Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The receiver does not turn on when I turn on the TV

(Topic created on: 01-08-2020 02:39 AM)
DanielDias
Journeyman
Options

Hi,

I just bought a Q900 8k 75” (QN75Q900RBGXZD) to replace an old (2014) Samsung TV and there are a few annoying things that doesn’t work on this model that used to work on the old model.

One of these things is related to the Anynet+.

I have my TV connected to a Yamaha receiver RX-A1060. With the old TV I was able to turn on the receiver when I turned on the TV using the TV remote control (just clicking the TV turn on button it also turned on the receiver) and turning off the TV the receiver also turned off.

With the Q900, when I turn on the TV the receiver doesn’t turn on. I need to use the receiver remote control. I can see that every time I turn on the TV, the TV Speakers is set as default audio output. If I change it to Receiver (HDMI) the receiver turn on.

The turn off is working: when I turn the TV off, the receiver aldo turn off.

My question is: Is there any configuration I couldn’t find the enable the feature to turn the receiver on when I turn the TV on? Or is there any way to set the Receiver (HDMI) as default audio output even when the TV is restarted?

Thanks.

Daniel

132 REPLIES 132
Options

Thanks for the information. Recently changed to a rxv 679 with my samsung tv and the receiver would not turn back on with the tv.

This thread helped me troubleshoot it, I just went to the samsung anynet menu, turned CEC off, then back on, then changed the audio sound choice back to receiver and now it works(turns on WITH the tv) as I wanted.

0 Likes
TV62
Apprentice
Options

maybe you can share soke screens?

0 Likes
Options

I hoped it was permanent but it isn't, it occasionally does revert back and force me to do the procedure again, but the only other way I've found to get the receiver working most of the time is to use the tv as the hub and use the hdmi arc slot as a cable ONLY going to receiver and not attaching anything to it using the Tvs other hdmi slots for your other devices instead of the receivers slots. But that means you cant use the receiver as anything but a speaker box, limiting its other features. Ordering some 8k cables to see if that helps cec not do that, will update if it works.workaroundworkaroundProcedure Step 1Procedure Step 1Procedure Step 2Procedure Step 2 Procedure Step 3Procedure Step 3

0 Likes
Fubaar
Journeyman
Options

No cable will help, trust me, I tried 8-10 cables from cheap ones to very expensive 8k ones, same deal.

Works once or twice, then stops. It's totally random.

0 Likes
Hokem
Student
Options

I have the answer folks, well as long as you have a Denon AVR! I have a Samsung Q80T and a Denon AVRX2700H, I too was frustrated with the TV switching off the AVR but not switching the AVR on. After hours and hours of tweaking the TV and AVR settings I got it working, no need to reset the units! My previous Onkyo AVR was turned on by the Samsung TV but not the Denon until I did this.....

Turn on the Denon's SMART MENU It will appear when the TV switches on, simply close it and all is good! It's strange but works for me! Let me know if this fixes it for others here.

Pdav
First Poster
Options

Hi Hokem. I'm very interested as I have exact same setup. When you say 'close the Smart Menu', do you mean turn off the feature, or just choose it once? Thanks

0 Likes
Hokem
Student
Options

Pdav... Obviously ensure you have HDMI control enabled on the Denon and Anynet+ HDMI control on the Samsung TV. Select (enable) the Smart Menu option in the Denon settings. Then switch off the TV and AVR, pull TV plug out for a few seconds (not AVR plug) and plug it back in. Turn TV on. When the TV (hopefully) switches on the 2700 AVR the Smart Menu will appear on the screen after a few seconds showing 4 sections including source, sound settings... simply close the Smart Menu or select source section of it with your TV or AVR remote. Let me know if this works for you. It bugged the heck out of me, I spent ages on this and can't seem to get the TV to switch on the AVR unless Smart Menu is enabled. It's not easy being an OCD Tech Geek but hey we all want the best performance which is no bad thing! 🙂

Outdoorsman
Apprentice
Options

So I had the same problem as others have described with my new Samsung UN75TU8000 and Yamaha RX-A1050.  The receiver has been connected successfully via HDMI-CEC to my previous TV with full ARC capability.  The Samsung remote would not turn on my receiver, although it did turn OFF with the TV remote.  Each time starting the TV I would need to manually select the sound output to Receiver (HDMI) and this DID automatically turn on the receiver and output to the surround speakers so it is clearly connected with eARC capability.  I consider myself to be loyal to Samsung and gave them the benefit of the doubt.  After hours of chat and research I didn't dig up anything helpful and I was disappointed that there was not a fix but also that Samsung has not responded or even acknowledge the problem to it's community.  I have solved the problem relatively easily.  I exchanged the TV for an LG.  The LG 75UN7370 which I consider to be in the same class connected automatically to my Yamaha receiver and even recognized the model number of my equipment.  Within minutes of set-up It is working seamlessly.  I don't say this to gloat, I will miss my Samsung but I want to say that the HDMI-CEC compatibility issue with Yamaha receiver IS a Samsung problem and their failure to acknowledge and fix this issue will cost them customer loyalty.  

Fubaar
Journeyman
Options

Yeah, it's a shame really, I will probably move to LG as well.

Too bad, as Samsung is a good TV but if it doesn't play well with others then it has no future.
Funny thing is this probably could be solved really easy by their devs if they would actually care about it.

0 Likes
DevrimB
First Poster
Options

Thank for advices, i ve a q70t and denon x4200 setup.. i ve been reading eveything to not to power on denon with tv, as you wrote before , i disabled smart menu option from denon’s hdmi menu.. and it started not to power on with tv but power off with tv.. then i checked and enabled smart menu, it powered on again.. it s working, try it:) thanks again:)

0 Likes