Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remove the Samsung TV Ad from homescreen

(Topic created on: 14-09-2022 04:55 PM)
autorick
Student
Options

I have recently bought a Samsung QE50Q60BAUXXU

Every time I turn it on or go to the home screen, a really annoying ad starts up for Samsung TV plus, "1000s of movies and TV shows..." 

Does anybody, for the love of god, know how to disable this?

(It's absolutely mad that an automatic ad is built into your own tv!)

49 REPLIES 49
Nuggetnyc1
Student
Options

Hey there Abhijit_parta, 

The discussion here is actually centered around ads that appear on the "media" page (Samsung homepage) menu (note, the homepage might be called something different on other models). For example, currently an Apple TV+ sponsored ad appears on mine, offering a 3 month trial. But I already have AppleTV+, a premium channel. The sponsoring ads rotate. It's simply annoying and, as the others have mentioned recently, the previous fix is no longer a workaround. On my mac, I'm able to use a pop-up blocker (a simple install). At the very least this should be an option on expensive Samsung TV's. I didn't buy it to see advertisements and I pay premium streaming services to avoid them. 

0 Likes
topdavis
Journeyman
Options

Other TV manufacturers do this as well.  I have an LG tv that does this as well.  Just so you know - The LG does not allow you to put in DNS values if you connect via WiFi, but you can if you use an ethernet connection.  So for the one LG TV I have, I connect it via ethernet and use my AdGuard DNS server to block ads on the LG as well as the Samsung TV.  I do not receive annoying ads from either manufacturer.  On both there is wasted screen real estate, but no ads.

0 Likes
topdavis
Journeyman
Options

The only way Samsung will stop this is through a class action lawsuit or something.  It is  not clear on te packaging if ads come along with the purchase of the TV, so either they have to explicitly state tat on the packaging and descriptions or provide a clear opt-out feature in the TV that also prevents the free Samsung TV app from working.

I agree with everyone who believes that once you purchase the TV it's yours and no advertising should happen.  NOW if you rented/leased the TV like a car and after so many months you get an upgraded tv with a trade-in, then maybe the ads wouldn't be so annoying...

Jay122
Explorer
Options

Just an update:

- I received this message from Samsung Support mid December:

This is with regard your concern regarding the Advertisement in Samsung Television. Upon escalating, apparently, it cannot be completely removed, as this is part of Samsung Smart TV platform. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this is causing you.

Furthermore, our Management team is aware of your complaint, and what we are looking for is either providing a store credit, or a full product refund. Kindly let us know what you would like to do, so we can proceed further. Hoping for your understanding on this matter.

I am happy to confirm that the TV was picked up by a local Samsung partner and I was refunded the full purchasing price. (That took a few weeks, hence my late post.)

While I’m grateful for the refund, I am also concerned that Samsung is rather refunding the purchase price instead of developing an opt-out feature for the advertising. 

I found these two links. It appears to be big business for Samsung, displaying adds on their devices. I don’t want any of this in my household. All the best for you. My case is closed. Take care. 

https://www.samsung.com/us/business/samsungads/events/advanced-tv-landscape/

https://www.samsung.com/us/business/samsungads/solutions/ad-formats/

DerCarlos90
First Poster
Options

It did work. Thanks a lot. I was getting very annoyed. 

0 Likes
tjk2k
Apprentice
Options

I’ve just set up a new s90c tv and skipped all steps where any consent to terms was needed. This resulted in no ads. Then I’ve deleted Samsung TV Plus from the home screen and uninstalled all apps that it allowed me to from the Apps -> Settings menu. I’ve also changed the dns server, just in case.

What’s left is the Trending section and a few other ones. Anyone know how to kill that one?

IMG_0651.jpeg

0 Likes
Nav2
Student
Options

1. Settings

2. All settings 

3. General Privacy 

4. Terms and Privacy 

5. Click on Privay Choices 

6. Samsung TV plus privacy Settings 

7. Let it load and click on configure 

8. click on Reject All 

9. Power your TV on and Off. 

10. should be fixed. 

0 Likes
Portwel
First Poster
Options

Your TV is still in a retail mode or demo mode.

1. Go to settings 

2. Select general 

3. Select system Manager 

4. Select Usage mode and if it asks for password enter 0000 or 1234  

5. Select home mode.

6. Afterwards go to pictures and in picture mode select Dynamic and in sound switch to standard.

It works for me and I believe it will work for you too.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Adrockwe
First Poster
Options

This worked for me! Thanks!

0 Likes
r2-d2
Journeyman
Options

This started happening to me recently, after another firmware upgrade. Honestly, this is ridiculous, you pay 4k EUR for a TV to watch this trash on your home screen. No ads for almost half a year and now this. I will be contacting support tomorrow, and ask for a refund. If I was ever told in the store that I would have this "feature", I would never buy Samsung TV.

0 Likes