Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I COMPLETELY restrict mobile data and Wi-Fi access to an app?

(Topic created on: 23-10-2020 05:59 PM)
j229
Apprentice
Options

Earlier I was using OnePlus where there is a possibility of COMPLETELY blocking internet access for any particular app. I am NOT talking about data usage in background. I could select a particular app -> restrict mobile data and/or wifi access. Also, there is an option to toggle background internet access.

Currently, I have Galaxy A50s with Android 10 (One UI 2.0). I have no way to completely block internet access for an app. There are a few options I found however, they all either require root or install VPN.

Why has Samsung removed such a native feature that is available in stock Android??

Am I missing something? Can anyone help me here?

Cheers!!

31 REPLIES 31
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hey @j229 ,

In the Android settings for networks and Wi-Fi, tap on Data usage. Next, tap on Network access. Now you see a list with all your installed apps and checkmarks for their access to Mobile data and Wi-Fi. To block an app from accessing the internet, uncheck both boxes next to its name.

j229
Apprentice
Options

Hi Tess, thanks for your reply. 

There is no such option as Network Access in Data Usage. See the screencapture video here - https://youtu.be/aPxPnlKdpGs (apologies for thr bad video quality).

I have One UI 2.0, Android 10

TessM
Mastermind
Options

No need to apologise, @j229 . Let's try this: head into Settings> Connections> Data usage> Mobile data usage> Tap on the app> Turn both options (Allow background usage and Allow app while Data Saver on).

j229
Apprentice
Options

That's the problem. The option you suggested will still allow the app to use internet when I am using the app. To give you an example, let's say I am using calculator and it doesn't need internet access whatsoever or Notes or Gallery so that no data is synced anywhere in the cloud without my control. So I want to completely block that app from using internet. 

TessM
Mastermind
Options

Can I ask what app are you trying to block? Is this a default one? 

0 Likes
j229
Apprentice
Options

I want to block a couple of apps like default Notes and Gallery app and some other 3rd party apps too

TessM
Mastermind
Options

These two particular don't require a connection to work (they don't use data). In regards to third-party apps, these two settings should stop them from using data. 

0 Likes
kysulli
Apprentice
Options

If you have Bixby you can set up a routine to turn data off when you open specific apps. Seems to work reliably so far.

0 Likes
Whitlock
First Poster
Options

I have a runabout solution so bear with me. So in setting > apps (manager) > go to an important app > mobile data > check ONLY the bottom part, allowing it to function when data saver is on. Now do this for EVERY SINGLE VITAL APPS (such as Google, Email, etc) excluding the apps that you want it to stay offline. Then you just have to turn on data saver 24/7.

Also i agree with you, because It takes way too much time and effort just to do this, while my older phone can do it like 5 seconds to disable an app internet access