Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart TV does not have enough space to install software update, but the only apps I have are ones Samsung pre-installed

(Topic created on: 10-02-2021 06:37 PM)
Trudie98
First Poster
Options

Have tried 3 different methods of contacting Samsung but it seems no customer service is available right now, so here goes. The problem is simple: I have insufficient storage space so cannot install my TV's software update. Here's the thing though, I have deleted all the apps I possibly can. I only had 3 that I installed, so got rid of them. Now I'm left with the bloatware (apps that came already installed and that cannot be deleted or disabled). The option to delete is greyed out. The update requires over  100MB, I have 93.96MB available. 

What I've tried: Reinstalling the preinstalled apps to reset their data/cache, and making sure anything I've installed is deleted.

I have no idea what to do now. I should note that I find it absolutely ridiculous that I'm in this situation to begin with. After buying a product I should have more control over what is taking up precious space on it. I understand the financial appeal of bloatware but this is a headache.

Any help would be very appreciated

34 REPLIES 34
Morrit
First Poster
Options

I'm currently in a battle with Curry's to show that my TV which has the same issues, is a manufacturers flaw  and, under the CRA 2015, they must replace it.

The sheer number of Samsung televisions made in 2017/18 that have had this issue is overwhelming.

Originally, Curry's offered me £180 as a refund, based on the length of time I have had it, from a £700 TV less than 4 years old! I'll go all the way to court if I have to and get the courts to supoeana repair documents from Currys and Samsung if needs be... Its a bit of a scandal tbh. 

0 Likes
Andi_Ireland
Apprentice
Options

Fair play for even getting an offer and good luck going forward, Curry's here have just blanked me

0 Likes
Morrit
First Poster
Options

If your TV is less than 6 years old, the warranty still applies. That's the legal limit set by the courts. Be persistent, mention Consumer Rights Act 2015. Specifically, s20. 

0 Likes
Leonardo O
Explorer
Options

Did you enter with a new account on the same TV?. maybe it will work

0 Likes
Leonardo O
Explorer
Options

Did you try with a new samsung account?

0 Likes
Logan Wiebe
First Poster
Options

Factory resetting the TV is only a temporary fix. I’ve done multiple experiments on the Samsung tv memory issue. Same thing happened every time. My tv would max it’s self out with bloat ware and completely bog the tv down. Even with a factory reset now, my tv is showing a “whopping” 700 MB’s for total available storage space. This TV is only 3 years old 

Rivereyes
First Poster
Options

I'm posting what worked for me through blind luck : I have a Series 6 65'' Samsung SmartTV from 2017. Same problem, 814Mb's of total storage, all of which was 'magically' taken up after I installed three additional apps (HBO, Disney and Player.pl). Resetting Smart Hub did nothing.

So I gave up and inserted a USB stick, proceeded to manually uninstall Disney, HBO and Player.pl. Then I re-installed Disney on the stick. As soon as I did that, my TV's storage 'magically' went down to 531Mb's and I got back a whopping 31% of storage space. 

I was then able to reinstall HBO and Player.pl, directly to the TV. I was not even prompted whether I wanted to use an external device or not. Hopefully this helps any of you that are struggling. 

0 Likes
CC2212
First Poster
Options

I scheduled a call with Samsung Support via the tv support option. They called me back and told me for the m series tvs, there is a software update that needs to be done and it can only be via USB. They emailed the link, I downloaded the file and copied to a USB. Inserted the USB to the tv and did the software update (Settings>Support>Software Update> Update by USB option. I had version 1290, after the update, it is version 1299. It helped!

Bantherewind
First Poster
Options

There appears to be some issue where memory never clears off the TV, even with full reset / Hub reset. We ended up buying a Roku and just use that. Still a great display, but too bad we can't use the built-in hub.

0 Likes
Leonardo O
Explorer
Options

This is a "Neverending Story" ..... Samsung has "Gone with the wind" with this issue.  Every SMARTV will "Die Hard" with no solution. I feel like "Matrix" ending "Terminator" with the brand.

0 Likes