Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hw-Q90R Bass makes a popping noise

(Topic created on: 06-10-2019 03:54 AM)
tindoe
Student
Options

I purchased a HW-Q90R wireless surround sound sound bar a couple months ago. Been working great except I notice that the past couple weeks the woofer has had a popping noise that will not go away, especially if there is a deep bass or if somebody is talking with a deep voice. I have tried adjusting the settings and it is tolerable if the bass is turned all the way down. I installed the smart things app and tried to update the firmware but it was already up to date. I am not sure what else to do?

104 REPLIES 104
skingg
Student
Options

@Bachelor

In regards to number 4, that is correct. Unplugging term all and plugging/powering them back in that exact order to see if it helps.

On a different note, does anyone have any issues with Bluetooth connection to the soundbar? I seem to have latency issues with lips/video playback not in sync with the audio when I'm playing any video off YouTube for example. 

0 Likes
Bryonclough
First Poster
Options

I'm just now reading this input after purchasing TWO q90r's.

im planning on hardwiring the soundbar and TV (I stream from the TV).

i don't have the ability to change to 2.4 and my router will be 8 feet away from my subwoofer. 

Do I keep the two I purchased, or return them to avoid the headaches??

0 Likes
Gil80
Pioneer
Options

Do you own Samsung TV's? If not, just return them.

I recommend the Nakamichi 9.2.4 soundbar.

If you have LG TV's go for their 7.1.4 SN11RG soundbar.

They all have more outputs and support Google home, unlike Samsung. I also believe they'll get many more years of support than what Samsung provides via firmware updates. 

The Q90R is already old news in the eyes of Samsung and you'll most likely won't get any more updates or meaningful changes with this soundbar.

So much untapped potential with this great hardware but very crippled software.

0 Likes
Bryonclough
First Poster
Options

Thanks for your input.

I purchased the 2020 q80t and the soundbars were $999 each (recent sale).

0 Likes
Bryonclough
First Poster
Options

To add, I liked the wireless availability of the subwoofer and rear speakers; however, I think I'm hesistant to read about all the interference ESPECIALLY if I'm gonna have two of these in my house!

0 Likes
Gil80
Pioneer
Options

The soundbar will work well with your Samsung TV's, just don't expect much in terms of features from the soundbar. I was surprised by how limited it is, but in terms of audio quality, you'd enjoy them.

One major complaint by many users is the low volume of rear speakers. I don't know if this is common with all soundbars with rear speakers or it's an issue with this one.

Again, the hardware is great... it's just limited by the accompanying app.

0 Likes
Bryonclough
First Poster
Options

Thanks. Will there be limitations in Atmos with the Nakamichi soundbars using things like Netflix, etc. like I am reading with the q90r even with eARC?

0 Likes
Gil80
Pioneer
Options

There shouldn't be Atmos limitation by Nakamichi, however, I don't own them. I only read and watched reviews on them.

Atmos is a bit complicated thing to get right, so set your expectation accordingly.

Some factors to consider:

1. For Atmos to work, the app (Netflix or whomever) needs some way to know which devices you're playing content from. So even if you have a capable Atmos device, Netflix needs to add this device to their list in order to enable Atmos on it.

This is true for Nvidia Shield, Apple TV, Soundbars, TV's etc.,

In the case of this soundbar, it will recognize it as Atmos enabled and you'll see the Atmos logo in titles that were mastered with Atmos.

2. Any streaming application will always send lossy Atmos. That is not the full bandwidth and quality as lossless Atmos which can only be achieved by lossless blu-ray content. Note: Not all blu-ray content delivers lossless content, but most likely you'll get better Atmos quality from blu-ray content.

3. If your media player is connected directly to the HDMI port on your TV, then your TV must have an eARC HDMI port which should be connected to the eARC of the soundbar. Note: You must update the soundbar to enable its eARC capability.

If you connect your media player to the soundbar, eARC doesn't matter in this case. However, always connect the soundbar and TV via ARC/eARC ports.

Updating all the soundbar components is not a straight forward approach. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixLsye_l9Ds

4. Speaker positioning is crucial. To get the overhead sound effects, it really matters how you position the speakers in relation to where you sit. You need to experiment with them.

Google "Dolby atmos test files" or something like this. You should find a file that can play sound on each individual speaker. This will allow you to figure out how to position the rear speakers to get the overhead effect of Atmos.

Sirlancelot
Apprentice
Options

From my own experience with my q90r unit, I have pinpointed the subwoofer popping/crackle noise to be attributed to WiFi interference. I have the Orbi mesh system and at first I tried to turn off my 5Ghz to see if it that does the trick but the noise persisted. Only through more research, I found the issue to be the wireless backhaul the orbi uses to commute between the router and its sattelite. Mine was using channel 161 ish which is very close to channel 165 (5.8 ghz) which the q90r uses for connecting the subwoofer to the bar. After forcing my orbi to default to channel 100 for its backhaul, I have not had any pop or crackle from the subwoofer since. Hopefully this helps someone whos having the same issue. 

Shayed1Nupe
Student
Options

So i bought my system back in December. I could crank it up all the way with NO problem. Then started to notice the popping and cracking and it kept getting worse. I have 5ghz wifi through century link and im also using the dlink velop system to expand my signal. This weekend was the last straw for me. I used to love my living room now I hardly watch TV in there because of the horrible sound. I dont know why i didnt get the Geek Squad protection.  Honestly, I was online looking into the wireless reference line for Klipsch when i ran across this support community.  I'm super excited to get home and try these fixes because i am at the point where I'm willing to trash this $1700 piece of equipment in favor of something that will perform day in and day out. I have Klipsch in my game room and my theater. I have NEVER had any issue with connectivity or sound. I chose to go with samsung in my living room becasue i didnt want wires all over the place nor did i want to spend the cash to run wires through the walls. This was the perfect solution for about a month.  Please o please let this work so i can love my living room again!  

0 Likes