Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hw-Q90R Bass makes a popping noise

(Topic created on: 06-10-2019 03:54 AM)
tindoe
Student
Options

I purchased a HW-Q90R wireless surround sound sound bar a couple months ago. Been working great except I notice that the past couple weeks the woofer has had a popping noise that will not go away, especially if there is a deep bass or if somebody is talking with a deep voice. I have tried adjusting the settings and it is tolerable if the bass is turned all the way down. I installed the smart things app and tried to update the firmware but it was already up to date. I am not sure what else to do?

105 REPLIES 105
Chico76
Explorer
Options

@Bachelor 

are you runing the bar and TV on 5ghz wifi? This can be a cause of 5ghz wifi connections. Try running it on 2.4ghz and see what happens.if it's stops than you are suffering from wifi interference as the bar transfers sound via 5.8ghz. 

see other comments on this thread. Please let us know, if it works. 

Cheers!!

0 Likes
Darkie_73
Journeyman
Options

This interference and the resulting pops and crackles seems to be different form user to user...some even reports poppings coming from the bar! There are some workarounds one can try in the previus pages but still the problem  can return. Can someone spend well over a grand only to find himself endlessly tinkering with routers,channels,bandwidth,positioning to get a few hours of decent sound? This HT , the top tier one from Samsung, is supposed to work out of the box, adapting himself to the wireless network is connecte with. Or at least PLEASE SAMSUNG if some engineer is reading here make a setting to choose the connecting "patterns" in the system menu.

Bachelor
First Poster
Options

@Chico76 wrote:

@Bachelor 

are you runing the bar and TV on 5ghz wifi? This can be a cause of 5ghz wifi connections. Try running it on 2.4ghz and see what happens.if it's stops than you are suffering from wifi interference as the bar transfers sound via 5.8ghz. 

see other comments on this thread. Please let us know, if it works. 

Cheers!!

The bar has been running on 2.4ghz until today. The TV has always been running on 5ghz. I got a popup message on my TV today saying that the wifi bandwidth (or something) on the TV and soundbar didn't match, so it changed the soundbar to 5ghz by itself. My wifi is combined 2.4ghz and 5ghz so how do I choose which one they use? Using Google wifi if that matters. And why does wifi matter when I'm just watching through HDMI? Sorry for being confused 😅

0 Likes
skingg
Student
Options

@Bachelor wrote:

The bar has been running on 2.4ghz until today. The TV has always been running on 5ghz. I got a popup message on my TV today saying that the wifi bandwidth (or something) on the TV and soundbar didn't match, so it changed the soundbar to 5ghz by itself. My wifi is combined 2.4ghz and 5ghz so how do I choose which one they use? Using Google wifi if that matters. And why does wifi matter when I'm just watching through HDMI? Sorry for being confused 😅

Your issue seems pretty similar to mine. Wifi matters because despite connecting your soundbar to your tv via HDMI, your bar technically is still actively 'connected' to your wifi network and any interference that causes those random pops/crackles seems to be caused by activity from other devices nearby connected to the same network. 

Have you tried the solution I posted on the previous page? Basically from my experiences and from what I gathered:

1. If your soundbar is connected to the 5GHz frequency, you are suppose to set and fix your 5GHz frequency range to channel 48 in your router to minimize or fix your interference issues. Then again this solution are mostly for those with the pop/crackle issues from the sub-woofers instead of the bar itself.

2. I use a wifi-analyzer app on my phone to check my connection with my neighbors and as I'm only  using 2.4GHz wifi router, for my case  channel 11 seemed to work best for me (less traffic).

3. Place all phones or any devices connected to the wifi network a couple of feet further away from the soundbar when using it.

4. This may or may not be relevant, but in addition to the above, powering up the speakers/bar in the following order: sub-woofer > rears > soundbar seemed to fix those random interference/crackle issue coming from the bar (atleast for the past week for me).

0 Likes
Bachelor
First Poster
Options

@skingg wrote:

@Bachelor wrote:

Your issue seems pretty similar to mine. Wifi matters because despite connecting your soundbar to your tv via HDMI, your bar technically is still actively 'connected' to your wifi network and any interference that causes those random pops/crackles seems to be caused by activity from other devices nearby connected to the same network. 

Have you tried the solution I posted on the previous page? Basically from my experiences and from what I gathered:

1. If your soundbar is connected to the 5GHz frequency, you are suppose to set and fix your 5GHz frequency range to channel 48 in your router to minimize or fix your interference issues. Then again this solution are mostly for those with the pop/crackle issues from the sub-woofers instead of the bar itself.

2. I use a wifi-analyzer app on my phone to check my connection with my neighbors and as I'm only  using 2.4GHz wifi router, for my case  channel 11 seemed to work best for me (less traffic).

3. Place all phones or any devices connected to the wifi network a couple of feet further away from the soundbar when using it.

4. This may or may not be relevant, but in addition to the above, powering up the speakers/bar in the following order: sub-woofer > rears > soundbar seemed to fix those random interference/crackle issue coming from the bar (atleast for the past week for me).

I don't think there is any way to change the frequency range on Google wifi? With number 4, you mean I should unplug them from the outlets and plug them back in in that exact order? One thing I've also noticed, for some reason the crackling is non existent when listening to music, but when I watch The Punisher with Atmos on Netflix for example, it's back

0 Likes
Chico76
Explorer
Options

@Bachelor 

Even do you are hooked up via HDMI, the interface on the sound system is connected to the wifi. All the traffic creates the issues with your system. I am also running the google wifi and unfortunately, we are not able to change frequencies and/or channels. this is annoying and feel your pain. 

what I did with my system is hardwire all my tv, computers and other consoles. This way the traffic on 5ghz wifi is minimized. My mesh point is close to my q90r and I put that on a smart plug, this way I can turn it off and enjoy a good sound. Unfortunately, my mesh point can't be move as this spot optimizes my wifi perfect. 

hope this helps!! Samsung sucks as this can be easily patch with an update. They did this with the issue with the rear speakers. At the beginning people were complaining about tears cracking as well. Other people say that the system is easy to blow, but they never knew that the cracking was frim traffic interference. They got new systems and guess what? Those new units did the same *****!! Lol

cheers!!

0 Likes
Bachelor
First Poster
Options

@Chico76 wrote:

@Bachelor 

Even do you are hooked up via HDMI, the interface on the sound system is connected to the wifi. All the traffic creates the issues with your system. I am also running the google wifi and unfortunately, we are not able to change frequencies and/or channels. this is annoying and feel your pain. 

what I did with my system is hardwire all my tv, computers and other consoles. This way the traffic on 5ghz wifi is minimized. My mesh point is close to my q90r and I put that on a smart plug, this way I can turn it off and enjoy a good sound. Unfortunately, my mesh point can't be move as this spot optimizes my wifi perfect. 

hope this helps!! Samsung sucks as this can be easily patch with an update. They did this with the issue with the rear speakers. At the beginning people were complaining about tears cracking as well. Other people say that the system is easy to blow, but they never knew that the cracking was frim traffic interference. They got new systems and guess what? Those new units did the same *****!! Lol

cheers!!

Unfortunately I don't have the possibility to hardwire everything since I don't really have any data outlets in the room. The only things I have in the room using WiFi is the TV, soundbar and an Xbox One S. I have also moved the mesh point so far away that I keep getting messages saying "WiFi Disconnected" followed by a "WiFi Connected" on the soundbar display. But the crackle is still there. I feel like I can't just unplug it (the mesh) either 'cause I don't think I'll have a good enough signal to stream content if I do.

0 Likes
Bachelor
First Poster
Options

Unplugged the mesh point completely now and put on a blu-ray movie, since that doesn't require any internet connection. No difference. Same crackling as before.

0 Likes
Chico76
Explorer
Options

@Bachelor 

Question, is your model a Q90r model? 

second, when you removed the mesh. Was your tv on wifi and console? Where you on the phone? Any traffic on 5ghz will cause this. 

third, have you tried a different HDMI Cable?

0 Likes
Bachelor
First Poster
Options

@Chico76 wrote:

@Bachelor 

Question, is your model a Q90r model? 

second, when you removed the mesh. Was your tv on wifi and console? Where you on the phone? Any traffic on 5ghz will cause this. 

third, have you tried a different HDMI Cable?

0 Likes