Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung QN900B eARC problem with Denon AVC-X4800

(Topic created on: 06-07-2023 08:49 AM)
Vigier
First Poster
Options

Hi,

Just started using Samsung QN900B 8K TV and Denon AVC-X4800. Both are great products but I can't make eARC work. There are continuous audio dropouts both with TV programs and streaming apps when using Dolby Surround or Dolby Atmos. Only two channel PCM audio works with eARC. Samsung support re-installed TV's firmware and replaced main board of One Connect Box but it didn't help. Denon support re-installed latest firmware on AVC-X4800  and replaced HDMI card but it didn't help either. Both Samsung and Denon said that this was all they could do to solve the issue. 5 different HDMI cables were tested, certified and non-certified but it did not help. Also several different combinations of settings have been tested.

When reporting findings back to Samsung, they said that there is a possibility for incompatibility like this between Samsung and third party products. Before returning TV and receiver and trying some other products it would be nice hear from other users of Samsung-Denon product combination if you have experienced similar incompatibility issues and managed to solve them.  Also information about known working product combinations are highly appreciated when it comes to eARC between 8K TV and AVR.  Thank you in advance for your feedback!

28 REPLIES 28
ThunderstormX
First Poster
Options

I have been having major issues too with the sound on my Samsung QN90B. Even using Samsungs own q-symphony soundbar with it the audio works fine for a few days, then get sound pops, audio completely goes out of sync and sounds distorted and keeps dropping out. I tried setting up a couple of apple HomePods which got audio from an AppleTV box via eARC, sound worked great for a few days then the issues just randomly came back - nothing fixed it, turning it all off and on / resetting etc. I think it’s an issue with the eARC handshake on these TV’s to be honest.

I returned an Xbox series X due to this as I thought I was faulty as only had sound issues with that originally, then got issues with everything so I realised later it was actually the TV at fault. 

In the end I just connected an old Bose soundbar that doesn’t have a HDMI connection, connected via optical cable and not had any sound issues since. It’s a bit annoying knowing I spent so much on this TV and it just won’t play nicely with modern sound systems via eARC. 

Next time I’ll definitely buy a different TV model but for now it gets me through.. 

0 Likes
cortex_shield
Apprentice
Options

I have the exact same issue with a QN900C 8K 2023. @Vigier , did you find a compatible AVR? It seems AVR manufacturers often use the same HDMI chipset (Denon, Marantz, Yamaha), and I guess they will all suffer the same issue.

0 Likes
Members_8LnTyRd
First Poster
Options

I have recently purchased the 2023 Samsung QE65QN900C tv. Right from the initial set up, when the Connected Source is set to 'TV' or some of the apps, like Disney+, the sound cuts out through my Denon AVC-X4800H 8K Amplifier every few seconds.

However, if I set the Connected Source to 'External Device', which is my Denon Amplifier, there are no sound drop outs to my connected devices, like Sky Q and my Blu Ray Player.

I have a 1.5m AudioQuest Pearl 48 HDMI Cable which is connected to/from the eArc ports from the one connect box to the Denon Amplifier. I have tried changing the HDMI lead, resetting the sound, turning the power on/off, turning Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) on/off, but the same issue continues.

The sound settings on my tv are as follows:
HDMI-eARC Mode is set to Auto and the Digital Output Audio Format is set to Auto.

On reading the E-MANUAL, it states there are 2 options for the Digital Output Audio Format, these are Auto and Pass-through.
However, I have 3 options on my tv, these are PCM, Auto and Pass-through but Pass-through is disabled.

I can resolve the issue if I the HDMI-eARC Mode to 'Off' with the Digital Output Audio Format set to Auto, and then I can receive DD+ + DSurr om my amplifier for the tv signal and Dolby Atmos for the Disney+ app.

I can also resolve the sound cuts outs by setting the HDMI-eARC Mode to Auto and the Digital Output Audio Format to PCM.
The issue I then have is I then lose DD+ + DSurr for the tv sound and there is no Dolby Atmos for the Disney+ app.

I have raised this issue with the Samsung technical support team, who have informed me that the tv is working correctly which I found quite staggering. I even provided a 15 second video of the sound cutting out, which was also dismissed by the Samsung technical support team.

I am currently running software version 1220.8 and the software on my Denon Amplifier is up to date as well.

0 Likes
cortex_shield
Apprentice
Options

To add fuel to the fire, it appears that Yamaha 8K AVR is also affectedYamaha a4a earc issue : r/hometheater (reddit.com) (see the comment of u/Affectionate-Stay430).

0 Likes
fondest_0o
First Poster
Options

So I own the “other” Korean brand that makes good TVs. The problem is not with Samsung. It’s with the receivers. They are not properly handshaking with the TVs via eARC. It’s likely a firmware problem. In my case I also own the Denon X4800H and experience the dropouts with HD audio. My older Denon does not have these issues. 

0 Likes
cortex_shield
Apprentice
Options

@fondest_0o  Thank you for this enlightenment; it seems that AVR manufacturers are still plagued by HDMI issues even with their new AVR generations. I bought the X4800H to be sure that it will not be affected by the HDMI 2.1 bug that hit all majors AVR brands back in 2020. But now, that the video is fixed, there is issues with audio 😞

0 Likes
fondest_0o
First Poster
Options

It’s absolutely crazy that they can’t get this stuff right. I have no idea how they do their compatibility testing, but it sure isn’t with actual hardware. In 2017 Denon had very similar issues with their entire XX400H series. It took years for a workaround to be found and I think most still don’t know it. Using the automated setup assistant on that series breaks eARC. If you bypass it, eARC works. I’m going to try to do the same thing on the X4800H and see if I can eliminate the dropouts. 

0 Likes
Members_jOHmi55
First Poster
Options

I have the problem with a GQ65Q95TGGTXZG. It is possible to activate pass-through if after the start. The TV is finding ATMOS receivers.

But if you start a film. The TV switches to automatic and it seems that it tries connections between PCM and bitstream every few seconds.

During that switching there is no sound!

It occurs with Denon AVC X4800H and with Yamaha YSP5600!

Samsung service checked without any solution. They told me that this is effect completely unknown to them! :(.

Samsung: "It should be an issue an issue with the receivers!"

I tried the same configurations with a LG OLED48cx8lc and everything worked!

I hope that the Samsung problem will be solved by an update very soon.

0 Likes
Members_eKHatDP
First Poster
Options

I don't know if this helps anyone but if you go to 'all settings'->'sound'->'expert' then there's an option for 'simultaneous optical output' unchecked this and set to 'passthrough' as opposed to 'Auto' hopefully you won't have the sound dropouts any more on earc.

Samsung Q95B with X4800.