Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung TV - no network cable detected

(Topic created on: 22-08-2020 11:50 AM)
Ismailk
First Poster
Options

I am trying to connect my Samsung TV to the internet using a network cable. The wireless option works 100%. However I want to connect using the cable.

I plug the cable in and the light does go on at the tip of the CAT 6 cable but when I connect it says

"No network cable detected. To connect to your wired network, insert a network cable into the TV".

I have placed a laptop right next to the TV and connected the same network cable to the laptop and there areno issues. Also works 100%.

I have reset the settings , been through a software upgrade as well.

What else can I try?

Model: UA55M6000

Software version : T-KTSUABC-1280.5

44 REPLIES 44
Ciren_Jules
Explorer
Options

Hi Laurence - thanks for this. Unsure what you mean by 'a house full of devices with their own wifi network'; do you mean 'devices connecting to the same wifi network(s) (typically 2.4G & 5G)? My advice is to consider investing in a new router. The tech has advanced in terms of your wifi speed not being restricted by the speed of the slowest device on the wifi network (MU-MIMO). I'm a long-time fan of ASUS Routers running Merlin's Firmware. Just a thought.

0 Likes
Ciren_Jules
Explorer
Options

Thanks for sharing this. The issue I - and many others - have is the intermittent drop-out over ethernet. So it's not 'server works' or 'always works' it's unstable. I tried to use mine Samsung over a Powerline Adaptor plus Ethernet to the TV; I can't connect the TV directly into a router Port.  Further, on my ASUS AX88U Router there is no option to configure LAN Ports as you show. Which Make/Model of Router or LAN Switch (?) are you using?  Also, what does that enable over-and-above the standard protocols used by wired Router Ports?

0 Likes
Faruk Abou Rafeh
First Poster
Options

Thank you alooooot you saved me ! It even worked on my Sony TV 2019 model with cat 6 only diff my TPlink AX11000 calls it IPTV enabled so I just enabled this option where the tv cable is connected and voá-la working 100%

0 Likes
tomtom8
First Poster
Options

I have exactly same situation on my new QE85Q60TAUXXU. All internet cables in the house are cat 5. Samsung e-manual states the use of cat 7 cable. This is difficult to understand as the network speed in UK is generally very slow, less than 100Mbps, a cat 5 cable is more than enough to handle. Just as I am about to buy cat 7 cables I read this article. I may change my mind to get the cat 8, just in case I buy another TV in the future with similar requirement. It is not a simple change of one cable, it may involve a few. I still worry that the cables used by the builder between the source node and each room may be of a lower grade. Hope the TV is not that intelligent. Thx.

0 Likes
ShipKicker
Student
Options

I had the same issue with QN85 4K Smart TV where it would not connect to wired connection (wireless was fine). I have CAT5 ethernet cable & I acknowledge the manual states to use CAT7 shielded. I did not want to run a new CAT7 wire under the home etc as this would be a project. I have a Unifi Network that allows much customization so this solution may not work for all. I went into the Unifi Controller GUI for the Unify LAN switch device & changed the "port profile override" for the PORT "line speed" to be "100/10 Mpbs FDX" and then it worked. The default for the "line speed" was to "AutoNegociation" and this seemed to be in the way. If your "router/switch" allows you to "hard-code" the line speed protocol, maybe that will work for you. Hopefully this will continue to work long term and I will not have to change out the line to CAT7.

GabrielN
First Poster
Options

How did you get to this screen and do this?

0 Likes
Ciren_Jules
Explorer
Options

Unsure what you mean by 'this screen's. Can you please expand your description if you want people to help/feedback?

0 Likes
kendolew
First Poster
Options

Samsung TV model 2021 (AU7700  smart tv 4K UHD, 55 inch). Was tearing my hair out why the new TV kept saying cable not plugged in. After changing to CAT7 cable, it works. So yes, TV won't take CAT5 cable. You need the higher quality cable. One possible way to "trick" it is to put a network switch with your CAT5 cable with internet, and then CAT 7 from switch to the TV. I will try this because my CAT5 cable was laid through the external wall. So not easy to replace. Can't figure out why they need this CAT7 because CAT5 can go up to 100 MBits and Netflix 4k HD requires 25 MBits. 

0 Likes
Ciren_Jules
Explorer
Options

Thanks for sharing this; I went for CAT8 from my Router and then into the TV. It initially appeared to work but then the original intermittent 'drop-out' re-appeared. Can you please update us on if this is a permanent 'fix' for you? If it is, then it's maybe my TP Powerline adapters! :-(. Tbh, fortunately the WiFi is great in our house so my alternative WiFi Connection is fine.

0 Likes
kendolew
First Poster
Options

Yup it's working.. atm I've hooked the cat 7 cable from TV into the mesh device, which is a gigabit port and then that communicates with another mesh device (wireless) before going into the main router. Been watching few movies on Netflix since.  Is it possible your router port can't take gigabits? 

0 Likes