Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone not charging after dying

(Topic created on: 20-03-2022 11:01 AM)
Members_mi3Bbvc
First Poster
Options

Twice my S22 Ultra has ran out of battery and died, then when I plug the charger in the phone doesn't start charging and only show's the screen with a grey circle and lighting bolt. I've somehow managed to get it charging by repeatedly pressing the power button. Has anyone else encountered this?

36 REPLIES 36
izephyr
Apprentice
Options

And my phone just died overnight. I had below 10% charge. I fell asleep. In the morning, it won't turn on. Nothing Worked. Simply Dead. Customer Support said it needed replacement. So, those who have this battery problem after below 5% charge, please replace your device. Anyways, don't think I am an apple fanboy. Still trust Samsung but don't trust your device if it is already signaling you something wrong. 

0 Likes
MaryAnarchy
First Poster
Options

I am having this exact same issue.  My phone goes from 10%, dies, and will not charge even when I plug it in multiple places or leave it plugged in for 20 minutes.  I just see a grey circle and a lightning bolt.

Eventually it starts charging, it generally takes about 4 or 5 attempts but there is something obviously wrong with this phone.  Did you find a solution?  

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @MaryAnarchy Personally I would not recommend letting the charge drop to as low as 10%,see my previous post  and others in this thread.  However is there another charger you are able to try and regardless check that no debris is present in the charging port, Some folk with issues previously have found that wiping the cache partition helps . Method as follows:

1. Turn off the device.
2. Connect To Computer or plug in USB-C Headphones , Press and hold the Volume Up key and then press and hold the Power key .
3. When the Android logo displays, release all three keys.
4. An 'Installing system update' message will show for 30 - 60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
5. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
6. Press Power key to select.
7. Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
8. When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
9. Press the Power key to restart the device.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Frebu
First Poster
Options

A consumer grade device shouldn't be capable of operating in a way that damages itself, if your saying that is Samsungs general policy on battery life it means Samsung is creating defective devices to fake marketing specs which is pretty damning.

Leeny666
First Poster
Options

100000% agree, just a bunch of excuses, a thousand dollar phone shouldnt have this problem, Ive had this phone less than 2 weeks and I cant flipping get it to charge because it died once ??? If i could I'd get a refund this minute and switch to iphone. EXTREMLY dissapointed

AngryBee5
First Poster
Options

As has been pointed out, a phone worth a $1000 should be able to go to zero with ease. My previous version was an S10+ that repeatedly went to zero. Practically on a daily basis. You saying that it shouldn't go below 15% is the most useless and worthless suggestion here. 

NoRealName
Student
Options

Lately the phones are becoming more and more amusing (in a negative way).

For S22 series the advices are:

1. Do not discharge under 20%

2. Do not charge over 85%

Basically instead of phones being our tools, we slowly became their tools.

Samsung sucks for not being able to start up after discharging the battery to 0%

drbenton
Apprentice
Options

Bit of a late response but hopefully future people searching might find this useful.

I had this happen last night because I was listening to an audiobook and fell asleep and the phone ran out of battery. I left it plugged into a known good cable/plug for 2 hours and it just stayed on the gray circle with a lightning bolt.

Eventually I remembered that one could get into a special diagnostic boot up menu by holding the volume up and power buttons at the same time. I did this while having it plugged in and it brought up this menu with no problem. I then simply chose the option to reboot the phone. The phone turned on while plugged in with 1% battery and proceeded to charge just fine.

Members_RKC0ncS
First Poster
Options

The same just happened to me and I am still trying to start my phone while typing this message. Looks like it takes a couple of minute to start charging once completely drained. Dissappointing.

0 Likes
cakeycait
First Poster
Options

Mine did it within the week of buying it, just press and hold down the power and volume button for 10 seconds and it will force restart. 

0 Likes