Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung TV - no network cable detected

(Topic created on: 25-05-2023 12:21 PM)
Ismailk
First Poster
Options

I am trying to connect my Samsung TV to the internet using a network cable. The wireless option works 100%. However I want to connect using the cable.

I plug the cable in and the light does go on at the tip of the CAT 6 cable but when I connect it says

"No network cable detected. To connect to your wired network, insert a network cable into the TV".

I have placed a laptop right next to the TV and connected the same network cable to the laptop and there areno issues. Also works 100%.

I have reset the settings , been through a software upgrade as well.

What else can I try?

Model: UA55M6000

Software version : T-KTSUABC-1280.5

44 REPLIES 44
sirthommo
First Poster
Options

I have a QE65S95BATXXU and I recently just got this problem. 

I've never had this issue before and the TV was directly playing video files off my NAS and it's been working since August 2022... but last night after turning on the TV, it stopped connecting. 

• I switched network cables, No luck
  • Tried a different network port, no luck.
  • I held the power button down for 5 seconds to cold reboot, no luck.
  • Tested the cable and network ports with a laptop, works fine. So I know there's no issues with the cable or ports.
  • I powered the TV off at the mains for 5+ minutes, booted it, this time, got a Wired Network Connection Failed screen. 

OK. So now, I got something different, I can work with this. It had an additional error show up that it could not automatically assign network settings and there was a configure button.

I used this option to manually set the IP address of the TV instead of letting DHCP assign an IP. Set the gateway, set the DNS to google's 8.8.8.8 and voila. It connected. 

So for whatever reason, the network card decided that it didn't want to be configured automatically by the router, then stopped the network cable from working and only a full power cycle worked for me. 

0 Likes
Ciren_Jules
Explorer
Options

Hi Sirthommo, thanks for taking the time to share what you've established. Interesting. With a plethora of Home Networking routers/configs, really getting to the root-cause of these kind of issues is nigh-on impossible. All everyone can do is share and try it on their own config.! I'll try it on mine and see what happens. Thanks again.

0 Likes
Ciren_Jules
Explorer
Options

UPDATE: 14th Nov.'22. When I upgraded my broadband to FTTH/FTTP I had the ONT positioned behind the TV so that my Home Router could connect directly via Cat. 8 to the TV Ethernet Port - as I wanted to remove any possible impact of the TP Link Powerline Adaptor. I've had no issues with 'Lost Ethernet Connection' onscreen pop-up since - this with a static IP & DNS assigned by my ASUS AX88U. One conclusion to draw is that maybe the Ethernet Card is very sensitive to data packet loss and/or interference/flutter on packets through the interface?

0 Likes
sirthommo
First Poster
Options

No worries. It was irritating me so I'm glad that I at least got my device back up and running asap. 

The wireless "option" does work, however, with the amount of phones in the house, kids tablets, alexa units, kids laptops, nintendo switch and other consoles... adding yet another device to wifi was just not something I wanted to do. 

Samsung needs to acknowledge that this is potentially a problem and to remind themselves that people still use Ethernet. Wifi isn't always the answer. 

0 Likes
Options

As installers we come up against this regularly. Our usual fix is to fit a 5 port Poe+ switch behind the screen. We find it happens more with sky routers & placing a switch behind the screen means we have an ethernet cable no longer than 1m in length from the switch. A 5 port TP link switch is what we normally fit (around £35) we are often hiding wireless access points behind screens and fitting networked audio equipment as well so this works well for us. 

0 Likes
LaurenceBlume
Apprentice
Options

Hi 

0 Likes
Options

That’s exactly what I’m saying. I don’t know why other than a local switch and shorter cable gives a better connection. It’s just what seems to work for us 

0 Likes
LaurenceBlume
Apprentice
Options

Thanks! And actually.. who cares why if it works!

0 Likes
Dmd
First Poster
Options

I purchased a Terrace Tv in 2023. The Wi-Fi connection worked but the wired did not, even after exchanging for a new Tv, with the error being that my Ethernet network cable was not detected. Based on the advice above i inserted a 1m cat 8 cable into the tv Lan port, and connected the other end of the cat 8 to the 25 foot cat 6 wired to the router. It works. Shockingly, Samsung seems to have no clue about this issue. Thanks to this chain I’m good. 

0 Likes
Robert0917
First Poster
Options

Hi, Just starting to have this issue with my samsung. Can you give a little more detail on how you did this. Did you connect router to tv and did this through settings or connect computer to modem? I'm trying to connect with a macbook pro but can't seem to find the right path.

Thanks

0 Likes