Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I COMPLETELY restrict mobile data and Wi-Fi access to an app?

(Topic created on: 23-10-2020 11:32 AM)
j229
Apprentice
Options

Earlier I was using OnePlus where there is a possibility of COMPLETELY blocking internet access for any particular app. I am NOT talking about data usage in background. I could select a particular app -> restrict mobile data and/or wifi access. Also, there is an option to toggle background internet access.

Currently, I have Galaxy A50s with Android 10 (One UI 2.0). I have no way to completely block internet access for an app. There are a few options I found however, they all either require root or install VPN.

Why has Samsung removed such a native feature that is available in stock Android??

Am I missing something? Can anyone help me here?

Cheers!!

31 REPLIES 31
Midtempo
First Poster
Options

This is one of the few downsides I have come across on the Galaxy S phones compared to the OnePlus phones.  You cannot restrict network permissions on a per-app basis like on the OnePlus.  However, Galaxy S phones have good waterproof ratings and the OnePlus phones still refuse to issue waterproofing ratings; and Galaxy phones are supposed to have better camera apps than OnePlus.  Pixel phones do not allow denying network permission on a per-app basis either.  So you gain some and you lose some.

0 Likes
jayraiya92
First Poster
Options

I'd say use apps like net blocker, most of the features on it are paid but it does the work, make sure you allow back ground usage.

0 Likes
vmumo
First Poster
Options

This issue is really frustrating. It's a deal-breaker. Bye Samsung.

Annoyed5
Apprentice
Options

Another issue on which samsung have decided to ignore complaints. This is a stock feature on all other Android phones and yet again, samsung in their infinite wisdom have decided to remove the feature. You're becoming more and more like Apple. Forcing us to do things your way rather than giving us choice. Android is about choice, not dictation. Stupidly, I've just bought a Fold 3, but it will be the last Samsung phone I buy. In 3 years time there will be plenty of tablet/phones available from other vendors and they won't have all these ridiculous restricitions that you insist on forcing upon us. Sick of your bloatware. Sick of your dictatorship. Do you even do any research on these features or your customers requirements before you remove and change them all?

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
That's exactly what is happening to me did you get any help
0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

This is a serious security risk. The fact that Samsung does not allow blocking network access is like turning off the firewall. Why they think this is okay is beyond me. The fact that this is a stock feature in Android that Samsung took out makes it even more questionable.

Dear Samsung community moderator, this does not look good on your part. Please reply to this thread if you care about your customers and explain what you are willing to do about this issue.

0 Likes
handrade
First Poster
Options

I will put my Samsung into the garbage soon, I am totally agree with you, I will try a different brand, maybe Xiaomi or Google Pixel or Asus.  It's a deal-breaker. Bye Samsung

0 Likes
handrade
First Poster
Options

Because is a Samsung marketing strategy, Samsung need sale a mobiles with the following rules:  1.- Apps installed have internet access. Why?.   Developers create more apps for Samsung Android   2.- Mobile data plan will be not enough for the customer. Why? : More operators sale Samsung mobiles.

Easy, no restrictions for apps, more data consuming, more big companies happy, no matter what think the costumer.

0 Likes
LutraCalluna
First Poster
Options
The way I went looking for a way to stop a specific third party app from serving me annoying ads that interrupt my workflow, and ended up finding out that Samsung is creepily enforcing Always Online because at the end of the day their device owners aren't their customers any more, the app vendors are. Horrible, thanks!
0 Likes
viteosen
First Poster
Options

I bought new Galaxy Ultra yesterday. And this is so frustrating to me, that there is no option to restrict app to access via mobile data. I was so happy yesterday, but today lack of this feature is killing me. Spend 2 hours to find out that "sorry you can't" - is the only answer from samsung.
How to solve this? Hey EU goverment, make a law, so this functionality must be present on every phone. THIS IS ESSENTIAL.