Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remove the Samsung TV Ad from homescreen

(Topic created on: 14-09-2022 04:55 PM)
autorick
Student
Options

I have recently bought a Samsung QE50Q60BAUXXU

Every time I turn it on or go to the home screen, a really annoying ad starts up for Samsung TV plus, "1000s of movies and TV shows..." 

Does anybody, for the love of god, know how to disable this?

(It's absolutely mad that an automatic ad is built into your own tv!)

49 REPLIES 49
Frameuser
Apprentice
Options

Can confirm as mentioned by others that changing the privacy settings will get rid of the ads on the home screen, there is a big wasted space at the top of the tv and I wish I could rearrange it to have the apps on 2 or 3 rows instead, but it's much better than having to see ads and them autoplaying sometimes.

20230929_160255.jpg

0 Likes
weixiang
First Poster
Options

Thanks for this. Samsung sucks. I just bought a 77" S90C and paid over $9k for it and invited all my friends for game night. All my friends came and saw the ads block and saw me how I angry and frustrated I was trying to get rid of it.  Well, those who came will definitely not be buying a Samsung TV after that. (High end tv with no option to turn-off ads?! What a cheap and dumb trick Samsung)

Adam Zappel
Explorer
Options

So, can confirm after. 6mnths haven’t seen the ad again. So, the steps recommended by Jay122 and topdavis worked for me. 
good luck folks! 

0 Likes
Adam Zappel
Explorer
Options

I did this too. Including the other steps mentioned before. No ads anymore. 

0 Likes
Jay122
Explorer
Options

What’s new now is another placeholder like icon has appeared. It does nothing. You can’t move it. Nothing happens if you select and OK it. 
see photo. 
It also seems that the privacy opt out settings have changed. 
I am on firmware 1520 since a couple of weeks.  The new icon just appeared a few days ago.

image.jpg

Abhijit_patra
Apprentice
Options

Same is happening for me, the new placeholder for ads , cheapest trick in the book from Samsung 

0 Likes
Frameuser
Apprentice
Options

Yup same thing has happened to mine, just appeared yesterday 😒

0 Likes
Jay122
Explorer
Options

It is quite disturbing and disappointing that we have to endure forced advertising on an expensive device we bought. They also removed the opt-out of advertising menu from the TV software. (Or I can’t find it anymore.) It seems we don’t own the TV and software. We just bought usage rights and are subject to mandatory Terms and Conditions updates by Samsung at their own discretion. I am unsure if I’d ever spend money on any Samsung device in the future. 

Frameuser
Apprentice
Options

I have a galaxy s20 phone that I'm very pleased with, luckily I could remove or disable most of the Samsung bloatware, it's a shame their tvs don't seem to have quite the same flexibility, I highly doubt I'll buy a TV from them again as well

0 Likes
topdavis
Journeyman
Options

Ok, I don't want to be that guy, but if you don't do anything to block the ads outside of making changes on the TV, upgrades to TV OS can discard the changes you made.  If you are using the internet for streaming, it only enhances the blocking of ads by not even allowing that communication.  In this instance, excluding the domains in your DNS server, no matter what it is.

You can do any or all of the following:

1 - In the TV network settings point to a different DNS server like OpenDNS and use that to block the ads coming into your environment.

2- Setup your own internet DNS server. Asustor NAS' come with Adguard which can block all known ads on every device you point to it.

3 - On your internet device's firewall, drop all traffic from ads from Samsung.  If you aren't sure, you can find out your TV's IP and filter the firewall logs to see what is communicating to that device and block those locations that are ads.  You have to take care because you don't want to block your streamers. so look for obvious things like ads.samsung.com

I agree, there shouldn't even be an issue with ads on a paid for TV, but because you are pointing your TV to the Internet, ads is something you have to deal with on any website. So this problem/issue really isn't that different, is it? 

Furthermore, to help you protect your TV from maleware and potentially hackers gaining access to the account information for your streaming services, it wouldn't hurt to treat the TV as any other Internet device that can be attacked by people with malicious intent. Tizen is a secure OS, but it only takes one hacker to find a vulnerability and exploit it and render your device useless.

So maybe think of this as a security thing, not a Samsung money grab thing (which it is).

0 Likes