Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I COMPLETELY restrict mobile data and Wi-Fi access to an app?

(Topic created on: 10-11-2021 04:59 PM)
j229
Apprentice
Options

Earlier I was using OnePlus where there is a possibility of COMPLETELY blocking internet access for any particular app. I am NOT talking about data usage in background. I could select a particular app -> restrict mobile data and/or wifi access. Also, there is an option to toggle background internet access.

Currently, I have Galaxy A50s with Android 10 (One UI 2.0). I have no way to completely block internet access for an app. There are a few options I found however, they all either require root or install VPN.

Why has Samsung removed such a native feature that is available in stock Android??

Am I missing something? Can anyone help me here?

Cheers!!

31 REPLIES 31
ouss
Apprentice
Options

Hello Tess, I know it's an old post but I'm using android 10 and this issue still hasn't been resolved, the two options u mentioned block apps from using data in the background, but the issue at hand is we need to block apps from using data in the foreground.. in stock android there's an option to disable apps from accessing the network even while the apps are running, the entire network access section has been removed from the samsung UI in settings.. in my case I need to disable a few offline games from using data because they load video ads and consume around 60 mb everytime i use the games, data plans in my country are very expensive and so i cannot afford to even play an offline game because of the ads.. in other cases, there are apps that consume a lot of data that still provide offline features, such as playing soundcloud music from the cache memory, i don't wanna have to disable data on the phone and stop receiving messages and email notifications, I just want to block access to soundcloud in order to play songs from my history which is already loaded in the soundcloud cache... There has to be some way to restore the network access functionality into the mobile data settings through a patch.. it doesn't make sense that samsung disabled it as it doesn't interfere with any of the ui changes or samsung functions.. the only reason i can think of as to why samsung removed this feature is telemetry, maybe you guys don't want anyone to block any samsung core app from accessing the internet.. in which case this is a huge red flag!

ouss
Apprentice
Options

Whitlock the data saver only restricts background usage, not foreground usage, I have data saver turned on 24/7, it doesn't block data access for apps, it blocks background usage only

ouss
Apprentice
Options

j229 read my reply to Tess's reply to this thread.. you're absolutely right this is an epic fail on Samsung's part

Utkarsh1
First Poster
Options

I also have the same concern. This is a very important feature and should be added ASAP.

Moonnstars
Student
Options

This is a serious issue! I have been hacked but i cannot do anything about it short of disabling the whole phone and it's almost brand new. It doesnt matter what i try, to the point of disabling and uninstalling by ADB commands, whatever hacked my phone has constant access to the network and evades my efforts.

Get this..... it doesnt even matter if my sim card is inserted, OR if I'm connected to my home wifi..... because the phone will continue using the network through Openroaming (which I had no idea even was a thing!), and also by turning on nfc, bluetooth, wifi direct, ect., however it can get a connection! 

If there is another phone in the area, it connects to it somehow, without any permissions! If i disable by home network, it'll connect to one of my neighbors!

Even when i have factory reset it, took out my sim card, only powered up long enough to disable wifi, bluetooth, nfc, all that stuff, ....the phone still continues to download updates that I can't even stop from who freaking knows where! 

Why has noone noticed this extremely serious privacy issue before now?! The only logical reason I can think of to take away access to the system files AND access to controlling whether your phone can connect to a network whether you want it to or not, is because that's exactly what their goal is while quietly hoping noone notices! 

If this isn't fixed on this device when i call my provider, screw it I dont even want a cell phone anymore because of what this has the potential to lead to!

Moonnstars
Student
Options

This is a serious issue! I have been hacked but i cannot do anything about it short of disabling the whole phone and it's almost brand new. It doesnt matter what i try, to the point of disabling and uninstalling by ADB commands, whatever hacked my phone has constant access to the network and evades my efforts.

Get this..... it doesnt even matter if my sim card is inserted, OR if I'm connected to my home wifi..... because the phone will continue using the network through Openroaming (which I had no idea even was a thing!), and also by turning on nfc, bluetooth, wifi direct, ect., however it can get a connection! 

If there is another phone in the area, it connects to it somehow, without any permissions! If i disable by home network, it'll connect to one of my neighbors!

Even when i have factory reset it, took out my sim card, only powered up long enough to disable wifi, bluetooth, nfc, all that stuff, ....the phone still continues to download updates that I can't even stop from who freaking knows where! 

Why has noone noticed this extremely serious privacy issue before now?! The only logical reason I can think of to take away access to the system files AND access to controlling whether your phone can connect to a network whether you want it to or not, is because that's exactly what their goal is while quietly hoping noone notices! 

If this isn't fixed on this device when i call my provider, screw it I dont even want a cell phone anymore because of what this has the potential to lead to!

Dr_Me
Journeyman
Options

huawei is the king of control, you can control anything and everything, block data or wifi, while using or background, sleeping apps, restricted , anything you can imagine and very easily, with Samsung the mobile control you, even if you want to restrict data from background apps you must do it for each app separately, loooong time ago too much consumers were complaining about the same problem, and Samsung now after many years still ha same problems.
Samsung when you will listen ?

A691
Apprentice
Options

Also, Xiaomi has this option. There are a lot of apps that I want to restrict their internet access. My galaxy note is rubbish without this option and I'm really mad!

0 Likes
A691
Apprentice
Options

I don't know what is the reason for removing this option but if the reason is helping app creators to earn money from their apps it's totally wrong!

If some apps need internet access to load their ads and send my private data over the internet they can show a popup and ask for internet access and I am the one who decides to have them or delete them rapidly!

Dr_Me
Journeyman
Options

you can't block data

can't block wifi

can't view the internet speed

can't block callers (with names only without numbers), like when you get an sms from "night store"

can't prevent an app from starting with phone power on

Alllll these features and more are available in huwawie.

i have get samsung galaxy note 20 ultra one month ago. i can't even take a photo for papers or close things or curved things or any writing, when i asked samsung about that they said its because the huge abilities of the camera, hahahahaha, imagine that, later i found the reason, it needs the focus enhancer which isn't available for note 20 ultra, what a disaster , what should I do with the phone now, only drain my data plane, and spend money for a new camera.