Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odyssey G7 menu button intermittently not working

(Topic created on: 23-12-2022 03:56 PM)
KEH93
Journeyman
Options

My #Samsung Odyssey G7 is around a year old, and recently it's been giving me problems

The main menu button on the back of the monitor sometimes, seemingly at random, fails to respond. Toggling the joystick left brings up the source menu, and down brings up volume. Left toggle does nothing, and the pressing the main menu button does not being up the menu.

Strangely, when scrolling through available sources, the directional buttons are inverted.

Holding down the menu button to put the monitor on standby (and get rid of the flashing light) also does nothing.

I have to pull the power cord instead, and this seems to reset the monitor and brings back menu functionality for a little while.

The sources that it uses are two HDMI sources (I have to swap cables when I want to use either device) and a Display Port source.

I am hoping to update the firmware to see if this fixes it, but as I am stuck on my work laptop (the Display Port input), I can't use a USB. Since I now can't switch source to my home PC without any kind of control, this will be an issue to update.

The button is not stuck, nor did it receive a bump or knock that may have broken it.

This is a real pain, and I'd rather not have to send my monitor (that I rely on for work and play) off for a few weeks/months if I can fix something on my end.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

43 REPLIES 43
AssaTM
First Poster
Options

Hi! I can confirm this works 100%, I had an issue not being able to select up on the menu, I didn't use a rubber hammer but I did push up on the button with force with my finger, as hard as I could with a hammering motion and then the button worked flawlessly after this, all options selectable and no inverted weirdness! - genuinely couldn't recommend this method enough to other people as bizarre as it sounds!

0 Likes
Pezzar
Explorer
Options

Hello there, yep same problem here.

Owned this monitor for a week (strangely the bloke I bought it off had just had it back from the Samsung workshop as his screen had failed). At first the menu (jog) button was fine - then 3 days ago it just won't come up now at all, so I can't adjust any settings at all.

Monitor works fine, but no light on the jog button, the screen can't be turned off unless by the power cord and although the jog button clicks, no OSD menu.  Looks like I'll be onto customer support on Tuesday - great.

0 Likes
Pezzar
Explorer
Options

Edit...update, so I now believe that whoever said this was an overheating issue is onto something. We are having below freezing conditions ATM, so I powered it down via the power cord last night before bed, got up this morning and the menu came up first time. I had to go to work then but we'll see what happens when I get back on it tonight. There is no way I am taking a mallet to that button 😁 anyway.  Further edit - got the OSD working long enough to upload the latest firmware (1014.1) and guess what? problem gone, everything working totally as it should and by the way Tomb Raider is gorgeous in HDR 👍

0 Likes
michael im
Student
Options

You are genius. I'm one of the Sams employee, 

but you made it.1

Pezzar
Explorer
Options

Ha Ha thanks - it's been faultless since and I love the monitor! 😀

0 Likes
ShakU_MakU
First Poster
Options

Perfect, i have the same problem.
Why is Samsung so bad? after multible reports from alot of people they dont even care!! they dont even Patch this worthless monitor. i gues its my first and last monitor from them. Bad quality monitor and Company

0 Likes
Pezzar
Explorer
Options

My issues were totally cured by uploading the latest firmware - it now works perfectly and the menu is fine and the monitor goes to sleep when it should and wakes back up when it should. I love this monitor. 

0 Likes
dahools
First Poster
Options

Discovered this issue today and it seems AssaTM's solution has worked for me to fix it for the moment. Manipulation the button rigourously up and in has seemed to bring it back to life hopefully trhis doesnt happen again. 

0 Likes
Pezzar
Explorer
Options

Have you checked which firmware version you are on? it could be a physical issue, but tbh if it is and coming from a manufacturing background, if you are having to 'force' anything physically - it's going to eventually break for good.

0 Likes
ashenveal
First Poster
Options

Oh my god, you are a legend. I had the same issue and I just gave it a sharp tap with a hammer and now it works fine again.

I honestly can't believe that worked.

0 Likes