Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Q9F 2018 not recognizing Chromecast with Google TV

(Topic created on: 23-03-2021 11:46 AM)
jockebq
Apprentice
Options

I just plugged in my Chromecast with Google TV in HDMI 1 on my Samsung Q9F 65" (2018). And it takes forever when trying to discover what device it is, after a while it says "Unknown HDMI device". However the device does function, and CEC seems to function (but not all the time, sometimes it does not react when turning off via CEC).

Manual setup does not help either, as Google or Chromecast is not available to select in the list.

How do I setup my Chromecast with Google TV with my Samsung TV, to make it become recognized?

27 REPLIES 27
Dacros
Journeyman
Options

Posting here because I've been having this issue too. Samsung Q70R (55 inch) does not recognize the Chromecast with Google TV. Seems like this should be an easy fix, so I am amazed this is still a problem at all!

Dacros
Journeyman
Options

Hey Chris,

Is there any way to make this issue more known to Samsung? It's been a long time and this issue is still not fixed. I'd like for the. Chromecast with Google TV to be recognized, like the other Chromecast devices (i.e. Ultra) are. 

Oethesaint
Apprentice
Options

Any updates on this issue Samsung? Thanks

Dulox
Apprentice
Options

Did anyone get this to work yet?

My UE55NU8500 does show older Chromecast devices, but with my newest Chromecast with GoogleTV it shows as unknown device. 
Can’t set it up manually as well, since the brand of the chromecast is not in the list of brands. 
Can anyone please help me out?

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@Dulox: Apologies if you have tried this already, but please try tapping the Home button on your remote and head to Source > Scroll over to your connected Chromecast device > Scroll up to 'Edit'. Are you able to change the name of the device from here? If not, try connecting it to another HDMI input to see if this helps.

0 Likes
Dacros
Journeyman
Options

@Dulox the automatic recognition of the device still does not work on my experience. 

@AndrewL manual edits to the name of the device are certainly possible, but that is not the issue at hand. The device should be recognised automatically, just as a Nintendo Switch, Xbox Series X or even a Chromecast Ultra is recognised automatically when plugged in.

rktchip
Journeyman
Options

@Dacros  correct, still does not auto detect Google Chromecast.  

I don't think Samsung has this on their to do list to resolve. It would be very easy to figure it out if they wanted to.

Dulox
Apprentice
Options

Well, as said by the others, this is not really the problem. I am able to rename the source, but the problem is it should be automatically detected. 
All previous versions of chromecasts are detected correctly. 

Problem should be fixed easily with an update. @AndrewL Do you have a technical colleague who could give us an update on this topic?

0 Likes
ReHig
First Poster
Options

I bought a new Chromecast Google TV and my Samsung TV will not recognize it...I took the chromecast back and got a new one thinking it was bad and still doing the same thing.  Tried resetting everything too.

The worst part is the TV won't turn off without using the Samsung remote so now I have to use two remotes.  Any ideas on how to get the remote to turn tv off?  I think since it hasn't recognized the device it won't give it the access when not in chromecast.

0 Likes
Dulox
Apprentice
Options

Is there anyone of Samsung looking into this problem yet!?

Still no solution an still no response from Samsung?

Is it possible to add the brand Google to the universal remote. I see brands like Apple, Roku, Xbox Western Digital, Netgear , D-Link, Asus. How difficult is it to add Google to it with the chromecast with googletv?

0 Likes