted about the Note 7 and my Note Fan Edition last night.
Loved the Note 7. Wasn’t keen on the battery thing obviously 😒
Got to admit that very nearly stopped me buying another Samsung. Glad it didn't though and I got the Note Fan Edition.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/other-smartphones/galaxy-note-7-fan-edition-nostalgic-look-back/...
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
The phone wasn't even released but its pre judged. Usual FUD on any new Samsung released phone. The display issue is gone with todays update and it was a very specific settings problem. I understand people are always cautious when buying, but it really doesn't get you any progress when every new release is met with so much pessimism.

Personally, I've never had any heating or display problems with any of Samsungs latest flagships over the last 3 years. I like to test the devices out for myself rather than make judgement on someone else's opinions.

On that note, my main issues with the S22 Ultra right now are mostly optimisation of the camera and battery life compared to the S21 Ultra.
Risky24
Helping Hand
Options
So much negativity going around. It's always good to be cautious and you vote with your wallet as you please, after all, you know what's best for you.
Unusable? LMAO! What an over dramatic statement. I've had my phone from the 21st like many others on here and not once would I describe the phone as unusable, not even close. In fact, I never even noticed some of the bugs until I read about them and paid attention.

These bugs can definitely be annoying but they're a mild inconvenience at worse. Unless there are some device breaking issues I don't know of, those reactions are scaremongering.
0 Likes
Scaryeire
Journeyman
Options

Me too I have updated the software on the S22U exynos today, and it's slightly better but slower than my S21U battery is terrible compared to S21U. Can samsung be sued for false advertising and constantly supplying inferior phones to Europe?? Its getting to be a joke at this stage really is..

0 Likes