Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

How to connect Q90R for Atmos?

(Topic created on: 09-04-2019 02:43 PM)
willzyx
Student
Options

Hello peeps. 

I'm new to 4k and Dolby Atmos and anything TV related (my previous TV was over 9 years old). I understand that QLED TVs don't support Atmos or Vision, but I'm planning to use the Q90R as a panel only. I will watch most of my stuff with Apple TV 4K, Xbox One X and Chromecast Ultra. I will skip all TV built-in apps. I understand that hardware listed above do actually support Atmos and Vision. I'm planning to get an Atmos capable soundbar. 

Is there anyway to connect all the gear to actually get Dolby Atmos and Vision? Do I have to connect them directly to the soundbar and then route it to OneConnect Box? 

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
AntS
Options

Hi @willzyx:smiling-face:

One of my AV tech colleagues saw your post, and asked us to pass this on:

"The Q90 does support Dolby Atmos encoded Dolby Digital Plus signals, and is able to receive them from native apps or by HDMI, and is able to send to a Dolby Atmos capable soundbar via HDMI-ARC. In the UK, Netflix and Amazon apps on the TV support Dolby Digital Plus encoded with Dolby Atmos Metadata soundtracks where the content supports it.

The TV can't display Dolby Vision, but is compatible with HDR 10+, so the same functionality can be achieved by connecting the external devices directly to the TV, and feeding a Dolby Atmos capable soundbar via HDMI-ARC.

However, regarding Dolby TrueHD, you'll need to check if the connected devices can output DolbyTrueHD encoded with Dolby Atmos Metadata (e.g. UHD Blue-ray playback). As the TV does not support Dolby TrueHD, to enjoy that format, the devices will need to be connected directly to a compatible soundbar and the video signal 'passed through' to the TV."

Other members of the Community are welcome to add their own advice and experience, but I hope that helps you out! 

View solution in context

48 REPLIES 48
Solution
AntS
Options

"The Q90 does support Dolby Atmos encoded Dolby Digital Plus signals, and is able to receive them from native apps or by HDMI, and is able to send to a Dolby Atmos capable soundbar via HDMI-ARC. In the UK, Netflix and Amazon apps on the TV support Dolby Digital Plus encoded with Dolby Atmos Metadata soundtracks where the content supports it.

The TV can't display Dolby Vision, but is compatible with HDR 10+, so the same functionality can be achieved by connecting the external devices directly to the TV, and feeding a Dolby Atmos capable soundbar via HDMI-ARC.

However, regarding Dolby TrueHD, you'll need to check if the connected devices can output DolbyTrueHD encoded with Dolby Atmos Metadata (e.g. UHD Blue-ray playback). As the TV does not support Dolby TrueHD, to enjoy that format, the devices will need to be connected directly to a compatible soundbar and the video signal 'passed through' to the TV."

Other members of the Community are welcome to add their own advice and experience, but I hope that helps you out! 

willzyx
Student
Options

@AntS wrote:

Thank you, it does help.

So to summarize to see if I understand correctly, Q90R is capable of doing Atmos through a Atmos capable soundbar.

However, the TV is not capable of showing Dolby Vision, so I'm out of luck on that one, even with a Vision capable source device, like Apple TV 4K? But it does support HDR10+, which is supported on Prime Video, yes? 

Thanks. 

0 Likes
AntS
Options

Cool - and no worries!  :smiling-face-with-sunglasses::thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

And yes, my understanding of the situation is that you'd be correct in that summary.

0 Likes
Leet2274
Pioneer
Options

Netlfix app on samsung tvs doesnt give dolby atmos sound.. And from reading all the complaints on here i doubt it ever will...

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Leet2274 wrote:

Netlfix app on samsung tvs doesnt give dolby atmos sound.. And from reading all the complaints on here i doubt it ever will...

No DTS, poor customer service, dimming issues. I was a Samsung, JS, KS, and even the 8 K q900r. All went back. Non could do scheduled recording, the KS was the best. The 8k was just to bright that the pictures were odd and subtitles blinded you, then the screen went funny like a brick had been thrown at it. Got a LG C8 and very happy. It records, DTS, and Netflix Atmos pass through and a brilliant picture. 

0 Likes
brettautrey
Pioneer
Options

@AntS wrote:

It sounds like what your av friend is saying is that the full bandwidth Atmos is not being sent and that the limited bandwidth DD+ is being sent via ARC. Does anyone know if this is fixed when using eARC and didn't Samsung provide firmware update to enable eARC?

0 Likes
brettautrey
Pioneer
Options
@Leet2274, I am currently watching the native Netflix app with a Atmos audio show. The soundbar is displaying Atmos and the sound is definitely awesome. I have Q90 TV with the Q90 soundbar with HDMI/ARC connection.
0 Likes
brettautrey
Pioneer
Options
@paul1277, similar to my other response just prior to this one, I am receiving DTS:X on my q90 soundbar. It displays this on the LED. I think in this instance I only had a Blu-ray 4K video with DTS:X so I had to run HDMI directly to my soundbar.
0 Likes
Leet2274
Pioneer
Options
So are you saying the netflix app on the q90r tv shows all netlfix content with atmos (ie it says ATMOS) on screen when you select a netflix show?

Or are you watching netflix from another device (not the tv)
0 Likes