Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone not charging after dying

(Topic created on: 20-03-2022 11:01 AM)
Members_mi3Bbvc
First Poster
Options

Twice my S22 Ultra has ran out of battery and died, then when I plug the charger in the phone doesn't start charging and only show's the screen with a grey circle and lighting bolt. I've somehow managed to get it charging by repeatedly pressing the power button. Has anyone else encountered this?

36 REPLIES 36
Raycus Marley
First Poster
Options

Yes, I just encountered this and found your post.

I know a little bit about USB since I have developed USB hardware and software - BUT I am by no means an expert on modern USB3 or PD functionality.

But I think it goes a little like this:

When in this mode (only displaying the charging icon in a circle) the system is booted in a very limited state where USB PD functionality is not enabled.

What that means is that the phone is only capable of old school "slow charging" as long as this screen is displayed. It seems that the phone will not boot further until some initial charge has been aquired.

I arrive in the "percentage displayed charging screen" only after reaching a 2% charge and since we are "slow charging" this can take some time, not to mention that what 2% actually means for your specific phone depends on learned battery behaviour on your specific device. This learned behavior is sometimes, often, wrong so it may be a higher or lower number of actual battery capacity.

Once reaching the "percentage displayed" screen, USB PD functionality seems to be booted up, enabling fast charging to begin if connected to a suitable charger.

On my phone, this can take well up to 15 minutes! More than long enough for me to think something may be wrong and google for forum suggestions and finding this post right here.

I don't think you pressing the power button has anything to do with it - I think you just need to be more patient than is typically expected by the modern man :face-with-tears-of-joy:

I may be wrong, try it!

0 Likes
drbenton
Apprentice
Options

Problem is, that when this happens to most people, it isn't charging at all.  I'd left mine in for several hours and it never even got 1%.  Even on slow charge, I should have had waaaaay more than that.  The only way I got it to charge was going through that diagnostic mode to use the reboot option from there.  Then it actually turned on and charged.  
Once booted up, by the way, it didn't show any charge at all.  It wasn't charging before going through the process I did.

0 Likes
mm mm
Student
Options

Had exactly the same problem on s20. The only solution that worked was to put it on the wireless charger. Once it was up and running I was able to charge it fully no problem. Shortly after replaced it so cant vouch if it happened again how it would go. 

0 Likes
rsh
First Poster
Options

These phones are pieces of *****. To all of you "samsung stars" telling people to just not let their phones go below X% or whatever, before you type it, think for just one second about how totally stupid that kind of thing sounds to people who have just paid $1000 for a piece of ***** device that doesn't work. Because it's not a goddamn excuse to say that there was 10% of battery left and therefore your phone is broken, haha, that's that. It's goddamn bull****. 

NoRealName
Student
Options

Samsung doesn't care. Instead of finding a way around this issue, they kept it active and in the meantime released S23

0 Likes
Cloudahh_Websites
First Poster
Options

My first S22 Ultra from 2022 never had this isse.  I had a replacement by Sep 2023, and this battery thing of running out then not charging up has happened a few times.

Previously I was able to fix by pressing buttons, and reconnecting the power cable.  But the latest time this didn't work at all.

I fixed it by using a wireless charger, this did start the charging, and once I got to a reasonable percent charged, I switched it on, waited it to start up, then used the cable again, and it started charging again.

Still not acceptable I'll need to carry around a portable wireless charger in case the phone runs out of battery!

Hope that helps.

https://www.cloudahh.com 

0 Likes
ddmac51
First Poster
Options
Why is the green charging circle not appearing on my Samsung S23 FE
Phone still charges
0 Likes